Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #38
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,948, Level 33
Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedG View Post
I'd like nothing better than it to be something simple. But I just don't see how my transmission's behavior could be caused leaking transmission seals contaminating the clutch. If that were the case, I would expect this behavior to occur through a wide range of speed, RPMs, and my foot pressure on the accelerator. In my experience, that is not the case. The behavior has only occurred when road and traffic conditions have forced me to have a feather-light touch on the accelerator at very low speeds (under 10MPH).
I think the seals leak on the clutch and initially only effect the 1st to 2nd gears because that's when you notice it first (lots of torque = more slipping)? It eventually starts slipping in gears 4 and 6 (at least in my car) which just ruins the driving experience, imho.

What I'm assuming it does effect is the adaptive programming and probably whatever "micro-slipping" is (lol, more like macro-slipping). My car is over-reving into second and engages super-slowly. People are honking at me at lights because I'm accelerating too slowly - not to mention the car dives (essentially brakes) into second gear and as a result, I've been taking over and shifting myself at ~3-4k RPM.

My car still makes weird noises and it seems the car is trying to avoid doing that by shifting at 3k+ RPM while in Drive which reduces the slippage at the cost of fuel mileage. But if I'm in gears 2, 4, or 6 and at 1.5-2k RPM I can hear an audible click-click-click-click (granted, it sounds different in gear 6 than in 2 or 4) from my car until I hit 2k RPM. I don't think I should have to monitor which gears I'm in and/or drive in sport mode 24/7 to avoid these issues I'm having. Not that that even eliminates them, it really just makes them less noticeable.

I swear, I'll post that video tonight, weather permitting.

EDIT: [Click me to hear 1st to 2nd gear clutch slippage!]

Last edited by PratoN; 10-11-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.