Need advice on buying used 2012 Focus - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you look hard enough, all cars have had some sort of recall.

http://www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPa...daSafetyRecall

Honda recalling CRV's due to a window switch that could turn into Fire!
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/09/h...ndow-switches/

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Be cautious. The 2012 Focus has more than its share of problems and a dealer network that seems to struggle with solutions. Ask yourself why an owner of a 2012 is going to be willing to take an absolute beating on depreciation by trading the car after a year or so of ownership? Maybe the car just didn't suit them. Or...
Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103124
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
I like my car so far (had it for a couple months 1750 miles 2012 SEL made july 2012 so a later build date). I get about 31 mpg and when i drive conservative with the car i can get about 36 or 37mpg and i live in SoCal and commute on the 405 fwy every day. Few things i dont like are:

I do hear a slight rattle in the front left not all the time and can barely hear it usually at low speeds. If my radio is on i cant really hear it. Second back seat is cramped if you frequently have passengers. (i had a 2010 accord before this was much roomier) although i dont hav emany passengers lol. Third stupid my ford touch and sync doesnt let me take advantage ofall the features with my iphone, but Bluetooth works perfectly and i can stream music fine. basically viewing text messages on the screen doesnt work.

I didnt get the nagigation just got the my ford touch without it. I basically use my phone with WAZE app for directions seems to work great. got a nice phone mount that fits in the cd player (mountek) i dont use cds anyways all mp3s.

i noticed also when i put into sport mode there is a tone more power and alot more fun to drive. obviously mpg will go down. when i am not in sport mode sometimes if i suddenly tried to punch on the gas it doesnt get the power or takes a second to get up and go that is very annoying to me. All in all i like the car and mainly like it for the way it looks and the mpgs of course. it also is fun to drive. It will be noticeably louder then other cars as well.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 2 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
My advice: buy the car, not the advice. Check it out, check carfacts on service issues for that particular car, not generic issues. For all the problems, there are plenty who have none. I own two of them with DCT and have had only one issue, the strut bearing on the right, on one car,fixed with no issues from the dealer. About what I expect from a new car, or any car, used or not. They are complicated mechanical and electronic devices and will have issues sometime in it's life cycle. For those who have real problems, I don't dispute your complaints. But they are yours, not everyones. I think it is a great car and don't regret buying either one of them.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Be cautious. The 2012 Focus has more than its share of problems and a dealer network that seems to struggle with solutions. Ask yourself why an owner of a 2012 is going to be willing to take an absolute beating on depreciation by trading the car after a year or so of ownership? Maybe the car just didn't suit them. Or...
Or maybe they couldn't afford it and it was repo'ed. Or they struck the lottery, got a settlement/payoff/bonus and now they can afford that Taurus SHO they've been coveting.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
I want to so badly love this car. It has the potential...but the electric steering...did they mess up big time. Trying to reinvent the wheel. This is my first new car..I bought it to AVOID problems. Now I have encountered the biggest problem yet from a vehicle. It is very disheartening, especially if I end up selling it and taking a huge financial loss.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 5 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Dudiness View Post
It's a very good car - but too big for me. I don't want anything bigger than Focus or with lower mpg than Focus. (Our other car is 08' Dodge Grand Caravan with 17mpg - no more big cars).
I love the look of the Fusion. Ford did a great job with it. How about the C-Max? Based off the Focus. Its got more head room, better fuel mileage, rear air conditioning. It uses a e-CVT instead of the DCT.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
My advice, take extended test drives. Try to put it in situations which you experience everyday.

I'm suffering from the dct issue. I still love the car, but I'm finding it harder to defend the shuddering and the rattling when I have passengers.

Sometimes it's come to the point where I feel the whole car will lurch and fall apart.
Do your research, I think any models that we're made after August 2011 are ok and the tsb worked fine for them. There are threads in this forum that go into detail about the issue. Be prepared for a lot of reading.

Would I recommend the Focus? Probably not until Ford gets it's act together and acknowledges that there are some models out there that have issues with the dct. You might want to look at the Dodge Dart.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using FF Mobile
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104678
What I Drive: 2008 Sandstone Dodge Grand Caravan

FF Reputation: 1 His Dudiness Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngkev1n1 View Post
It will be noticeably louder then other cars as well.
Why is that? I thought FF3 was a refined, quiet car, no?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #20
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104678
What I Drive: 2008 Sandstone Dodge Grand Caravan

FF Reputation: 1 His Dudiness Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerschro View Post
My advice: buy the car, not the advice. Check it out, check carfacts on service issues for that particular car, not generic issues. For all the problems, there are plenty who have none. I own two of them with DCT and have had only one issue, the strut bearing on the right, on one car,fixed with no issues from the dealer. About what I expect from a new car, or any car, used or not. They are complicated mechanical and electronic devices and will have issues sometime in it's life cycle. For those who have real problems, I don't dispute your complaints. But they are yours, not everyones. I think it is a great car and don't regret buying either one of them.
Yes, that's what I'm gonna do. BTW, how to know if a car wasn't a previous rental? I mean is there a law obligating rental firms to put that record on CarFax e.t.c. ?

Bookmarks & Social Networks