Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 165 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #1641
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This is interesting, I think, I'm watching a case on Tru TV which involves a $200,000 Bentley which has a dual clutch trans. They are discussing the engine control module and how it interprets the depressing of the accelerator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #1642
raywal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102946
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 0 raywal Newbie
Has anybody figured out how many people are actually having problems with the transmission on this forum. I know that there are probably thousands of complaints but how many different people are there?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #1643
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raywal View Post
Has anybody figured out how many people are actually having problems with the transmission on this forum. I know that there are probably thousands of complaints but how many different people are there?
Nope... I'd hate to open ANOTHER transmission thread (with a poll). But if someone does, it should probably include:

No issues ever
No issues after TSB
Shuddering on take-off
Jerky shifting
Grinding/rattling/clutch slippage
Combination of x and y

Other?

I don't know if you'd want to get into rollbacks on includes? There's just so many variables...

That said, the poll will probably be biased anyway because those without transmission issues probably won't even open the thread.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #1644
Berlin Bill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99041
What I Drive: 2014 Blue Candy SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Berlin Bill Good Standing Member
This past weekend I found that an acquaintance had a 2012 5 door SE. Asked if
he liked the car and he said no. I asked if there were transmission probs and he
said yes - took it in for a "re-boot" and his mileage went from around 40 down to
32 mpg. He was "very disappointed" I am sad to report.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #1645
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
It would seem to me illogical that corporation with many years manufacturing cars would not call into question extensive warranty repairs on a new, low milage car. I can not believe they would tolerate the indiscriminate replacing of components designed to last at least 100,000 miles without an investigation as to why.
Greed?

GM's lengthy record (low quality parts, etc) ended up haunting them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsFocus View Post
As with a lot of things today, things are getting too complicated. In my case, I had two service managers tell me my car had a transmission problem. But, because the problem was not visible (broken part,etc) and there was no error code, they could not do any work on my trans without the ok of engineers. In many cases the dealer's hands are tied. When there is a problem and there is no error code, we hear the excuses, not only from the dealers, but also the engineers. I talked to an engineer who would not ok work to be done and I asked him why he didn't believe what my dealer was telling me. The excuses started...roll up your windows and turn the radio up, it's normal, there's no code so it can't be broke, and on and on.
That's also true. Automobiles in general are far more complex, even for basic engine functions (before all the goodness of SYNC, etc, come into play.)

And it's sad. No error code doesn't mean there's no problem, or a problem starting to form. Only those who blindly read off of cue cards say that. GOOD engineers and their ilk know how systems are supposed to work and what can lead to problems over time. Then again, are good mechanics more costly to a company than those who blindly read off of cue cards? Nobody seemed to mind when Call Center support was offshored...
Old 10-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #1646
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
God! The thought processes at work here simply overwhelm me!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #1647
cavedog309
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100919
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 cavedog309 Good Standing Member
My 1st post

I have 6500 miles on my Focus and "Yes" it will smooth out. Mine did the same shudder and buck stuff for a bit, about 2000 miles it really smoothed out. This Little Car is just a HOOT to drive !
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #1648
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedog309 View Post
I have 6500 miles on my Focus and "Yes" it will smooth out. Mine did the same shudder and buck stuff for a bit, about 2000 miles it really smoothed out. This Little Car is just a HOOT to drive !
It takes several thousand miles of consistent throttle application to program the DCT. Ford could probably eliminate 90% or more of the complaints with a 'Read Me First' Quick Start DCT guide clipped to steering wheel. We have a situation today where salespersons and mechanics experienced in horse and carriages are trying to work on the Starship Enterprise.

You can have the German and Japanese cars. My 2012 Focus Ti is the best dam car I have ever owned or driven by a country mile.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #1649
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
The Dodge Dart does have a tag on their DCT equipped cars on the shifter saying just what you stated(they go smart) MJB
Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #1650
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
The Dodge Dart does have a tag on their DCT equipped cars on the shifter saying just what you stated(they go smart) MJB
How simple is that? Are you taking this in Crystal?

Bookmarks & Social Networks