What UD Pulley is the best? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #31
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security
 
sleepyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Fan#: 15335
Location: SW Houston, TX, United States
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Posts: 25,089
FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
You forgot to delete this Sleepy ...




I was one the border with this one, but stand by my decision to leave it. I feel it's not too harsh considering that it just looks like a disagreement and the fact that I did post a in thread warning. If you want to go farther into this then contact me by PM and I will explain more if you feel the need for that.
__________________
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
sleepyboy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #32
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security
 
sleepyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Fan#: 15335
Location: SW Houston, TX, United States
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Posts: 25,089
FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdiesel View Post
The udp in the cfm set is the same size as the ford racing udp.
And the Ford Racing one is the same as the Esslinger one.
__________________
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
sleepyboy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #33
limeyrider
Focus Enthusiast
 
limeyrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Fan#: 35376
Location: Raleigh, United States
What I Drive: 2004 SVT, infrared, '72 Bonny 650

Posts: 242
FF Reputation: 3 limeyrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS74 View Post
Fswerks shows dyno charts with gains of 3.9hp and 2.4 torque, how is that Zero added gains? I had a UDP on my Probe GT it was a 5hp gain for very little money. Tune is in the works as well but that will come later. When ever you lighten something especially rotating mass it helps. Probably will go with the CFM since you get 2 lighter pulleys.
Mass is relative but what is key is BALANCE...

This is from Dinan's web page with sources cited:

THE DANGERS OF POWER PULLEYS AND UNDERSTANDING THE HARMONIC DAMPER
by: Steve Dinan

I have been threatening for a long time to write a series of technical articles to educate consumers and to dispel misconceptions that exist about automotive after-market technology. Motivated by problems with customer's cars resulting from the installation of power pulleys, I wish to explain the potential dangers of these products and address the damage they cause to engines. The theory behind the power pulley is that a reduction in the speed of the accessory drive will minimize the parasitic losses that rob power from the engine. Parasitic power losses are a result of the energy that the engine uses to turn accessory components such as the alternator and water pump, instead of producing power for acceleration. In an attempt to minimize this energy loss, many companies claim to produce additional power by removing the harmonic damper and replacing it with a lightweight assembly. While a small power gain can be realized, there are a significant number of potential problems associated with this modification, some that are small and one which is particularly large and damaging! The popular method for making power pulleys on E36 engines is by removing the harmonic damper and replacing it with a lightweight alloy assembly. This is a very dangerous product because this damper is essential to the longevity of an engine. The substitution of this part often results in severe engine damage. It is also important to understand that while the engine in a BMW is designed by a team of qualified engineers, these power pulleys are created and installed by people who do not understand some very important principles of physics. I would first like to give a brief explanation of these principles which are critical to the proper operation of an engine. 1) Elastic Deformation Though it is common belief that large steel parts such as crankshafts are rigid and inflexible, this is not true. When a force acts on a crank it bends, flexes and twists just as a rubber band would. While this movement is often very small, it can have a significant impact on how an engine functions. 2) Natural Frequency All objects have a natural frequency that they resonate (vibrate) at when struck with a hammer. An everyday example of this is a tuning fork. The sound that a particular fork makes is directly related to the frequency that it is vibrating at. This is its "natural frequency," that is dictated by the size, shape and material of the instrument. Just like a tuning fork, a crankshaft has a natural frequency that it vibrates at when struck. An important aspect of this principle is that when an object is exposed to a heavily amplified order of its own natural frequency, it will begin to resonate with increasing vigor until it vibrates itself to pieces (fatigue failure). 3) Fatigue Failure Fatigue failure is when a material, metal in this case, breaks from repeated twisting or bending. A paper clip makes a great example. Take a paper clip and flex it back and forth 90° or so. After about 10 oscillations the paper clip will break of fatigue failure. The explanation of the destructive nature of power pulleys begins with the two basic balance and vibration modes in an internal combustion engine. It is of great importance that these modes are understood as being separate and distinct. 1) The vibration of the engine and its rigid components caused by the imbalance of the rotating and reciprocating parts. This is why we have counterweights on the crankshaft to offset the mass of the piston and rod as well as the reason for balancing the components in the engine. 2) The vibration of the engine components due to their individual elastic deformations. These deformations are a result of the periodic combustion impulses that create torsional forces on the crankshaft and camshaft. These torques excite the shafts into sequential orders of vibration, and lateral oscillation. Engine vibration of this sort is counteracted by the harmonic damper and is the primary subject of this paper. Torsional Vibration (Natural Frequency) Every time a cylinder fires, the force twists the crankshaft. When the cylinder stops firing the force ceases to act and the crankshaft starts to return to the untwisted position. However, the crankshaft will overshoot and begin to twist in the opposite direction, and then back again. Though this back-and-forth twisting motion decays over a number of repetitions due to internal friction, the frequency of vibration remains unique to the particular crankshaft. This motion is complicated in the case of a crankshaft because the amplitude of the vibration varies along the shaft. The crankshaft will experience torsional vibrations of the greatest amplitude at the point furthest from the flywheel or load.
Simplified Flywheel and Crankshaft Assembly
Harmonic (sine wave) Torque Curves

Each time a cylinder fires, force is translated through the piston and the connecting rod to the crankshaft pin. This force is then applied tangentially to, and causes the rotation of the crankshaft.

The sequence of forces that the crankshaft is subjected to is commonly organized into variable tangential torque curves that in turn can be resolved into either a constant mean torque curve or an infinite number of sine wave torque curves. These curves, known as harmonics, follow orders that depend on the number of complete vibrations (cylinder pulses) per revolution. Accordingly, the tangential crankshaft torque is comprised of many harmonics of varying amplitudes and frequencies. This is where the name "harmonic damper" originates.
Critical RPM's

When the crankshaft is revolving at an RPM such that the torque frequency, or one of the harmonic sine wave frequencies coincides with the natural frequency of the shaft, resonance occurs. Thus, the crankshaft RPM at which this resonance occurs is known a critical speed. A modern automobile engine will commonly pass through multiple critical speeds over the range of its possible RPM's. These speeds are categorized into either major or minor critical RPM's.
Major and Minor Critical RPM’s

Major and minor critical RPM's are different due to the fact that some harmonics assist one another in producing large vibrations, whereas other harmonics cancel each other out. Hence, the important critical RPM’s have harmonics that build on one another to amplify the torsional motion of the crankshaft. These critical RPM’s are know as the "major criticals". Conversely, the "minor criticals" exist at RPM's that tend to cancel and damp the oscillations of the crankshaft.

If the RPM remains at or near one of the major criticals for any length of time, fatigue failure of the crankshaft is probable. Major critical RPM’s are dangerous, and either must be avoided or properly damped. Additionally, smaller but still serious problems can result from an undamped crankshaft. The oscillation of the crankshaft at a major critical speed will commonly sheer the front crank pulley and the flywheel from the crankshaft. I have witnessed front pulley hub keys being sheered, flywheels coming loose, and clutch covers coming apart. These failures have often required crankshaft and/or gearbox replacement.
Harmonic Dampers

Crankshaft failure can be prevented by mounting some form of vibration damper at the front end of the crankshaft that is capable of absorbing and dissipating the majority of the vibratory energy. Once absorbed by the damper the energy is released in the form of heat, making adequate cooling a necessity. This heat dissipation was visibly essential in Tom Milner's PTG racing M3 which channeled air from the brake ducts to the harmonic damper, in order to keep the damper at optimal operating temperatures. While there are various types of torsional vibration dampers, BMW engines are primarily designed with "tuned rubber" dampers.

It is also important to note that while the large springs of a dual mass flywheel absorb some of the torsional impulses conveyed to the crankshaft, they are not harmonic dampers, and are only responsible for a small reduction in vibration.
Cut-Out View of a Tuned Rubber Harmonic Damper

In addition to the crankshaft issue, other problems can result from slowing down the accessories below their designed speeds, particularly at idle. Slowing the alternator down can result in reduced charging of the battery, dimming of the lights, and computer malfunctions. Slowing of the water pump and fan can result in warm running, while slowing of the power steering can cause stiff steering at idle and groaning noises. It is possible to implement design corrections and avoid these scenarios, but this would require additional components and/or software.

Our motto at Dinan is "Performance without sacrifice". We feel our customers expect ultra high performance along with the legendary comfort and reliability of a standard BMW.

While it is common that a Dinan BMW is the fastest BMW you can buy, performance is not our only goal. Dinan isn't just trying to make the fastest car. Instead a host of considerations go into the development of our products. Dinan puts much more effort into these other areas than does our competition.

These considerations are Performance, Reliability (Warranty), Driveability, Emissions, Value, Fit and Finish. We feel that the power pulley is a bad way to get extra power from and engine and the potential for serious engine damage is too great.

This is a simplified explanation meant to be comprehensible by those who are not automotive engineers. In trying to simplify an extremely complex topic some precision was sacrificed although we believe this explanation to be as accurate as possible. We encourage our customers to educate themselves and understand the automotive after-market because we believe that our products are the best researched, engineered, and fabricated products available.

For those interested in a more in depth and technical explanation of this topic, the reference book is Advanced Engine Technology, written by Heinz Heisler MSc,BSc,FIMI,MIRTE,MCIT. Heinz Heisler is the Head of Transportation Studies at The College of North West London. His book is distributed in this country by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers).
__________________
Raleigh NC - Home of deep fried sushi....
limeyrider is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #34
RobS74
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Fan#: 78845
Location: Long Beach, CA
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus ZX5

Posts: 26
FF Reputation: -1 RobS74 Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
It was a one piece kit. I only bought that particular one due to Sport Compact Car using one on theirs. I used to love that magazine and I always liked how they dyno'ed all there cars and mods done to them. Here is a few links to the project focus they had back in the day.

Part 1


Part 2

Part 3


Part 4


Lots of great info in the links with dyno pics. I kind of consider this the focus bible of sorts. Now the header they use isn't the best one since we now know the SVT header is hands down the best one, but the majority of the info is still spot on. Hit me up if you have any other questions
Thanks man. Loved SCC except for the horrible job they did to Project Probe GT. Had a subscription for many years in fact I remember those issues.
RobS74 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #35
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security
 
sleepyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Fan#: 15335
Location: SW Houston, TX, United States
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Posts: 25,089
FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Not every project car got the love that it deserved. They did nothing with the SVT unfortunately also.
__________________
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
sleepyboy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #36
RobS74
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Fan#: 78845
Location: Long Beach, CA
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus ZX5

Posts: 26
FF Reputation: -1 RobS74 Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Not every project car got the love that it deserved. They did nothing with the SVT unfortunately also.
I remember that too. RIP SCC
RobS74 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #37
RobS74
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Fan#: 78845
Location: Long Beach, CA
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus ZX5

Posts: 26
FF Reputation: -1 RobS74 Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyrider View Post
Mass is relative but what is key is BALANCE...

This is from Dinan's web page with sources cited:

THE DANGERS OF POWER PULLEYS AND UNDERSTANDING THE HARMONIC DAMPER
by: Steve Dinan

I have been threatening for a long time to write a series of technical articles to educate consumers and to dispel misconceptions that exist about automotive after-market technology. Motivated by problems with customer's cars resulting from the installation of power pulleys, I wish to explain the potential dangers of these products and address the damage they cause to engines. The theory behind the power pulley is that a reduction in the speed of the accessory drive will minimize the parasitic losses that rob power from the engine. Parasitic power losses are a result of the energy that the engine uses to turn accessory components such as the alternator and water pump, instead of producing power for acceleration. In an attempt to minimize this energy loss, many companies claim to produce additional power by removing the harmonic damper and replacing it with a lightweight assembly. While a small power gain can be realized, there are a significant number of potential problems associated with this modification, some that are small and one which is particularly large and damaging! The popular method for making power pulleys on E36 engines is by removing the harmonic damper and replacing it with a lightweight alloy assembly. This is a very dangerous product because this damper is essential to the longevity of an engine. The substitution of this part often results in severe engine damage. It is also important to understand that while the engine in a BMW is designed by a team of qualified engineers, these power pulleys are created and installed by people who do not understand some very important principles of physics. I would first like to give a brief explanation of these principles which are critical to the proper operation of an engine. 1) Elastic Deformation Though it is common belief that large steel parts such as crankshafts are rigid and inflexible, this is not true. When a force acts on a crank it bends, flexes and twists just as a rubber band would. While this movement is often very small, it can have a significant impact on how an engine functions. 2) Natural Frequency All objects have a natural frequency that they resonate (vibrate) at when struck with a hammer. An everyday example of this is a tuning fork. The sound that a particular fork makes is directly related to the frequency that it is vibrating at. This is its "natural frequency," that is dictated by the size, shape and material of the instrument. Just like a tuning fork, a crankshaft has a natural frequency that it vibrates at when struck. An important aspect of this principle is that when an object is exposed to a heavily amplified order of its own natural frequency, it will begin to resonate with increasing vigor until it vibrates itself to pieces (fatigue failure). 3) Fatigue Failure Fatigue failure is when a material, metal in this case, breaks from repeated twisting or bending. A paper clip makes a great example. Take a paper clip and flex it back and forth 90° or so. After about 10 oscillations the paper clip will break of fatigue failure. The explanation of the destructive nature of power pulleys begins with the two basic balance and vibration modes in an internal combustion engine. It is of great importance that these modes are understood as being separate and distinct. 1) The vibration of the engine and its rigid components caused by the imbalance of the rotating and reciprocating parts. This is why we have counterweights on the crankshaft to offset the mass of the piston and rod as well as the reason for balancing the components in the engine. 2) The vibration of the engine components due to their individual elastic deformations. These deformations are a result of the periodic combustion impulses that create torsional forces on the crankshaft and camshaft. These torques excite the shafts into sequential orders of vibration, and lateral oscillation. Engine vibration of this sort is counteracted by the harmonic damper and is the primary subject of this paper. Torsional Vibration (Natural Frequency) Every time a cylinder fires, the force twists the crankshaft. When the cylinder stops firing the force ceases to act and the crankshaft starts to return to the untwisted position. However, the crankshaft will overshoot and begin to twist in the opposite direction, and then back again. Though this back-and-forth twisting motion decays over a number of repetitions due to internal friction, the frequency of vibration remains unique to the particular crankshaft. This motion is complicated in the case of a crankshaft because the amplitude of the vibration varies along the shaft. The crankshaft will experience torsional vibrations of the greatest amplitude at the point furthest from the flywheel or load.
Simplified Flywheel and Crankshaft Assembly
Harmonic (sine wave) Torque Curves

Each time a cylinder fires, force is translated through the piston and the connecting rod to the crankshaft pin. This force is then applied tangentially to, and causes the rotation of the crankshaft.

The sequence of forces that the crankshaft is subjected to is commonly organized into variable tangential torque curves that in turn can be resolved into either a constant mean torque curve or an infinite number of sine wave torque curves. These curves, known as harmonics, follow orders that depend on the number of complete vibrations (cylinder pulses) per revolution. Accordingly, the tangential crankshaft torque is comprised of many harmonics of varying amplitudes and frequencies. This is where the name "harmonic damper" originates.
Critical RPM's

When the crankshaft is revolving at an RPM such that the torque frequency, or one of the harmonic sine wave frequencies coincides with the natural frequency of the shaft, resonance occurs. Thus, the crankshaft RPM at which this resonance occurs is known a critical speed. A modern automobile engine will commonly pass through multiple critical speeds over the range of its possible RPM's. These speeds are categorized into either major or minor critical RPM's.
Major and Minor Critical RPM’s

Major and minor critical RPM's are different due to the fact that some harmonics assist one another in producing large vibrations, whereas other harmonics cancel each other out. Hence, the important critical RPM’s have harmonics that build on one another to amplify the torsional motion of the crankshaft. These critical RPM’s are know as the "major criticals". Conversely, the "minor criticals" exist at RPM's that tend to cancel and damp the oscillations of the crankshaft.

If the RPM remains at or near one of the major criticals for any length of time, fatigue failure of the crankshaft is probable. Major critical RPM’s are dangerous, and either must be avoided or properly damped. Additionally, smaller but still serious problems can result from an undamped crankshaft. The oscillation of the crankshaft at a major critical speed will commonly sheer the front crank pulley and the flywheel from the crankshaft. I have witnessed front pulley hub keys being sheered, flywheels coming loose, and clutch covers coming apart. These failures have often required crankshaft and/or gearbox replacement.
Harmonic Dampers

Crankshaft failure can be prevented by mounting some form of vibration damper at the front end of the crankshaft that is capable of absorbing and dissipating the majority of the vibratory energy. Once absorbed by the damper the energy is released in the form of heat, making adequate cooling a necessity. This heat dissipation was visibly essential in Tom Milner's PTG racing M3 which channeled air from the brake ducts to the harmonic damper, in order to keep the damper at optimal operating temperatures. While there are various types of torsional vibration dampers, BMW engines are primarily designed with "tuned rubber" dampers.

It is also important to note that while the large springs of a dual mass flywheel absorb some of the torsional impulses conveyed to the crankshaft, they are not harmonic dampers, and are only responsible for a small reduction in vibration.
Cut-Out View of a Tuned Rubber Harmonic Damper

In addition to the crankshaft issue, other problems can result from slowing down the accessories below their designed speeds, particularly at idle. Slowing the alternator down can result in reduced charging of the battery, dimming of the lights, and computer malfunctions. Slowing of the water pump and fan can result in warm running, while slowing of the power steering can cause stiff steering at idle and groaning noises. It is possible to implement design corrections and avoid these scenarios, but this would require additional components and/or software.

Our motto at Dinan is "Performance without sacrifice". We feel our customers expect ultra high performance along with the legendary comfort and reliability of a standard BMW.

While it is common that a Dinan BMW is the fastest BMW you can buy, performance is not our only goal. Dinan isn't just trying to make the fastest car. Instead a host of considerations go into the development of our products. Dinan puts much more effort into these other areas than does our competition.

These considerations are Performance, Reliability (Warranty), Driveability, Emissions, Value, Fit and Finish. We feel that the power pulley is a bad way to get extra power from and engine and the potential for serious engine damage is too great.

This is a simplified explanation meant to be comprehensible by those who are not automotive engineers. In trying to simplify an extremely complex topic some precision was sacrificed although we believe this explanation to be as accurate as possible. We encourage our customers to educate themselves and understand the automotive after-market because we believe that our products are the best researched, engineered, and fabricated products available.

For those interested in a more in depth and technical explanation of this topic, the reference book is Advanced Engine Technology, written by Heinz Heisler MSc,BSc,FIMI,MIRTE,MCIT. Heinz Heisler is the Head of Transportation Studies at The College of North West London. His book is distributed in this country by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers).
Zetec motors are INTERNALLY ZERO balanced, meaning the factory pulley IS NOT a harmonic dampener of any kind. This means swapping the crank pulley will have NO adverse effects on engine longevity.
RobS74 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #38
bradshsi
Focus Enthusiast
 
bradshsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Fan#: 58770
Location: Upstate NY, NY
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue Turbocharged SVT

Posts: 215
FF Reputation: 6 bradshsi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyrider View Post
Mass is relative but what is key is BALANCE...

This is from Dinan's web page with sources cited:

THE DANGERS OF POWER PULLEYS AND UNDERSTANDING THE HARMONIC DAMPER
by: Steve Dinan....


....While it is common that a Dinan BMW is the fastest BMW you can buy, performance is not our only goal. Dinan isn't just trying to make the fastest car. Instead a host of considerations go into the development of our products. Dinan puts much more effort into these other areas than does our competition.


Dinan is well known and respected but he writing about BMW engines. I think you need to explain the relevance of this to Ford Zetec engines.
__________________
Sona si latine loqueris

Last edited by bradshsi; 10-12-2012 at 03:24 PM.
bradshsi is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #39
iminhell
C2H5OH
 
iminhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Fan#: 36222
Location: Darwin, MN
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Posts: 10,429
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS74 View Post
Zetec motors are INTERNALLY ZERO balanced, meaning the factory pulley IS NOT a harmonic dampener of any kind. This means swapping the crank pulley will have NO adverse effects on engine longevity.

I have covered this before.
There are 3 types of pulleys in automotive use, a pulley, a dampener and a balancer. Each has a specific purpose.

A pulley is simply there for a belt to ride on and rotate.
A balancer is used to help balance some component. It offsets torsional flex in an internal shaft generally.
A dampener is used to absorb, limit or isolate harmonic vibration from one component to another.

The zetec has a harmonic dampener.
__________________
Don't "think outside the box".
There is no box.
Do it correct, or do it twice.
iminhell is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #40
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security
 
sleepyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Fan#: 15335
Location: SW Houston, TX, United States
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Posts: 25,089
FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
I have covered this before.
There are 3 types of pulleys in automotive use, a pulley, a dampener and a balancer. Each has a specific purpose.

A pulley is simply there for a belt to ride on and rotate.
A balancer is used to help balance some component. It offsets torsional flex in an internal shaft generally.
A dampener is used to absorb, limit or isolate harmonic vibration from one component to another.

The zetec has a harmonic dampener.


I agree, if it wasn't then it wouldn't be so heavy in the first place. It would just be a stamped steel pulley or something. It's just there to dampen the vibes so the normal folks won't complain when getting groceries.
__________________
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
sleepyboy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.