Ford Puts Engine Roar Back into Refined Focus ST Cabin - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 10,452, Level 68
Points: 10,452, Level: 68 Points: 10,452, Level: 68 Points: 10,452, Level: 68
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 59 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
Hopefully the development and parts cost of the symposer didn't add too much to the overall price of the car ($50? $100? Who knows?). As for it still being there, I don't see that as a problem. It's inactive with light throttle, and you get engine noise on heavy throttle. That's a good thing, "artificial" or not. Plus if the exhaust is aftermarket, you get exhaust noise all the time.
A lot of time went it the development of that symposer= hence some of the late delayed time getting the ST out. And w/ that some w/ get the slow down your speeding & other crap from their wifes or gf's, when say you are merging on a onramp & there's a hole for you.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Points 2,210, Level 28
Points: 2,210, Level: 28 Points: 2,210, Level: 28 Points: 2,210, Level: 28
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
A lot of time went it the development of that symposer= hence some of the late delaid time getting the ST out. And w/ that some w/ get the slow down your speeding & other crap from their wifes or gf's, when say you are merging on a onramp & there's a hole for you.
I already get that from the wife when I shift at 3.5-4k with my Borla exhaust. "You're gonna blow your engine up!"

Tell you what, I'm scheduled to test drive the new ST tonight, and I'll give my feedback on the whole sound issue.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 80k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #23
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed

Points 7,035, Level 55
Points: 7,035, Level: 55 Points: 7,035, Level: 55 Points: 7,035, Level: 55
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
I wish manufacturers would stop doing this. They've been adding them to BMW's... they started added them to the new GTI's... and now the Focus ST. Why not just offer a better designed stock exhaust?? It's not impossible to make 4-cylinder, turbocharged (and even NA!) engines sound aggressive. And if you want to channel more of that sound into the cabin, simply remove or use thinner sound dampening materials to accentuate the car's sportiness (you also have the added bonus of less weight!).

It's absolutely ridiculous to me how they've created this sort of paradox between "quiet refinement" and "intimidating sportiness". I feel like they're trying to cater to two completely different demographics at the same time, and failing at both.

Personally if I'm going to buy the sport trim of any car, I can tell you right now it's not going to be because I want something quiet and comfortable. And you can bet that an older driver who is looking for something more quiet and refined sure as hell won't be happy when loud noises are artificially channeled into the cabin. It's just plain stupid IMO.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go out and tape some playing cards onto my bike's spokes and add some "GT-R" stickers to the frame.
MKV GTIs also have a "noise pipe" but it's purely mechanical, so to speak, no electronic gimmickry. Easy to remove and bypass - cleans up the engine bay a bit and also eliminates a potential spot for a boost leak.

I didn't like the additional sound it projected into my cabin and yanked it out.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #24
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX4STDoug View Post
MKV GTIs also have a "noise pipe" but it's purely mechanical, so to speak, no electronic gimmickry. Easy to remove and bypass - cleans up the engine bay a bit and also eliminates a potential spot for a boost leak.

I didn't like the additional sound it projected into my cabin and yanked it out.

Jealous. Makes me wish I hadn't skipped out on the offer of having 0% APR @ 72 months on the MkV GTI. I wimped out and stuck with the smaller payments of the Rabbit instead. Still kicking myself over that.

I wonder if the .:R32 got the noise pipe too. Although you'll never hear me complaining about the VR6's exhaust note, even if it's channeled directly into the cabin.

I think Mk6 GTI owners got royally screwed over though, where they introduced an electrical device. Although from what I've heard it still sounded nice when they yanked the thing out.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #25
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Points 1,895, Level 25
Points: 1,895, Level: 25 Points: 1,895, Level: 25 Points: 1,895, Level: 25
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
I think Ford should've just left it alone. The people who want intake noise penetrating the cabin are going to install aftermarket intakes, which are loud without any help from a symposer. The ST I drove sounded like the intake tube was disconnected, but only when I went past half throttle. Very boy racer.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #26
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Points 2,210, Level 28
Points: 2,210, Level: 28 Points: 2,210, Level: 28 Points: 2,210, Level: 28
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Just got back from my test drive, and my official opinion of the sound symposer is:

Meh. The car is just so damn quiet, its near impossible to hear or feel the engine. The symposer kicks in around half throttle, and sounds good, it's a deep warbley wuuhhh sound, but it's a bit like an on/off switch. They could have "blended" the sound in better somehow. But, am I glad they put it in? Yes, because it would be whisper quiet in the cabin without it. Would a louder exhaust be nice? You bet! But still I think my "rough", crude, loud, Borla'd SVT engine has more character than the ecoboost, because it is much less isolated from the driver like the ecoboost is. I'm sure it would grow on me if i owned it though.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 80k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #27
Focusblackzx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95212
What I Drive: 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer

Points 1,323, Level 20
Points: 1,323, Level: 20 Points: 1,323, Level: 20 Points: 1,323, Level: 20
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Focusblackzx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Why Ford don't put an old ST exhaust system in those ? 2 cats, a small mufler and no resonator (lunch-box) ..Old ST's have an awesome sound.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #28
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
But still I think my "rough", crude, loud, Borla'd SVT engine has more character than the ecoboost, because it is much less isolated from the driver like the ecoboost is. I'm sure it would grow on me if i owned it though.
Even today I miss my old '02 ZX3 with MagnaFlow exhaust. I don't know what it is about the 2.0L Zetec engine but it got along very well with most aftermarket exhausts. It wasn't hard to get that deep throaty, rhythmic tone out of the engine. It never sounded obnoxious and it never gave me any headaches on long trips.

You'd think that upgrading to a 2.5L, 5-cylinder engine would sound badass... but nope. I haven't found a single aftermarket exhaust for my car that sounds good. They all sound too raspy and rice burner-ish. As much as I love the engine, having an uneven number of cylinders kills the chance of having any good aftermarket exhaust options.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #29
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 10,452, Level 68
Points: 10,452, Level: 68 Points: 10,452, Level: 68 Points: 10,452, Level: 68
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 59 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusblackzx5 View Post
Why Ford don't put an old ST exhaust system in those ? 2 cats, a small mufler and no resonator (lunch-box) ..Old ST's have an awesome sound.
Sure do. ^^^^^^ And that was stock too.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #30
Montag
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81977
What I Drive: 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Points 537, Level 10
Points: 537, Level: 10 Points: 537, Level: 10 Points: 537, Level: 10
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Montag Good Standing Member
I would be embarrassed to buy a car with such a ridiculous feature. I'll just stick with a quiet car and make my own sound effects.

VROOM VROOOOOOM. RRRRRRRRRRRRR VRRRRRRR TPTPTPTPTPTPTPTP

Bookmarks & Social Networks