Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 167 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #1661
pjbasid
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104936
What I Drive: 2012 Dark Grey Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 pjbasid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Automatic transmission Shudder

Hi all,
I purchased a used Focus SE about three weeks ago, with 31K miles on it. When I test drove it I noticed that shudder - the salesperson said it was just a really quick clutch and that's the way it feels. What?
Anyway I figured it just would take some getting used to. So I have tried easing on to the accelerator, stepping on it aggressively, and everything in between. Seems to me that the problem is getting worse. I have read a lot of posts from new owners that they hoped the problem would go away as the car "learned their driving habits." Did that work?? After 31K miles, is my car just learning the habits of a new driver, or is this a cronic issue with this vehicle? I love the car in every other way, but this is really annoying, and doesn't feel safe. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #1662
poole34
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102441
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 2 poole34 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbasid View Post
Hi all,
I purchased a used Focus SE about three weeks ago, with 31K miles on it. When I test drove it I noticed that shudder - the salesperson said it was just a really quick clutch and that's the way it feels. What?
Anyway I figured it just would take some getting used to. So I have tried easing on to the accelerator, stepping on it aggressively, and everything in between. Seems to me that the problem is getting worse. I have read a lot of posts from new owners that they hoped the problem would go away as the car "learned their driving habits." Did that work?? After 31K miles, is my car just learning the habits of a new driver, or is this a cronic issue with this vehicle? I love the car in every other way, but this is really annoying, and doesn't feel safe. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow...
I bought my car used and had the shuddering problem but after I pulled the negative battery cable for 10 minutes and followed the transmission reset procedure mine has been doing great. May not work for you but worth a shot. Also I gave it hell for a few days after doing the reset procedure.

1. Press the brake pedal.
2. Shift to Drive.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Shift to Reverse.
5. Wait 2 seconds.
6. Repeat (1-5) ten (10) times.
7. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle to 24.1 kmh (15 mph).
8. Brake gently to a complete stop (allow at least 6 seconds).
9. Repeat steps (7-8) five (5) times in dealership parking lot or similar setting.
10. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle performing 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts maintaining 1700-2000 rpm.
11. Accelerate to a speed between 80.5 kmh (50 mph) and 104.6 kmh (65 mph), achieve 6th gear, keep throttle steady with engine below 3000 rpm for a minimum of two (2) minutes.
12. Repeat step 11 two (2) times.
13. Test drive the vehicle.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #1663
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by poole34 View Post
I bought my car used and had the shuddering problem but after I pulled the negative battery cable for 10 minutes and followed the transmission reset procedure mine has been doing great. May not work for you but worth a shot. Also I gave it hell for a few days after doing the reset procedure.

2. Shift to Drive.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Shift to Reverse.
5. Wait 2 seconds.
9. Repeat steps (7-8) five (5) times in dealership parking lot or similar setting.
10. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle performing 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts maintaining 1700-2000 rpm.
11. Accelerate to a speed between 80.5 kmh (50 mph) and 104.6 kmh (65 mph), achieve 6th gear, keep throttle steady with engine below 3000 rpm for a minimum of two (2) minutes.
Thanks for that. I agree completely with the 'give it hell'. When I first took delivery of my new Ti the DCT was awful. One of my business associates has a turbo Audi with a 7 speed DCT and it is a rocket. After I got pissed off and started to give mine hell the DCT got a lot better. But it still wasn't on par with the Audi. So I took my Ti to my Ford dealer and told the service manager I wanted to climb out of the back seat after every DCT shift. Wow, he got the message and I got the DCT performance I wanted.

I am one of the lucky ones. I believe Ford is making great cars. But they have to get issues with the DCT solved sooner than later. I would like to see a number of software presets that dealers can program into the DCT that would match the customers performance criteria from smooth and gentle to Challenger liftoff.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #1664
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:

2. Shift to Drive.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Shift to Reverse.
5. Wait 2 seconds.

Someone should "sticky" this post, I believe someone else has mentioned this exact routine (for the drivetime sequence when reprogramming a DCT) quite a few months ago, but, I'm sure its buried deep in the ether somewhere now, LOL. Thanks for posting it up. Rep to you good sir.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #1665
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
Someone should "sticky" this post, I believe someone else has mentioned this exact routine (for the drivetime sequence when reprogramming a DCT) quite a few months ago, but, I'm sure its buried deep in the ether somewhere now, LOL. Thanks for posting it up. Rep to you good sir.
Better yet, finish Ford's job and put it in the Manual. Ford manuals are available online as downloadable PDFs. I downloaded the generic Focus manual then deleted all the things that don't apply to my Ti. I am going to insert the DCT reset protocol into the manual then put the manual on my iPad and iPhone. I am also going to try and see if I can display it on MFT screen. Gee, why hasn't Ford thought of that??
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #1666
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,841, Level 32
Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
I am also going to try and see if I can display it on MFT screen. Gee, why hasn't Ford thought of that??
Good idea!

(But I guess if you're having issues, a hard copy would be nice... especially if you're troubleshooting MFT or don't know that the manual is virtual.)
Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #1667
RKienhofer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104937
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus

FF Reputation: 1 RKienhofer Good Standing Member
yes have same problem with 13,000 miles on it and its in shop for the 2nd time today.
still waiting for there excuse. I believe my break in time is well past due.I also have a vibration at 40mph they are also looking at.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #1668
armoore
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104658
What I Drive: 2012, Red SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 armoore Good Standing Member
Quote:

2. Shift to Drive.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Shift to Reverse.
5. Wait 2 seconds.
Curious if this has solved your problems completely of if you are still having issues. Mine has been in multiple times and it's "all up on updates" Still is having shifting problems and wondering if I need to go in and demand the my clutches and seals be replaced. I am well over my "break in point" of 24000 miles. Because of some of the shifting issues it has almost cause me about 10 accidents because of poor acceleration on the highway.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #1669
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
I read all these posts, breaking in period, bad clutches, resetting the transmission, etc.
I've had no breaking in period, bad clutches or any need to reset my transmission, yet I have no problems. Shifting is smooth, no shuttering, no hesitations, and no grinding.
I actually like my Focus far more than my previous car, an Acura RSX.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #1670
kjl2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97883
What I Drive: 2012 se black

Points 81, Level 1
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
ok and the point is.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.