Ask a Ford salesman anything (Incentives, Inventory, etc) - Page 169 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson)

Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.
Sponsored By: Phil Long Ford - Colorado's #1 Ford Dealer

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #1681
imccrea
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 85212
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus hatch SGM

FF Reputation: 6 imccrea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlateTheGreat View Post
Hello,

So I'm bringing my 08 auto sedan in again for transmission repairs. The dealership has repaired it once about a month ago and its having issues again. This is the 3rd total time they've repaired it, twice for the transmission within a month. How hard is it to get a dealership to buy the car back because of faulty parts or inability to repair?

EDIT: Trying to get into a 2012 5 speed
They will give you a couple grand less I'd assume for your trade because of transmission issues.
Ira McCrea
Phone: 970-667-2220
E-mail: iram@loveford.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #1682
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
I know this is probably more of a regional thing (I'm in Canada's big truck capital). But why do the sales guys try to push a young guy towards big expensive trucks. I bought my Focus on Friday, I started test driving and going to deals a few weeks before. Most of the dealerships including two local ford dealers tried to convince me that I wanted a fully loaded and jacked up F150 or something similar which ran a bill around $50k. I know what I wanted and I told them up front I was there to look at a specific car. Is it just because of commission?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #1683
SlateTheGreat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 63859
What I Drive: 2008 Silver SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 SlateTheGreat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by imccrea View Post
They will give you a couple grand less I'd assume for your trade because of transmission issues.
what about after it's fixed? and what do I do to get more for the trade/less on the MSRP? Can my mom get a discount for working for a Sheriff department? Are there student discounts? Am I better waiting for the holidays?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #1684
Nik00117
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58749
What I Drive: 2011 Fusion SEL, 2010 Road Glide

FF Reputation: 0 Nik00117 Newbie
Quote:
I know this is probably more of a regional thing (I'm in Canada's big truck capital). But why do the sales guys try to push a young guy towards big expensive trucks. I bought my Focus on Friday, I started test driving and going to deals a few weeks before. Most of the dealerships including two local ford dealers tried to convince me that I wanted a fully loaded and jacked up F150 or something similar which ran a bill around $50k. I know what I wanted and I told them up front I was there to look at a specific car. Is it just because of commission?
Because they suck at their job. I never push a guy into a vehicle they don't want. I may throw up some suggestions though. Very few people know what they want.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #1685
disturbed932
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104661
What I Drive: 2011 Yellow Blaze Metallic Fiesta

FF Reputation: 1 disturbed932 Good Standing Member
St Pricing

New member here. Been scouting the forums and pricing for an ST. I think I have a lot of the information, but want some clarification. Let's begin.

I'm looking for an ST w/ 202A (ST3), Moonroof, & Tangerine Scream Paint
MSRP - $29,525
X-PLAN Price - $28,741? According to Build and Price

I have conflicting differences on how I should calculate a "fair dealer profit" based on this PDF Price List (This is accurate right?)
http://fordstnation.com/2013my-focus.../c-attachment/

X-Plan Calculation

I know that most dealers won't give in to holdback very often.

On FordSTNATION, the VOC's I see showing up have the DEALER INVOICE listed at 22,100, which is labelled as "DEALER INVOICE W/ HOLDBACK" on the PDF Price List. Now, the left column, which is "DEALER PRICE" starts at 20,856. Running down the column, and dividing the numbers from "SUGGESTED RETAIL (MSRP)", the holdback seems to be 12%(!)This can't be right can it?

Isn't holdback for Ford 3% of the total MSRP including options?
So, for an ST3 + Moonroof + Tangerine Scream at $29,525, the 3% would be $885.75.

HOWEVER, the difference between DEALER INVOICE w/ HOLDBACK & DEALER PRICE is around $1100 for the base! (22,100 - 20,856). This is where it doesn't make sense. What else is "under the table" in fees for the dealer here? Am I to include the things I've been seeing on the invoices such as ADV ASSESSMENT and FUEL CHARGE into this difference? Or are these not truly "dealer fees"? I tend to believe not for both. Isn't DESTINATION, ADV ASSESSMENT, & FUEL CHARGE manufacturer fees from Ford or are they legitimate dealer costs?

I'm just trying to find a solid starting price to start negotiations UP from, factoring in giving the dealer a FAIR 3-5% profit on the sale (they'll get much more from the LIEnance office and service departments.)

I've read as much as I can about the X-Plan pricing and know that it is a non-negotiable price as well as the capped $100 doc fee, which SHOULD be the only additional fee BESIDES the $275 ADMINISTRATION FEE for X-Plan before TTT. Right now, according to the X-Plan Build & Price website, it is $28,741, which is higher than what I calculate as.

X-PLAN = Dealer Invoice - (0.4% * Dealer Invoice) + $275 Administration Fee

Dealer Invoice = Invoice + Options - Options Discount + Fuel + ADV ASSESSMENT + Destination

$22,100 + $4,840 - $405 + ~$47.16 + ~$400 + $795

IMHO, the Fuel Charge better have 93 octane int he car if I would take delivery.
Advertising Assessment varies by region, but a ballpark is around $350-$450 according to STNation members

When it comes down to it, I'm looking for 1) a solid number to start negotiations with that is BELOW X-PLAN that INCLUDES a FAIR DEALER PROFIT less Destination, 2) clarification on Holdback pricing for the ST according to the PDF link and 3) clarification on whether the fees listed on official invoices such as ADV ASSESSMENT and FUEL CHARGE are legitimate fees and should factored into calculating TRUE DEALER COST

I want to be confident in my numbers and want no run-around with dealers trying to include dealer markup, VIN etching, alarm installation, "dealer prep", "limited production".

Sorry for the long post, but I've done alot of research and just need some clarification. Yeah, I said clarification a lot lol.

P.S. Ira, my zip is 18848 for incentives, inventory, etc.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #1686
imccrea
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlateTheGreat View Post
what about after it's fixed? and what do I do to get more for the trade/less on the MSRP? Can my mom get a discount for working for a Sheriff department? Are there student discounts? Am I better waiting for the holidays?
if it's fixed no biggie.

I doubt the sheriff dept receives pricing discounts but you can check. 13's have same incentives as 12's so really no big push til year end I think.
Ira McCrea
Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #1687
imccrea
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed932 View Post

I'm looking for an ST w/ 202A (ST3), Moonroof, & Tangerine Scream Paint
MSRP - $29,525
X-PLAN Price - $28,741? According to Build and Price

I know that most dealers won't give in to holdback very often.

I'm just trying to find a solid starting price to start negotiations UP from, factoring in giving the dealer a FAIR 3-5% profit on the sale (they'll get much more from the LIEnance office and service departments.)

I've read as much as I can about the X-Plan pricing and know that it is a non-negotiable price as well as the capped $100 doc fee, which SHOULD be the only additional fee BESIDES the $275 ADMINISTRATION FEE for X-Plan before TTT. Right now, according to the X-Plan Build & Price website, it is $28,741, which is higher than what I calculate as.

When it comes down to it, I'm looking for 1) a solid number to start negotiations with that is BELOW X-PLAN that INCLUDES a FAIR DEALER PROFIT less Destination, 2) clarification on Holdback pricing for the ST according to the PDF link and 3) clarification on whether the fees listed on official invoices such as ADV ASSESSMENT and FUEL CHARGE are legitimate fees and should factored into calculating TRUE DEALER COST

I want to be confident in my numbers and want no run-around with dealers trying to include dealer markup, VIN etching, alarm installation, "dealer prep", "limited production".

P.S. Ira, my zip is 18848 for incentives, inventory, etc.
I cut out some of the meat on your post to make it easier to read. Don't be offended by this but many dealers around me are refusing X plan on ST's so I wouldn't see you being able to negotiate a number below that at all. Regular Focus all day but not an ST, at least not yet.

Your link is from our order guides, you are correct on X plan caps on Dealer fees, etc. I wish I could say your link is 100% true but it's not. From FMCdealer.com on the ST order guide there is no such thing as "Dealer Price".

Dealer invoice with holdback is the only option besides suggested retail. I'd be curious to see who made this document and why though. Our true cost on a vehicle is invoice less holdback. Dealers receive money from Technology Delivery allowances, F series incentives, etc but typically that money is put into the dealership, never into a given vehicle.

With regard to fees listed on invoices, that is from Ford not from the dealership so you will be paying those. That actually cuts out of our profit as it gets charged to the invoice cost but not the MSRP cost so it cuts my profit by $1,000+ on each car.

Funny you also mention fair profit of 3-5%, I wish more customers thought that way. 3-5% would almost put a ST2 Focus at MSRP for what I get paid off. Our margins really aren't that big anymore.
Ira McCrea
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #1688
SlateTheGreat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 63859
What I Drive: 2008 Silver SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 SlateTheGreat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by imccrea View Post
if it's fixed no biggie.

I doubt the sheriff dept receives pricing discounts but you can check. 13's have same incentives as 12's so really no big push til year end I think.

Yea I was there today and they couldn't find a problem with mind so I decided to wait until early next year
Old 10-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #1689
Raven0215
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103842
What I Drive: None Currently

FF Reputation: 1 Raven0215 Good Standing Member
I have a question about current rebates for 2013 titaniums. I see a 2k rebate and a 395 dollar rebate. Can these be used in conjunction with the competitive conquest bonus cash program 34244 for 500? I think i am also showing a regional rebate for 250 program 51052.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #1690
biking4life
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102734
What I Drive: 2012 Honda Civic EX 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 biking4life Good Standing Member
Hi Ira, my local dealer has failed to impress me and I'm hoping you can help. I'm currently abroad until early December and everybody has refused to deal with me through email- obviously it's impractical to talk by phone because that would be extremely expensive.

1) I'm looking to buy/lease in December. What is the trend in selling for December because the year is ending?
2) I'm specifically looking for an SE Hatchback 5 Speed Manual with the 201A and Winter Package for sure. I could deal with a Black Pack depending on the color, as well as a moonroof but neither is a must have. Colors I'm interested in are Performance Blue, Tuxedo Black, and Oxford White, with blue my first choice and the other two tied for second. Could you locate ones in White and Blue? I've found a Tux at Washington Ford nearby.
3) My zip is 15238, Pittsburgh PA. I'm a college student graduating this May. What would be the price you could offer on a similar car today given student discounts, a fair price between invoice and MSRP, and the current incentives on 2013 Focuses?

Thanks, I really appreciate your help to this forum!

Last edited by biking4life; 10-21-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added Hatchback to the post!

Bookmarks & Social Networks