Sync microphone please help - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Mitch12
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104693
What I Drive: 2009 Sangria Red Focus Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 1 Mitch12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sync microphone please help

Hello there, this is my first post on here so first off apologize if anything is wrong. Ok, I have a 09 Ford Focus coupe SES which I bought used this summer. Sync worked great. I just had the windows tinted, including a 'visor strip' on the front windshield. Ever since this (yesterday) the Sync system will not head my voice at all. It seems clearly a microphone issue. I dont think the tint could somehow be blocking the microphone. Am I correct in that the mic is located in the rear view mirror? Could the tint affect it? or is it more likely the installers somehow broke/damaged/stole the mic? the mirror was twisted all the way down when I got my car back. I can't see much wrong however there is a whole on the back where something seems like it should be plugged in and nothing is plugged in. However, I have no idea if anything was ever plugged in there or if that is something different/extra.

Thanks for your help!
Mitch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you had a strip done on the windshield, then yes, the mirror is usually removed. Is there wiring that goes down to the mirror, or is it wireless? I don't have an 09, so I don't know.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92792
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 Minchkin Good Standing Member
It is NOT wireless. It seems that when they did the tint, they have either moved the wires up into the headliner, or they took them out. Either way, you should take it back to them and ask what they did with them. I'll be back, I'll take a picture of what it should be like.
SES #032
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast

Here you go. I have a 09 Coupe too
SES #032
Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
gtferrari
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88110
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 4 gtferrari Good Standing Member
reboot the system. check for updates at syncmyride.com check the wired connection

Rep Points dont add themselves
Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Mitch12
Focus Rookie

Thanks for all the responses. I have so far loved my focus coupe and this is very upsetting. It does seem that they must have messed with the wiring somehow. I just want to make sure I know exactly what to accuse them of before I go back. I took a picture of what it currently looks like, you can see the area on the back where it seems something should be plugged in. Thanks for that pic of your coupe mirror, mine doesn't seem to have that wire plugged into the back. Does this mean that they have removed the wire and perhaps forgot/on purpose didn't put it back? Do you really think they would have moved it to the headliner?

I havn't tried a reset or anything of the sync. However, it works great just can't in every other way, just can't hear me..so a reset doesn't seem like it would help?

Please check out the pic and continue to help.

I'm sorry I don't know how to put the pic on, the only option is to insert a URL but its a file on my computer...

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast

From the sound of it, they probably didn't know what it was for, so they decided to stuff the cord in the headliner when they went to put the window back on. I would just take it back to them with the picture and say,"Hey, look. My cars voice activation isn't working now, and where has this cord gone to?"

Also, to upload a picture, you can go to Photobucket and upload a picture there. After uploading it, you can usualy find a [img] code. Just copy and paste that code here. It is usualy just a URL with the [img] and [/img] tags around it.
SES #032
Old 10-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Mitch12
Focus Rookie

Thanks to everyone for the help. I emailed them the pictures (because they are a long ways away). Turns out the cords were tucked into the headliner and they forgot to plug them back in. I located them, plugged them in, and it works great. And a special thanks for the picture of what it is supposed to look like..saved the day

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast

You are welcome! You can learn a ton about your Focus if you browse the Duratec forums and here.
SES #032
Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch12 View Post
Hello there, this is my first post on here so first off apologize if anything is wrong. Ok, I have a 09 Ford Focus coupe SES which I bought used this summer. Sync worked great. I just had the windows tinted, including a 'visor strip' on the front windshield. Ever since this (yesterday) the Sync system will not head my voice at all. It seems clearly a microphone issue. I dont think the tint could somehow be blocking the microphone. Am I correct in that the mic is located in the rear view mirror? Could the tint affect it? or is it more likely the installers somehow broke/damaged/stole the mic? the mirror was twisted all the way down when I got my car back. I can't see much wrong however there is a whole on the back where something seems like it should be plugged in and nothing is plugged in. However, I have no idea if anything was ever plugged in there or if that is something different/extra.
Thanks for your help!
Mitch
Hey, Mitch -

Welcome to the forum! I'm happy to see the gang was able to help you out. I'm the In-Vehicle Technology girl on here. If you ever have SYNC, navigation, or MyFord Touch-related questions, give me a shout.

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks