Poor Performance After CAI - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
craigsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97985
Location: Fort Eustis, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

Posts: 450
FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a K&N Intake and I feel loss in power because of heat soak especially when its over 100 degrees and mine is shielded. My dyno sheet is proof of the heat soak. A few times its been in the mid 70's outside (it was 3am) and I felt a significant difference in power.

There are no tunes available for our Foci just yet.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Race Red. 203A Spec. Window Tint. K&N Typhoon CAI. FSWerks Race Exhaust. Weathertech Digital Fit Floormats. HIDs with Projectors. Build Date: 2/14/2012

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
craigsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend
 
TboneZX3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90494
Location: Jackson, MO
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Posts: 2,179
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
I have a K&N Intake and I feel loss in power because of heat soak especially when its over 100 degrees and mine is shielded. My dyno sheet is proof of the heat soak. A few times its been in the mid 70's outside (it was 3am) and I felt a significant difference in power.

There are no tunes available for our Foci just yet.
Are you experiencing heat soak with your K&N only after sitting still for a while? The reason I ask is that the intake temp reported by the Torque app show within 6-8 degrees above ambient as long as I'm moving, even at low speeds. It does get higher than that fairly quickly at a full stop, but lowers again fairly quickly after I get moving. I'm sure the effect is greater than that of the stock intake by a fairly big margin (especially at 100 degree temps), but unfortunately I never used the Torque app while I had the stock intake.
__________________
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
TboneZX3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
craigsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97985
Location: Fort Eustis, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

Posts: 450
FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Are you experiencing heat soak with your K&N only after sitting still for a while? The reason I ask is that the intake temp reported by the Torque app show within 6-8 degrees above ambient as long as I'm moving, even at low speeds. It does get higher than that fairly quickly at a full stop, but lowers again fairly quickly after I get moving. I'm sure the effect is greater than that of the stock intake by a fairly big margin (especially at 100 degree temps), but unfortunately I never used the Torque app while I had the stock intake.
When I am going along steady its fine. But in traffic you can feel the loss in power. When its above 100 degrees, it takes a while until it feels normal again, especially after sitting in traffic for a while.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Race Red. 203A Spec. Window Tint. K&N Typhoon CAI. FSWerks Race Exhaust. Weathertech Digital Fit Floormats. HIDs with Projectors. Build Date: 2/14/2012

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
craigsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend
 
TboneZX3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90494
Location: Jackson, MO
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Posts: 2,179
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
When I am going along steady its fine. But in traffic you can feel the loss in power. When its above 100 degrees, it takes a while until it feels normal again, especially after sitting in traffic for a while.
I don't do much city stop-and go since I live in a fairly rural area, so I probably don't feel the effect as much as others. I'll try to do some data-logging in some stop-and-go traffic so we can see what the results are. I don't see the temps dropping much anytime soon around here, so that shouldn't be a problem.
__________________
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
TboneZX3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
craigsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97985
Location: Fort Eustis, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

Posts: 450
FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I don't do much city stop-and go since I live in a fairly rural area, so I probably don't feel the effect as much as others. I'll try to do some data-logging in some stop-and-go traffic so we can see what the results are. I don't see the temps dropping much anytime soon around here, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Okay cool. Most of my daily 130 mile round trip is highway but on my way home I run into traffic at Fort Hood then again going through Cedar Park/Austin.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Race Red. 203A Spec. Window Tint. K&N Typhoon CAI. FSWerks Race Exhaust. Weathertech Digital Fit Floormats. HIDs with Projectors. Build Date: 2/14/2012

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
craigsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #16
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
 
Sonic_HedgeHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Posts: 13,489
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Every once in a great while do I feel a power loss. It usually only happens on a hot day, with the A/C on. I don't get stuck in traffic much.

I hate to say this, but is it possible that the Steeda and K&N's are having fewer issues since they come from bigger companies with larger R&D budgets?
__________________
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Sonic_HedgeHog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
MTRCTY50
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Fan#: 45599
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray TI 5 Door 5spd

Posts: 12
FF Reputation: 1 MTRCTY50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have the Steeda CAI, and I too have experienced this. I would love a tune! Something I have found, is that I am used to my 05. I find myself getting lazy foot, when ever i find that the car is sluggish my foot is lower on the gas pedal. I wouldn't think on a drive by wire car this would make that much of a difference. When I move by foot higher up on the gas pedal it accelerates alot better. I had the car Dynoed, and it is consistently putting out 161hp, which is as advertised for this CAI.
MTRCTY50 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend
 
TboneZX3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90494
Location: Jackson, MO
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Posts: 2,179
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRCTY50 View Post
I wouldn't think on a drive by wire car this would make that much of a difference.
The leverage on the accelerator arm will change depending on where your foot is, regardless of whether is is throttle-by-wire or cable operated. The sensor relies on accelerator travel, just as the cable does.
__________________
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
TboneZX3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic
 
FLYLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Fan#: 34077
Location: Houston, TX
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

Posts: 1,794
FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
reset ecu then try again
FLYLOW is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.