Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 166 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #1651
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
How simple is that? Are you taking this in Crystal?
Of course none of the pre-production models they had at the Chelsea proving grounds with the abarth/ fiat 1.4L Turbo multi-air engine and the DCT had a notification that they were different. In fact they used the exact same automatic shifter with the manumatic/slap stick mode which I really didn't care for since it went side to side rather than having paddle shifters or even the paddle switch/ toggle switch on the Focus shifter which I find falls more easily to hand.

I haven't seen any of the final production spec Darts, but it would be wiser to advise people why the gearbox is both different and better, and how you can't expect it to behave like a torque converter equipped automatic transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #1652
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I owned a Dart once------ONLY ONCE!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #1653
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
It takes several thousand miles of consistent throttle application to program the DCT. Ford could probably eliminate 90% or more of the complaints with a 'Read Me First' Quick Start DCT guide clipped to steering wheel. We have a situation today where salespersons and mechanics experienced in horse and carriages are trying to work on the Starship Enterprise.

You can have the German and Japanese cars. My 2012 Focus Ti is the best dam car I have ever owned or driven by a country mile.
posters like yourself make comments like this in these threads from time to time. I love my Focus most of the time and I certainly knew when purchasing it, that the DCT would behave differently, that's one of the reasons I bought it actually. For the first year and 30k of ownership, the DCT behaved pretty well, but the last few months it has slipped and lost power on numerous occasions, not to mention terrible grinding noises.. None of these conditions were present for almost 30k km, but I guess it's only software, or something I'm doing wrong?
I'm genuinely glad that your car is working great and that you're happy...besides the clutch problem (which my dealer is fixing under TSB 11-12-13), I too very much like this car. But to suggest over 90% of our complaints could be eliminated by better education on how a DCT works is not helpful and quite ignorant given the amount of real (proven) physical problems with this transmission.
Come back after a year when you have put some km's on your car and had several DCT software updates forced on you because Ford says it will make your car perform "better" and see if you are still singing those accolades and claim these problems are all in our "head".
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #1654
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
posters like yourself make comments like this in these threads from time to time. I love my Focus most of the time and I certainly knew when purchasing it, that the DCT would behave differently, that's one of the reasons I bought it actually. For the first year and 30k of ownership, the DCT behaved pretty well, but the last few months it has slipped and lost power on numerous occasions, not to mention terrible grinding noises.. None of these conditions were present for almost 30k km, but I guess it's only software, or something I'm doing wrong?
I'm genuinely glad that your car is working great and that you're happy...besides the clutch problem (which my dealer is fixing under TSB 11-12-13), I too very much like this car. But to suggest over 90% of our complaints could be eliminated by better education on how a DCT works is not helpful and quite ignorant given the amount of real (proven) physical problems with this transmission.
Come back after a year when you have put some km's on your car and had several DCT software updates forced on you because Ford says it will make your car perform "better" and see if you are still singing those accolades and claim these problems are all in our "head".
Where did I ever claim problems were in anyone's heads? Answer: Nowhere. Obviously you have me confused with someone else. You might try reading Crossing the Chasm by Geoffrey A. Moore. Then you might have a clue about what you are talking about.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #1655
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Well, the Focus powertrain is warranted for 5 years or 50,000 miles neither of which I will ever reach before I trade it in, so there's not much to worry about.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #1656
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Where did I ever claim problems were in anyone's heads? Answer: Nowhere. Obviously you have me confused with someone else. You might try reading Crossing the Chasm by Geoffrey A. Moore. Then you might have a clue about what you are talking about.
Right here :
Quote:
Ford could probably eliminate 90% or more of the complaints with a 'Read Me First' Quick Start DCT guide clipped to steering wheel.
Sorry I paraphrased in my response, but, I don't think anyone reading that quote would interpret it any differently.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #1657
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
Right here : ,
Sorry I paraphrased in my response, but, I don't think anyone reading that quote would interpret it any differently.
Sorry, I didn't realize that reading/comprehension skills were that low in Canada. My mistake. If you had read all of my posts you would have taken my comment in the context of the issue being a Ford communication problem. Moore deals with these issues brilliantly in Crossing the Chasm.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #1658
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't realize that reading/comprehension skills were that low in Canada. My mistake. If you had read all of my posts you would have taken my comment in the context of the issue being a Ford communication problem. Moore deals with these issues brilliantly in Crossing the Chasm.
whatever, I did read your posts (you obviously haven't read mine), and yes, I know what you were trying to convey, but, it is of no consequence, since, the bottom line is the same. (you suggest) Our problems are merely "perceived" due to a communication problem on Ford's part. That is, there is really nothing wrong with our DCT's, its just that Ford hasn't told us how they're supposed to work. So, we are ignorant consumer's imagining problems with our cars.... my transmission was already opened up, and low and behold, my clutches were ruined due to an internal oil leak, they also suspect other problems as well (the grinding noises we heard), but, we won't know that until they replace the parts and disassemble the gearbox for inspection.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #1659
LandIT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101371
What I Drive: 2011 Red Titanium Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 LandIT Good Standing Member
DCT is different

I do believe drivers will feel some difference in DCT in the Focus to a) earlier models b) other non-DCT auto cars. I also believe that the so-called running-in 1000 mi is unexpected and even unusual.

Its also clear that all problems do not go away after the 1000 mi. My Titanium has now done 2,500 mi of fairly easy driving and is in fact settling down. The dealer probably reset and did the calibration exercises (saved me trying to do 10 X easy in the acceleration then stop, plus other things) at 3mo peace of mind check and then it went better and since then with more miles it has got even better. Not perfect though...

I still notice
a) shuddering at very low speed (approaching very gentle stop or very gentle take off or hesitation due to car in front)
b) early change to 2nd, and sometimes 3rd resulting in graunch sound, low revs and low power acceleration

These things differ according to whether car is warmed up or cold, or just come off the motorway and into suburban streets.

I do believe this behaviour is not normal, not acceptable. I think (hope) however Ford are getting as much driver feedback as possible to reproduce these issues and make improvements to the software, because I hope that is all it is.

I would just plead - do not change to 2nd quite so quickly under light acceleration - just hold the revs a little longer. I know the mpg promise is there to live up to. Could we just have it more revvy and sporty in sports mode then?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #1660
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

I was at my local Ford dealer yesterday for an oil change and asked the service manager if they were experiencing many problems with the New Focus DCT's. He said except for a few that were reprogrammed they only came in for routine maintenance. He said that most Focus owners were satisfied once the nuances of the DCT was explained to them. He admitted that it was bad policy not to explain the DCT at the time of purchase , but, now they do. I asked how they were selling and after checking inventory they only had one 2012 left. The 2013's were selling quite fast.

Bookmarks & Social Networks