replaced fuel pump still cuts out on corners - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
here's a pic my dealer sent me several years ago when he replaced my recalled pump. It's not very clear but do your best with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #12
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
'Half-ass fixes result in half-ass results; as you now know.'

Really. I fail to see how a new inlet screen or bottom disc can outdo a properly cleaned one, and I used to sell them. You'd have to be blind to not see any difference to make them not work.

I pulled pumps out of both my '00 and '02 when they both started cutting out and dying, and simply cleaned filters and threw pumps back in the cars, they've worked fine like forever since. Both the early design. The silicone diaphragm must seal as he says.

Yes, I may possibly get to do it again, but it's a car, things break all the time. I haven't spent one cent on pumps yet.

Some of this can come from where you get your fuel. I've changed my location trying to help it. One car had like white snot all over filters, the other had fine red rust mud. At least the rust mud came from fuel supply, there is nothing to rust in the tank.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
craps
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101044
What I Drive: 2000 sedan

FF Reputation: 1 craps Good Standing Member
having been to the junkyard ive found 3 differnt styles of pumps in this body style focus.

my original pump, i cleaned the screens and strainers and even replaced the actual pump in the canister with a new aftermarket one. car still sht out while cornering..

i found a new (used for $25) redesigned pump out of a 00' focus at the yard (they already pull them and tag them) but like the picture above there differnt so i had to bust the plastic "twist lock" braket out of the bottom of my tank. so far it works but im worried about the fuel level accuracy because right after i put it in i was showing almost 3/4 tank when it was at 1/2 according to the old pump.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
amc49
Focus Fanatic

If you wait too long and continue to drive a car with fuel cut out problems you very quickly toast the pump, it is liquid cooled and burns up fairly quick. Main reason why you should not run car out of gas. Just saw a news story about the rash of pump failures because of people who don't know this and continue to run pump with minimal fuel in tank trying to avoid buying more because of cost. They are ruining pumps left and right, not realizing how big the repair bill can be.

You need to catch it pretty quick, if you do, simply cleaning filters can have you back up and running fine for a long time.

Next one is installing new pump and then putting say 1 quart of fuel in to start car up. Burns up new pump then, I used to get plenty of new ones back that people did that on right off the bat. Pumps are cheaper than brains it seems.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
craps
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101044
What I Drive: 2000 sedan

FF Reputation: 1 craps Good Standing Member
if fuel pumps were that sensative i would go through them every week in every car ive owned.. me and half the people i know are always almost out of gas lol oddly enough it seems like only the american cars any of us have owned have even had a pump go out ever.. speaking of that why do american cars not give you an access hole and there pumps are always in some canister contraption..
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #16
amc49
Focus Fanatic

The new 'canister' is there because the pumps ARE that sensitive. It keeps fuel at the pump pickup when you are driving around with 1/2 gallon of fuel in your car. That fuel goes to one side of tank and then the other as you turn corners, everywhere except where it needs to be. The manufacturers were forced to protect you from yourself...........it also lowers lawsuits and warranty costs for them.

You should look at all owner's manuals now, they pretty much all STRONGLY suggest you should NOT run around with a very low fuel level or run the car out of gas.

Note how the addition of thirty dollars worth of plastic moldings and canister made the pump go up to as much as $400+ dollars. No justification for that except that they are now charging EVERYONE for the added cost of pumps failed by people who cannot read or do not care. A big majority of the warranty failed pumps were damaged by running them dry, also the major reason why you get no warranty unless you can prove you bought all the filters needed. Another portion came back and later found to be 100% functional, the result of most likely person doing the install not being able to figure out it won't prime with only a cup of fuel in it. You'd be amazed how many people do that and simply insist the pump is 'bad'. I always use a minimum of five gallons in tank when a pump goes in.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->