focus leans while driving - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe77 View Post
Drove it a little more today...and same issue...pulls on hard acceleration and braking, besides the wandering on slightest road imperfection etc...I wish I had my old rack before the accident, steering was tight on highway, loose on parking/low speed and perfect. Very manageable.

What is the part# for your gear replaced?
my final order service stated - cv6z-3504-DE, I have a titanium with 17 inch wheels

Maybe it has to do something with the parts..I know there are 3 racks out there DE,CE and KE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenney View Post
the only problem i have is on roads with grooves in them that run perpendicular to the direction of travel. Sorry you guys are having these issues, my Focus is perfect, 0 issues.
as far as pull on hard braking or acceleration, that is normal on front wheel drives. My 2000 focus did it as did my 02 focus, 03 focus, 05 Malibu and my new 2012 SEL.

if pull on hard braking is excessive, there can be air in lines on one side, warped rotor, bad caliper... pretty much anything that would cause uneven pressure.

one more thing... how many miles do you guys have again? have you had yours struts inspected? if they have begun leaking and are not functioning properly they could cause some of this.
My steering rack is BV6Z-3504-KE.

I have not had my struts inspected/replaced. The braking pull once again happens intermittently, but more times than not.

This all started after I got my new rack...the only issue with the old one was the highway wander, which is now fixed...but Now I have to deal with the pull to the right.

I have ~7,200 miles.

This is infuriating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
joe77
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103302
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 1 joe77 Good Standing Member
tell me about...lets see if Crystal looks into this. I want my old steering back. Had i test driven this car with the current new steering rack that I have now, i would not have purchased this car.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
Craeshen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90525
What I Drive: 2012 candy blue Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Craeshen Good Standing Member
Have them check the shock to see if it is defective or broken. (can happen potholes and rough roads are notorious for eating shocks.) The strut mount could also be fatigued or broken.

Just kind of the first thing that came to mind when I read your car gets physically lower on one side.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Just drove my normal route to work (i'm working nights for the next 4 days) and the pull to the right was not noticable...however the pull from a start and braking was there, but not as bad as it is other times. If my focus drove this way all the time I would be happy, because the times it did "pull" was very minimal and could be possibly explained by imperfections in the road.

This is why I don't really want to take my car to the dealer..sometimes it drives horrible, other times it drives nearly perfect. I don't want to waste a day at the dealer just to be told it is normal or can't be reproduced.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenney View Post
how can the cars physical ride height change in 1 side? that just makes no sense to me... especially intermittent. i would have right side gone through... control arms, spindle, strut and spring. are you SURE it is actually lower? how can you tell and know its not related to the road surface or an illusion?
thats what i'm hoping to find out, it doesn't make sense at all ,the dealer checked car out found nothing obviously wrong ( 4 road tests , on lift 3 times i waited for car), yes i'm SURE, happened when we went on 1st road test, mechanic pulled out of lot got about a block away b4 it lowered then about 1/2 mile until it leveled out only did it the one time on 4 seperate 6 mile road tests (same route each time)
Old 10-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craeshen View Post
Have them check the shock to see if it is defective or broken. (can happen potholes and rough roads are notorious for eating shocks.) The strut mount could also be fatigued or broken.

Just kind of the first thing that came to mind when I read your car gets physically lower on one side.
thanks for reply, they checked suspension said its ok,thats what i think also a defective strut ,spring or mounts,( none are broken or leaking checked that myself), just have to get a dealer to figure it out
Old 10-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
onestout
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103860
What I Drive: 2013 black SFE

FF Reputation: 1 onestout Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
Just drove my normal route to work (i'm working nights for the next 4 days) and the pull to the right was not noticable...however the pull from a start and braking was there, but not as bad as it is other times. If my focus drove this way all the time I would be happy, because the times it did "pull" was very minimal and could be possibly explained by imperfections in the road.

This is why I don't really want to take my car to the dealer..sometimes it drives horrible, other times it drives nearly perfect. I don't want to waste a day at the dealer just to be told it is normal or can't be reproduced.
Do you have a break caliper sticking? After it does this feel to see if there is more heat coming from one more than another. Just hold your hand close to the wheel near the caliper, do not touch, can be very hot.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestout View Post
Do you have a break caliper sticking? After it does this feel to see if there is more heat coming from one more than another. Just hold your hand close to the wheel near the caliper, do not touch, can be very hot.
I will try this tomorrow morning when I drive home from work.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #19
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Okay I just drove home from work and realized something. The car pulls to the right A LOT when accelerating from a stop a bit quicker than normal. I can easily duplicate this.

This is not the same problem as the steering wheel jerking left or right when braking quickly. It only sometimes jerks when accelerating. If I hold the wheel tight where it does not move when accelerating quickly from a stop the car almost immediately starts to drive to the right even with the steering wheel held straight.

When maintaining a speed it very slowly starts to pull to the right, sometimes not at all.

Those who are experiencing this can maybe test this out and report back.

note: at work I drive ALL previous gen focuses and none of them drive as shitty as the 2012 in terms of tracking straight....and these are company cars that get ABUSED.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #20
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 8 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's a FWD car with a reasonable amount of power...it'll pull under acceleration.
Hatch Nation #29

Bookmarks & Social Networks