Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Page 21 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #201
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,925, Level 33
Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean View Post

I just don't get how nothing is being done about these issues.
We've been told by a series of reps who monitor this board that Ford is aware of DCT problems and is working on a solution. It may be that with the new Escape, CMax and Fusion engineering resources are scarce. Or it could be that there just isn't a palatable solution. Either way, the status quo isn't making for happy customers and isn't doing Ford's reputation any good.

Let's take the reps at their word and assume Ford is working on a solution. But could they please hurry?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #202
jellybean
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93883
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium

FF Reputation: 0 jellybean Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
We've been told by a series of reps who monitor this board that Ford is aware of DCT problems and is working on a solution. It may be that with the new Escape, CMax and Fusion engineering resources are scarce. Or it could be that there just isn't a palatable solution. Either way, the status quo isn't making for happy customers and isn't doing Ford's reputation any good.

Let's take the reps at their word and assume Ford is working on a solution. But could they please hurry?
I have had my car since January. Things are going from bad to worse. It has been in the shop probably 5 times. Enterprise Rental know me. I am very patient and have always given my dealer and Ford Customer Service on this board credit when due. Sorry if I am a little bit skeptical at this point.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #203
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
I'm trying to be optimistic here especially when I bring my car in today.

If the service reps give me the "it's normal" routine I don't know what I'll do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using FF Mobile
Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #204
sucof2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87385
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Ti Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sucof2012 Good Standing Member
Build date 8/1/11. 1st to 2nd shift was just fine until the mandatory TSB this past spring was required. Since then, I too have been experiencing the shuddering upon take off. Disabling TC does help, but I also noticed that if I choose Select Shift and take control with +/-, my take off from a stop is perfect every time. I honestly believe this is a software issue. not a hardware problem, at least for me.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #205
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:

Where did you get that information? I've never seen any of these reps admit to a problem anywhere, they just say to contact them.

Ford handing me a piece of paper explaining the transmission and basically telling me that I'm an ignorant yokel who doesn't understand the technology gives me no confidence at all that they are working on a solution or give a crap about their customers.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #206
armoore
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104658
What I Drive: 2012, Red SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 armoore Good Standing Member
I tried taking my Traction Control off yesterday and my car worked a lot better.
I have taken my car into the dealer so far only 3 times for the same probelms. I've tried to tell them the unresponsive transmission or slipping of the transmission has almost caused me multiple accidents. I was Downtown Chicago and it was shuttering and slipping so bad I could barely get my car up to 50. Had a truck almost hit me during this situation - very scary. Plus a few times getting on the Hwy my car has not wanted to accelerate to the going speed and almost got rearended & side swiped- this has happened to me about 4-5 times.
My car was made in March of 2011. I had the update done in July - worked great for a week then started to act even worse then before the update. Then I was told I needed to give it 1500 miles before I could come back in to allow the computer to get used to my driving. During that time we took a road trip in Western Wisconsin (very hilly) Almost stalled out on us about 10 times and sometimes I didn't know if we were going to get up the hills. Also very scary. Everytime I take it in I'm told it's working perfectly - I call BS. Of course it's not having the issues when I bring it in and they do not seem concerned that I have almost been in multiple accidents. Last time I was told if I knew how to drive a stick shift I wouldn't feel this way and would understand how my car works. I told the guy that I drove a stick shift for the first 10 years of my driving. He didn't say anyting after that but I was expecting him to come back - well you're just a girl you don't know how to drive.

So anyway.... Excited that my car does seem to react better with the Traction Control off. We will see how it reacts on a trip this weekend so is my husband since he now refuses to drive my car. Obviously something is not right with the Traction Control in most of our cars but who know if it will be taken care of.

By the way I have a friend that has the exact same car as me but hers was made in 8/2011 and she has had no issues even after the update.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #207
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoore View Post
I tried taking my Traction Control off yesterday and my car worked a lot better.
I have taken my car into the dealer so far only 3 times for the same probelms. I've tried to tell them the unresponsive transmission or slipping of the transmission has almost caused me multiple accidents. I was Downtown Chicago and it was shuttering and slipping so bad I could barely get my car up to 50. Had a truck almost hit me during this situation - very scary. Plus a few times getting on the Hwy my car has not wanted to accelerate to the going speed and almost got rearended & side swiped- this has happened to me about 4-5 times.
My car was made in March of 2011. I had the update done in July - worked great for a week then started to act even worse then before the update. Then I was told I needed to give it 1500 miles before I could come back in to allow the computer to get used to my driving. During that time we took a road trip in Western Wisconsin (very hilly) Almost stalled out on us about 10 times and sometimes I didn't know if we were going to get up the hills. Also very scary. Everytime I take it in I'm told it's working perfectly - I call BS. Of course it's not having the issues when I bring it in and they do not seem concerned that I have almost been in multiple accidents. Last time I was told if I knew how to drive a stick shift I wouldn't feel this way and would understand how my car works. I told the guy that I drove a stick shift for the first 10 years of my driving. He didn't say anyting after that but I was expecting him to come back - well you're just a girl you don't know how to drive.

So anyway.... Excited that my car does seem to react better with the Traction Control off. We will see how it reacts on a trip this weekend so is my husband since he now refuses to drive my car. Obviously something is not right with the Traction Control in most of our cars but who know if it will be taken care of.

By the way I have a friend that has the exact same car as me but hers was made in 8/2011 and she has had no issues even after the update.
Ours was built 8/2011 as well. I did turn off the traction control and my wife says the DCT is smoother from a start. She normally is pretty aggressive with the throttle and has learned that moderate throttle is best.

I've not driven it lately so I cannot give you my personal impressions. Maybe she will let me drive her car to my meeting tonight.

I hope you enjoy your upcoming trip.

I started driving manuals 50 years ago (yikes!!). The DCT on my wife's car has only surprised me once or twice after the sw FSA update last spring. I just ordered a Focus ST for myself and do believe that the Focus is a great car. I am certain that some owners have valid problems. I hope they are all resolved successfully.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #208
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
My dealer also had my car for 4 days. They asked if the service manager could drive it to and from work to test it. They put 100 miles on it. The result..."could not replicate the problem..They also handed me the piece of paper.

1. headliner glue...still not fixed.
2. MFT--mind of its own.
3. Silver trim on door---replaced but not in line with rest of trim on other panels
4. Strut issue--replaced.
5.* Keyless entry--Works when it feels like it.
6.* Transmission--slipping into neutral at 40mph. Grinding noise 1-2

I just don't get how nothing is being done about these issues.
1. Same issue, had the headliner replaced due to a stain, but it still rattles like a mofo. (Don't even get me started on the passenger seat and speaker rattles...)
2. Don't get me started - but I'll deal with it.
3. No issue here
4. Only have strut noises when there are a lot of people in my car, I haven't been worrying about it.
5. Same issue. I took it in to get it fixed under a TSB, they said they couldn't replicate it. >_> They handed me my keys and it took me like 5 pull/swipe combos to get it to register.
6. "Grinds" ("slips" is probably more accurate) when into 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

Quote:
We've been told by a series of reps who monitor this board that Ford is aware of DCT problems and is working on a solution.
I also respectfully disagree. They say it's normal unless there is transmission fluid outside the bell housing... or maybe unless your car stops moving, I presume? I'm considering separating my bell housing from the engine and seeing if transmission fluid seeps out. If so, what's the next step? Would I somehow magically void my warranty by doing that?

EDIT: Sorry I didn't upload the video of my transmission last night, it was really windy and started raining fairly heavily and I didn't think those were ideal conditions to record my clutch slippage.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #209
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,148, Level 40
Points: 4,148, Level: 40 Points: 4,148, Level: 40 Points: 4,148, Level: 40
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:

There's no way Ford could be unaware of the problems with the DCT!

I don't buy the "we're busy doing other things" argument either, but it is almost certainly the case that the solution isn't palatable to them and they're delaying the decision to do what they need to. This is typical bean counter management and is at the heart of why our country is in the condition it is -- I suspect folks from the EU would probably agree with me on that as they in much the same boat.

It seems likely to me that some but probably not all will need:

1. New clutch packs

2. Some new gears due to grinding

3. New seals

4. Another software update

It's also possible some may need some of the gear change actuators replaced as I suspect there may be a few that have been damaged.

Assuming this about covers the parts needed Ford will be out, when labor is figured in, about $1000-$1500 for perhaps a third of all 2012's sold so we're probably talking somewhere in the $75M range or about the money a top CEO makes in a year...

It would be wise for Ford to come clean on this and begin the recall process now. It makes little sense to delay work they're going to have to do anyway because all that does is drive away customers. As I said this smells so much like bean counter management and the biggest problem I have with that is that it isn't really bottom line profit/loss thinking but really more sub-total thinking. It's EASY to figure that spending $75M is undesirable but if that's where you leave it you lose sight of the $200M in lost sales due to your stonewalling.

Brian
Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #210
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
There's no way Ford could be unaware of the problems with the DCT!

I don't buy the "we're busy doing other things" argument either, but it is almost certainly the case that the solution isn't palatable to them and they're delaying the decision to do what they need to. This is typical bean counter management and is at the heart of why our country is in the condition it is -- I suspect folks from the EU would probably agree with me on that as they in much the same boat.

It seems likely to me that some but probably not all will need:

1. New clutch packs

2. Some new gears due to grinding

3. New seals

4. Another software update

It's also possible some may need some of the gear change actuators replaced as I suspect there may be a few that have been damaged.

Assuming this about covers the parts needed Ford will be out, when labor is figured in, about $1000-$1500 for perhaps a third of all 2012's sold so we're probably talking somewhere in the $75M range or about the money a top CEO makes in a year...

It would be wise for Ford to come clean on this and begin the recall process now. It makes little sense to delay work they're going to have to do anyway because all that does is drive away customers. As I said this smells so much like bean counter management and the biggest problem I have with that is that it isn't really bottom line profit/loss thinking but really more sub-total thinking. It's EASY to figure that spending $75M is undesirable but if that's where you leave it you lose sight of the $200M in lost sales due to your stonewalling.

Brian
Agree with all that. I'd add that I'm not 100% sure who makes the DCT, but ford would simply turn around and sue the shit out of them for whatever it costs them.

On a side note, i was curious if the 9th civic board was anything like ours and lo and behold it is similar. They have a separate mechanical issues area, but take a quick look:
http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/mec...echnical-chat/

They even have the same TCS off/on lag discussion. Clunking when backing up, etc.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.