B-Day Gift Help for 17 yr old Boy - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
richp5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104739
What I Drive: 2006, Corvette Convertible

FF Reputation: 1 richp5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
B-Day Gift Help for 17 yr old Boy

My son has a 2002 Ford Focus (don't know model but the mechanic said it had the larger engine and it's a four door with auto/leather/sun roof). He wants to bling it out but most of his ideas are of the Pep Boys variety, he added a chrome deal on the tail pipe, which I think looks kinda cheap. I'm looking for a birthday gift in the $300-$400 neighborhood and would appreciate any suggestions. My first thought was wheels (he's surprisingly pleased with the upgraded stock stereo) but figured you folks know more than I do. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Fattie
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46016
What I Drive: 6 Duratec Focus

FF Reputation: 5 Fattie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
wheels are always a good idea. there are tons of members in cali , and you should be able to get a good deal locally on some good wheels. check the for sale section. Personally i love the EAP wheels , and you should be able to get a set , even with tires for 400.

3 04 zx4's
2 05 zx3's
1 03 zx3
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
He's young, please keep him away from that store and stores like it.

For $400 or so, you could get him a nice set of 16s. He may need new tires. Can you take a picture so we can see what he's working with now?

For $300 you could get him SVT suspension (struts, springs, and shocks) from Tousley Ford. This is my car with that suspension:

Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
katiekay
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔoℲ

Fan#: 42025
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 59 katiekay Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (48)
to FF!

First refer your son to this site so we can help him steer clear of "blinging" a Focus. For your price range you could get him a real exhaust, but since he wants to be "show" instead of "go", you could look in the BST section for appearance upgrades such as SVT front bumper, sideskirts, SVT wheels. Maybe even a decent set of Machs(headlights). You can get his car more low for that price too, check into the FRPP kit, or Eibach sportlines for about a 1.5" drop.

It sounds like his engine is a 2.3 Duratec which is an awesome find for that year, they take bolt-ons quite well - hopefully you can get him into performance.

Try to keep him on the OEM+ and he will appreciate it more.
Hatch Nation #8
September 2012 Ride of the Month
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
FSWerks exhaust (located in Anaheim) - http://www.focussport.com/exhaust.htm

SVT suspension - http://focus.c-f-m.com/fordracingsvt...0-05focus.aspx You would need to get the rear sway bar bushing kit also - http://focus.c-f-m.com/prothane21mmr...0-06focus.aspx And strut mounts/bearings from Ford.

Tire Rack has a good amount of wheels on closeout that would be within your price range but then you need tires also - http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...All&sort=Price

Short throw shifter - http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfmadjustable...ocuszetec.aspx
Old 10-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Kevastator
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104674
What I Drive: 05 Slowbaru Outback

FF Reputation: 2 Kevastator Good Standing Member
My suggestion, Get him a gift certificate to tirerack.com, because they have a feature where you can see the wheels on your car, and he can go on and pick out the ones he likes the best.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
richp5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104739
What I Drive: 2006, Corvette Convertible

FF Reputation: 1 richp5 Good Standing Member
Thanks much for the prompt and helpful responses! I hang out on the Corvette Forums site and every other post someone is trashing the next guy and they also seem to go off on personal tangents forgetting the original post. I like the exhaust idea as he added the chrome tailpipe extension for more sound. BTW, I added CAI & Borla to my 436 HP car so I'd definitely like him to consider speed but again he's only been driving a few months which was my rationale for buying the Focus (economical, slow car I thought). I'll steer him this way after this weekends Birthday.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Dark 007
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80502
What I Drive: 2001 marshall red LX

FF Reputation: 1 Dark 007 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevastator View Post
My suggestion, Get him a gift certificate to tirerack.com, because they have a feature where you can see the wheels on your car, and he can go on and pick out the ones he likes the best.
I second that!

Posted via iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 10-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
intake, exhaust, cf hood, springs (save some money for the instal) svt wheels, asian massage with happy ending etc.... many many choices
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
1sloho
12 years strong

Fan#: 111
What I Drive: '02 zx5

FF Reputation: 17 1sloho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroinsa View Post
It sounds like his engine is a 2.3 Duratec which is an awesome find for that year, they take bolt-ons quite well.
2.3 wasnt offered in 02. started in 03 as a 04 model. he has the zetec which was the "bigger motor" over the spi.

i second the exhaust idea. a lil more power and u get the sound also.id personally go with borla.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->