2012 Steeda Rear Sway Bar Loud Popping - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
awsimons
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100921
What I Drive: Sonic Blue 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 awsimons Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fixed! - 2012 Steeda Rear Sway Bar Loud Popping

So I installed the RSB Sunday afternoon. No problems driving around Monday or Tuesday morning, but driving home Tuesday night, I made a slow turn into a shopping center and heard a loud BANG or pop come from the rear end. Driving the rest of the way home I had a few more, softer, pops during turns. I'm pretty freaked out I messed up my car!

I did some internet research and realized I tightened everything down with the car in the air (unloaded), rather than on the ground, so is that probably the problem? I missed that part on the install sheet. I didn't see anything broken back there when I looked.

In my reading, people seem to think that noises from your suspension are normal when you upgrade components? Is that true? Should I expect some popping?

Help?
Alan

Mods: Debadged, 30% LLumar CTX Tint, MS3 RMM, Steeda RSB

Last edited by awsimons; 10-14-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
BigRed03
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
if the bushings are polyurethane, popping is common without lubrication. some urethane safe marine grease may provide longer greasing intervals.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
whimsicalpouch2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87978
What I Drive: 2002, black SVT focus

Points 4,736, Level 43
Points: 4,736, Level: 43 Points: 4,736, Level: 43 Points: 4,736, Level: 43
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 whimsicalpouch2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
yeah, you have to grease the crap out of them. more grease the better. if you had any left over after installing, you best have lubed that up big time. i would look at it when you can, make sure everything is correct and snug

#586 of #4788
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 7,606, Level 58
Points: 7,606, Level: 58 Points: 7,606, Level: 58 Points: 7,606, Level: 58
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
It also could be the endlinks, if you didnt tighten them enough, they could be making a popping noise from the bushings moving around. Then check that your bushings are still centered in the clamps that they didnt pop out or anything. Usually its the bushings not being greased enough like the others said..
Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
awsimons
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100921
What I Drive: Sonic Blue 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 awsimons Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Okay, here's the deal. For some reason, the bolts holding the two brackets for the RSB were not tight enough. I don't know if they worked themselves loose or they weren't tight enough in the first place because I put the RSB on when the car was off the ground. Anyway, as the car entered a turn, the torque on the RSB applies up/down force onto those brackets and they have been slipping up and down. The brackets have slots for the bolts rather than circular holes, so they can move up and down if the bolts aren't tight enough. I can see on the brackets where the metal slid on the bolts. Maybe I'll get a picture.

I tightened these down and spun around the block. No Popping! Maybe I need locktite on these bolts?

Alan
Mods: Debadged, 30% LLumar CTX Tint, MS3 RMM, Steeda RSB
Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
SteedaBrandon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96136
What I Drive: n/a

FF Reputation: 1 SteedaBrandon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsimons View Post
Okay, here's the deal. For some reason, the bolts holding the two brackets for the RSB were not tight enough. I don't know if they worked themselves loose or they weren't tight enough in the first place because I put the RSB on when the car was off the ground. Anyway, as the car entered a turn, the torque on the RSB applies up/down force onto those brackets and they have been slipping up and down. The brackets have slots for the bolts rather than circular holes, so they can move up and down if the bolts aren't tight enough. I can see on the brackets where the metal slid on the bolts. Maybe I'll get a picture.

I tightened these down and spun around the block. No Popping! Maybe I need locktite on these bolts?

Alan
Alan, glad to hear you got your issue resolved!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
ihdillon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88321
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 ihdillon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I finally stopped relying on the dealer and fixed the popping noise myself.
It must have been that the dealership did not listen to me about tightening the brackets to 42 ft lbs. I could tell they used an impact gun on the brackets because one of screw threads were ripped off and the hole was beat up. The bracket hole must not have lined up so they made it line up.. (sarcasm) Lazy! lazy! lazy!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.