AC pulling outside air - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
MaNiAk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104629
What I Drive: 2003 Grey Ford Focus ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 MaNiAk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
AC pulling outside air

2003 Focus ZTW

Basically I'm having the same kind of issue this guy is having.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202855

Except that my air does blow cold but its not engaging the air recycle properly. Easily noticeable if I'm driving by a swampy area or water treatment facility. With the recycle air button on it still acts like its off, for example I'll have had it on then turn off the blower and because I'm still driving the outside air is pushing the remaining cold air through the vents.

The vent selector works, switches the not working recycle off when it goes to defrost, heater door makes a thunk when switching fast from hot to cold, not to sure about cold to hot.

Its really starting to bother me since they're doing loads of construction and the tar and exhaust smells are making me sick. I've brought the car back to get it serviced for this but they just said it was working fine, drove it home and noticed too late that they didn't fix it. I want to exactly what is wrong so I can tell them to fix it, because I'm still under the 30 day warranty.

Also every time I start the car the recycle button is off, I'm pretty sure that't not a 'feature'.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
MaNiAk
Focus Rookie

Here's a video of me playing with the knobs earlier today, posting this with my phone doesn't seem to let me edit my post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b84L...e_gdata_player
Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Probably the recirculating door actuator, but you should check to be sure that the evaporator drain is not clogged.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
MaNiAk
Focus Rookie

I'll tell them to check for those things again, even though they had told me that everything was working fine.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
When you switch to recycle you should be able to very easily tell the blower motor getting louder as the recycle door opens.

If not, pull glovebox out to let it flop on floor. Look in behind box, the recycle shaft is in there, the actual small motor that works it is to the left, look for wires going to it. Look in the little vents with a flashlight, you should be able to see the recycle door move one way or the other on/off, if not actuator motor is shot or the door where shaft goes into it is stripped. Mine stripped the door shaft hole, I am not going to yank the entire airbox to fix it. I simply made up a 6 inch long hook from coat hanger to go up in the slot and move the door forward or rearward as needed. One way is recycle, gets louder. The other way you need to get heater heat, you don't get it when recycle door is open. I can switch door by hand one way or the other in like 5 seconds.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
MaNiAk
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
When you switch to recycle you should be able to very easily tell the blower motor getting louder as the recycle door opens.

If not, pull glovebox out to let it flop on floor. Look in behind box, the recycle shaft is in there, the actual small motor that works it is to the left, look for wires going to it. Look in the little vents with a flashlight, you should be able to see the recycle door move one way or the other on/off, if not actuator motor is shot or the door where shaft goes into it is stripped. Mine stripped the door shaft hole, I am not going to yank the entire airbox to fix it. I simply made up a 6 inch long hook from coat hanger to go up in the slot and move the door forward or rearward as needed. One way is recycle, gets louder. The other way you need to get heater heat, you don't get it when recycle door is open. I can switch door by hand one way or the other in like 5 seconds.
http://youtu.be/FR0U6OURGO8

Just got home, I'll see tomorrow while I'm working if it lets horrible air in. I'll still make carmax fix this seeing as they literally wrote that these doors were working properly.

But seriously does that button really turn off when you turn the car off?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNiAk View Post

But seriously does that button really turn off when you turn the car off?
You know... I don't know. I've been driving this car for 7 years and I can't recall if the recirc stays on overnight or not.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Yes, button turns off. Normal. As in normal stupid, I never liked it either. Both mine do it.

Kinda like Tempo, Contour, Focus, each car was the later replacement for the previous. I've got all 3. WHY on earth did they make the exterior doorlock unlock forward on one, then backward on the next, then forward again???? I have NEVER been able to memorize which way unlocks the doors. Irritating..........
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Just looked at the video. Exactly.

You pull the actuator motor and then with it plugged in hit button to see if the motor is rotating as it should, if not the motor needs changing. If motor working then door itself is stripped out at the axle portion.

Motor is the upper yellow and white wires on left.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
MaNiAk
Focus Rookie

Trip report, shoved some paper into the vent door to keep it open and keep the outside air from coming in. Air is super cold now. Still going to have them fix this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks