common problems with the Duratec? - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #61
boardgeneration
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97319
What I Drive: Redline 13 Dodge Dart Rallye

FF Reputation: 1 boardgeneration Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
That was another suspect. It does seem to have a bit more vibration than it did before.
I took a quick look at it but cant tell if it's bad. It's not broke as far as I can see just looking at it.

edit: I looked a bit closer, theres bits of bushing laying on the bottom part of the mount. Looks like I will be changing that first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #62
WSkobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93397
What I Drive: 2007 Focus SE 4dr Dark Shadow Gray

Points 675, Level 13
Points: 675, Level: 13 Points: 675, Level: 13 Points: 675, Level: 13
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 WSkobra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you replace the passenger side mount just be careful when installing it. Don't poke the top with anything cause there is oil inside the passenger mount. I found out the hard way. The mount I keep having to replace is my upper trans mount. I have replaced it 6 times in the last 8 months. Of coursd I have the lower polyurethane bushing kit for my dog bone mount so that might have something to do with it.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #63
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 10,527, Level 68
Points: 10,527, Level: 68 Points: 10,527, Level: 68 Points: 10,527, Level: 68
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 59 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSkobra View Post
If you replace the passenger side mount just be careful when installing it. Don't poke the top with anything cause there is oil inside the passenger mount. I found out the hard way. The mount I keep having to replace is my upper trans mount. I have replaced it 6 times in the last 8 months. Of coursd I have the lower polyurethane bushing kit for my dog bone mount so that might have something to do with it.
6 times in last 8 months? What kind are you buying? oem's or e-bay specials? If anything that poly dogbone is helping it last longer. I'd replace it w/ a poly mount.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #64
WSkobra
Focus Enthusiast

Points 675, Level 13
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
6 times in last 8 months? What kind are you buying? oem's or e-bay specials? If anything that poly dogbone is helping it last longer. I'd replace it w/ a poly mount.
Oem is what i am replacing it with. Only reason why is because its under warranty. When I have the money I am going to be buying the polyurethane upper trans mount.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #65
boardgeneration
Focus Enthusiast

Is the passenger side mount the only one with fluid in it? Also my dog bone looks like the small bushing only has rubber on two sides. I would have thought it would be rubber all the way around the metal insert that the bolt runs through.
I'll be replacing those two bushings with massive poly ones and press em into my stock dog bone. As for the driver side, how are the poly ones. I don't want unnecessary vibration but I don't want to be replacing these again.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #66
WSkobra
Focus Enthusiast

Points 675, Level 13
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardgeneration View Post
Is the passenger side mount the only one with fluid in it? Also my dog bone looks like the small bushing only has rubber on two sides. I would have thought it would be rubber all the way around the metal insert that the bolt runs through.
I'll be replacing those two bushings with massive poly ones and press em into my stock dog bone. As for the driver side, how are the poly ones. I don't want unnecessary vibration but I don't want to be replacing these again.
Yes the passenger side is the only one with oil in it. As far as the dog bone polyurethane inserts, you don't have to have them pressed in. I managed to press them in by hand using my 230lbs of weight. You have to use a specific type of grease that acts as a glue that will hold the inserts in place. Otherwise without the grease the large insert will keep sliding out.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #67
boardgeneration
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! I have a vice if I can't press them in by hand. The fact that they need a glue to hold them in makes me worry a bit tho. But I gotta do something fast. My shifting and ride quality are horrible lately.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #68
WSkobra
Focus Enthusiast

Points 675, Level 13
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
[QUOTE=boardgeneration;4395603]Thanks for the info! I have a vice if I can't press them in by hand. The fact that they need a glue to hold them in makes me worry a bit tho. But I gotta do something fast. My shifting and ride quality are horrible lately.[/QUO

All I did to get my large bushing in was I put the grease inside the dog bone and put some on the bushing itself then put the dog bone mount on the ground then I set the large bushing on the dog bone and pushed one side in then twist and push on the bushing and it will slide right in. The smaller bushing I did pretty much the same but once I got one side in good enough I used a hammer and hammered it in the rest and it popped right in. Total time for me that it took to do it this way was about 15minutes which included the removal of the mount and pressing the new inserts in and reinstalling the mount.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #69
Freddie Rios
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104664
What I Drive: 2009 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Freddie Rios Good Standing Member
the only problem known for Duratec engines in the termostat housing cracks, when this happens , dont drive the vehicle you can blow up the head gasket , just tow the car to the nearest ford dealer.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #70
Iguy93
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95480
What I Drive: 2005 Infra-Red zx4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Iguy93 Good Standing Member
I spun a rod bearing on my 2.3l duratec because it burned through most of the oil in less that 3000 miles. My parents got it new and took pretty good care of it, but it always burned some oil, probably because it wasn't broken in right. I have since replaced it with a reman and it burns 0 oil and runs perfectly. Just check your oil every time you get gas and top it off if it needs it and you will be good to go!

Bookmarks & Social Networks