High Temperature Warning - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #21
HammerStriker
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86553
What I Drive: 2012 Ignot Silver Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 HammerStriker Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Sounds like the reason states adopted "Lemon Laws". This seems like a serious enough issue to qualify. Check your state's laws and start documenting.
I'm interested in fixing the problem, not getting rid of my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
Hodge Podge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96120
What I Drive: 2012 5-Dr Se Sport Pkg Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Hodge Podge Good Standing Member
Somewhat amazing to see the temp gauge spike that fast under light acceleration.

Last time I saw something comparable was in a truck that had thrown the belt on the water pump (ZERO water circulation and no cooling fan). Think this can be partially ruled out in your case though.

Assuming the water pump is doing what it should and the dealer has changed the temp sensor(s) and the thermostat, any idea if they've checked the cooling fans for proper function?
I've noticed mine seems to have a variable speed depending on engine load, A/C on/off, outside temp, etc...

For example, when it's 110 outside with the A/C on and I pull into the garage, it sounds like a tornado. From there, I shut the A/C off and let the engine idle for say 2-3 minutes to cool off, and (based on sound) the fan seems to go through at least 2-3 gradually lower setting. Eventually it's either a quiet hum or undetectable (possibly off?).

So my question/suggestion is, when the overheat light comes on, does your fan sound like a tornado in a trailer park? It should still be at max if the gauge is anywhere above normal, and if not, that may be your culprit.

2012 Se Ingot Silver 5-Door w/ 201A & Se Sport Package
2001 Silverado 1500 RCLB 4x4 4.8L 5-Speed
Old 10-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
**UPDATE**

My car has been in the shop for over a week now, and they have no idea what is wrong with it.

They say that it is definitely overheating (which I'm still not sure I believe) and that they can replicate the problem. They have replaced the thermostat and temp sensor even though they both tested good. They have pressure tested everything and have found no problems there.

They tell me that they have a call into the Ford hotline to see if help can be found. I think I will probably get better help here.

So, again, any ideas?

BTW... I F'IN HATE the Ford Fiesta I've been driving as a loaner. I can't believe people buy these things after test driving them.
If they replaced the sensors, then anything that remains should be checked out. Regardless of probability. Including the engine.

I'm glad I didn't buy a Fiesta - they look cute, but I reckon they're bought by single people or those who don't need the space... And, of course, every loaner I've been in has been hideous to drive compared to mine, though I've never had a Fiesta as a loaner... Maybe you've had better luck with loaners and can decidedly say the Fiesta isn't as good of a ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
A bad head gasket can blow combustion pressure into the cooling system and cause intermittent overheating. This seems unlikely on a new engine and would be a worst case scenario.

Also, I not familiar enough with this engine design to know exactly what the symptoms would be on a failing head gasket. I have had the symptoms you described with a bad head gasket on V-6 engines.
Even under ideal circumstances, anything can technically happen at any time.

Quote:
So, its been a few months since I first starting having this problem, and I'm still having it.

Ford will not admit I'm having a problem even though they can see the over temp warnings in my engine log. They have had it for well over a week, and say they cannot recreate the problem.

I have now recreated it multiple times, and here are the steps needed to recreate.
- drive about five miles normally
- idol with A/C on for at least 30 minutes
- drive normally again, and it happens... every time.

Somehow, Ford cannot do this, so I made a video posted here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIig...e_gdata_player

Whats my next move? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan
Wow. If the logs are there, there is a problem. It seems unusual for (the Ford dealer) to see the log and deny a problem exists.

If not the sensor, how about the computer controlling the sensors - a failing circuit or controller could cause problems as well. I've seen stranger things happen...

At least the dealer mechanics did not erase the log. So keep everything documented on paper, just in case we don't live in an ethical society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Sounds like the reason states adopted "Lemon Laws". This seems like a serious enough issue to qualify. Check your state's laws and start documenting.
Quote:
I'm interested in fixing the problem, not getting rid of my car.
I hear ya. I love my Focus (even with the blender-noise in the DCT).

If there is a recurring issue, one could still use the Lemon Law to get an exchange for another unit of the same model instead of a refund. Our put the refund (cost of the purchase) toward another Focus. The Focus is too nice a car (IMHO) and the occasional lemon comes off the assembly lines, regardless of how good the assembly line is. Stuff happens... Sometimes it's cheaper for them to do the lemon law routine instead of replacing every conceivably bad component...
Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
joninsd84
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87893
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 2 joninsd84 Good Standing Member
I had high temp warning too. It turned out it was faulty fan. The fan would switch on only when my coolant temp needle hit red line, however turn off as soon as it falls below the red line. It only occurred after driving few miles and then prolong idling for a few minutes. ( IE freeway then stopping for traffic... that's how I found out I had a problem)
Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #25
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
The temperature gauge is hardly a gauge at all. It's programmed to show actual below ~160F? (not sure the exact number but it's not the actual normal temp) and then it just sits in the middle all the time after that. It won't go above until the actual temp crosses a threshold value.

My 99 explorer had an oil pressure "gauge" that was operated off a simple switch. It was either 0 or 50%.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #26
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
The temperature gauge is hardly a gauge at all. It's programmed to show actual below ~160F? (not sure the exact number but it's not the actual normal temp) and then it just sits in the middle all the time after that. It won't go above until the actual temp crosses a threshold value.

My 99 explorer had an oil pressure "gauge" that was operated off a simple switch. It was either 0 or 50%.
The gauge never shows the actual temperature. It sticks at cold for a while then jumps to somewhere below the middle, then sticks to the middle unless its over heating. By that point it might be too late. However at that point it might be too late.

The car knows what the actual temperature of the coolant is, but the gauge is just for show. If you were to play with the test mode you can watch the actual temperature reading from the coolant temperature sensor.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #27
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
this car is not overheating IMO. If it was I doubt it would still be running. This seems to be an electrical issue. I have never seen an engine in the red come down once its there. When the temp gauge goes to the red, does it run any differently? is there a bubbling sound coming from the coolant reservoir? Is any coolant coming out the overflow tube? Any abnormal steam, sounds, smells or car actions(other than gauge)? If they wont fix it i say pound it long n hard and when they have to replace the engine you can say..."I told you there was a problem".
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #28
SulavT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93904
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 1 SulavT Good Standing Member
I had a same exact problem, getting the Engine Temp High, Stop Safely signal, I went to the dealership and problem was somebody left the degas valve lose while changing the oil. So that could be your problem or faulty sensor.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #29
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulavT View Post
degas valve
WTH is this?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #30
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenney View Post
WTH is this?
Probably means the cap was loose on the over flow or de-gas bottle and therefore allowing pressure and coolant to leak out, but its not exactly a clear statement of such.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->