Clearbra worth it? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Is clearbra protection worth it?
Yes. Very much worth it. 26 38.81%
No. Waste of money. 16 23.88%
No experience with it. 25 37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #31
StockTalon

Fan#: 94771
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
Huh - everything I had quoted came back as only the 4" (-ish) strip at the bottom.
The places around here do the whole hood and on some cars, the whole fender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #32
Richs10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95786
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Richs10 Good Standing Member
I say go for it but use a reputable installer and it will cost some bucks to have it done right. I've seen some bad installs and there was nothing 'invisible' about them.

I had it done on my MINI Cooper and the front end was perfect after 4 years. It cost about $900 (entire front end, all lights, side mirrors and door edge guards) but guy who did it came highly recommended and did a stellar job. One tip he gave me after the job was finished: for the first week or so, use a credit card to go over the edges and any areas around emblems and such. This really helped to seal the edges and prevent any dirt from rain etc getting behind the edges.

So, I get my new Focus and decided not to do it. The county decides to grind down and resurface the main road I commute on. Three nice new chips on my hood; two of them down to the undercoating. I'm pretty pissed at myself right now.

Edit: fyi, mine was done by Matt at FrontGuard in Annapolis using Scotchgard film. Most people couldn't even see it. He liked Scotchgard because it had little or no 'orange peel' effect. The price varies depending on the complexity of the body work. I think that's why the MINI was so expensive to do. BTW, my MINI was white and there was never a yellowing issue after 4 years. The car was not garaged.

Rich
Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #33
kevinxb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96008
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kevinxb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTalon View Post
The places around here do the whole hood and on some cars, the whole fender.
Mine goes 24" up the hood
Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #34
kevinxb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96008
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kevinxb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post
I say go for it but use a reputable installer and it will cost some bucks to have it done right. I've seen some bad installs and there was nothing 'invisible' about them.

I had it done on my MINI Cooper and the front end was perfect after 4 years. It cost about $900 (entire front end, all lights, side mirrors and door edge guards) but guy who did it came highly recommended and did a stellar job. One tip he gave me after the job was finished: for the first week or so, use a credit card to go over the edges and any areas around emblems and such. This really helped to seal the edges and prevent any dirt from rain etc getting behind the edges.

So, I get my new Focus and decided not to do it. The county decides to grind down and resurface the main road I commute on. Three nice new chips on my hood; two of them down to the undercoating. I'm pretty pissed at myself right now.

Edit: fyi, mine was done by Matt at FrontGuard in Annapolis using Scotchgard film. Most people couldn't even see it. He liked Scotchgard because it had little or no 'orange peel' effect. The price varies depending on the complexity of the body work. I think that's why the MINI was so expensive to do. BTW, my MINI was white and there was never a yellowing issue after 4 years. The car was not garaged.

Rich
Similar story here on my previous car, a Nissan Juke. I use Proform in Ellicott City, Rob there does great work. I originally had just the hood done on the Nissan thinking the plastic surface of the bumper would make it less likely to be chipped. Of course this was when I was commuting down 95 from Harford Co. to Baltimore through all the construction they're doing at the 695 interchange. I got a few chips in the bumper in just a couple weeks and immediately called Rob up to do the rest of the package. I ordered some touchup which he put on the chips before doing the film, which made them less noticeable. I had no more issues after that. I didn't cut any corners and made sure to get the whole kit on the Focus from the beginning.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #35
F'nClassy
Eh!

Fan#: 97270
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 6 F'nClassy Good Standing Member
I got the paint protection package and after just over a month of having my car, I have 2 little stone chips (right next to each other, looks like from the same stone)....I'm considering this "clear bra" but damn that price is steeeeep.
HN#154
Sonic's MK3 Crew #07

Live together, die alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsken View Post
Instead of a "Dual Clutch", "Dual Personality" might be a better name.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #36
Richs10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95786
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Richs10 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinxb View Post
Similar story here on my previous car, a Nissan Juke. I use Proform in Ellicott City, Rob there does great work. I originally had just the hood done on the Nissan thinking the plastic surface of the bumper would make it less likely to be chipped. Of course this was when I was commuting down 95 from Harford Co. to Baltimore through all the construction they're doing at the 695 interchange. I got a few chips in the bumper in just a couple weeks and immediately called Rob up to do the rest of the package. I ordered some touchup which he put on the chips before doing the film, which made them less noticeable. I had no more issues after that. I didn't cut any corners and made sure to get the whole kit on the Focus from the beginning.
It seems like they're re-paving half the roads in Maryland this spring. Rt. 29 was a gravel path the other night, but I think I avoided getting any more paint chips. Oh well, che sara.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #37
zehkaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98706
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 zehkaiser Good Standing Member
Luckily I haven't experienced any chips yet. That being said, I stay WAY back from other cars in all driving conditions for this exact reason. While driving around town, I like to keep about 50 feet between me and the car in front of me. I usually go a bit farther on interstates. I can't keep people from merging in front of me, but I think it helps. Maybe I'm just paranoid...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #38
jamnesta
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93256
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 jamnesta Good Standing Member
I opted for one and here's why; we have a strong emotional attachment to something that hurtles down a debris filled road at 70 mph, a guarantee for heartache, especially in light of the new, less durable, environmentally friendly paints on today's cars. You just have to decide if you're willing to spend the money to buy some peace of mind.
I also added body side molding for the same reasons....now I just enjoy the drive, I've done what I can.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:07 AM   #39
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
got one of the cars done at Performance Window Tint in Columbia MD

http://www.performancewindowtinting....rotection.html

Excellent work. Only had the car for a year with it on before I traded it, but it looked great. Performance will be having a special soon to do the whole front for around 500, I think its hood/front bumper/mirrorcaps or something, I forget whats included

Beforehand I got several paint chips from commuting on 95 (probably elsewhere too). Granted, most places will cover an 18-24" section at the front of the hood and I will say I definitely had a few chips above that. The problem is how steeply sloped the front end of this car is. Just like others mentioned, waxing around it will be tricky.

Bottom line is this is as important as changing the oil. Dont pay 900 thats ridiculous. you should be able to get it cheaper, but definitely get it. Do one section at a time if you cant afford it all at once. Start with the hood first and consider just getting the whole hood done. Bumper can come afterwards considering most of the front facing surface area of the bumper is the black plastic grille. Hood is all topless just waiting to be ed!

Ive seen a few older cars with rock chips and they will rust (some will go deep enough). buy this or plan on repainting (and dealing with a freshly painted panel contrasting the rest of the car as it fades over time), unless your not gonna have this car for the long haul
Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #40
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qksc2 View Post
At that price it is cheaper to have the hood/bumper resprayed when it gets bad enough lol.
That is exactly what I did years ago on a Miata. After my daily commute peppered my front bumper for two years, I had it removed and repainted for $300. I waited until I changed jobs to a location right near home :)

P.S. Contrary to what another posted suggested, there was no paint-fade issues with the older paint but a perfect match.

Last edited by Seriously Focused; 12-02-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Added Info

Bookmarks & Social Networks