focus leans while driving - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
focus leans while driving

i've already read thru the many suspension/steering threads haven't seen anything similar. I have an SE sedan(03/2011 build) with 8,000 miles has a few suspension steering issues while driving car will occasionally shift/lean(not related to road conditions) towards passenger side front (car physically lowers on passenger side an inch or more) it will stay that way awhile then levels out; steering also pulls to right while its happening then car gradually returns to normal .also have a vibration/pull in steering wheel/wheels when starting from stop/or applying brakes quickly,clunk in suspension that many people have,almost impossible to drive when windy car all over the road(had steering rack replaced at 4400 miles when it finally came in).took it to one dealer said it was normal.Took it in to dealer i bought car from,went for test drive with mechanic car started leaning/pulling right when we pulled out of lot,3 hours later 3 times in shop(rotated tires all they did just had them balanced and rotated) 3 more road tests later (also trying its normal routine by going on a road test in a new focus) they tell me somethings wrong but they have no clue because it only leaned the one time.anybody have similar problems/fixes or ideas? thanks

Last edited by sgmfocus; 10-06-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
I actually think I have the same issue...

steering rack was replaced in the beginning of September.

It pulls to the right just the slightest bit when driving...but not all the time. It is hard to duplicate because while driving on the same road numerous times it may or may not happen.

When accelerating from a stop and applying the brakes quickly I too have a pull in the steering wheel...

I am possibly going to bring my focus to the dealer by the end of the week so I will let you know what happens if I do.

edit: I do not have a vibration in the wheel or any clunking from the transmission.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's likely the pull drift compensation the electric steering is supposed to do. It compensates when there are inconsistencies in the road that would cause the car to drift left or right.

The issue is that it doesn't really work as well as it should...I'd much prefer it just let me handle it myself, but I doubt it's something easy to disable.

I also doubt you'll get it "fixed", as there is likely nothing wrong with it. Maybe Ford will change the programming a bit...until then I don't see any methods of eliminating it.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
maybe i should clarify what i mean by "shift/lean" the car physically lowers about an inch or more on passenger side while driving.can feel and see passenger side lower while driving
Some Guy From NY thanks for reply,your still not fixed either if you find out anything i'd appreciate any info, think we were waiting for parts and having nightmares with dealers about the same time on "steering thread"
Joeywhat thanks for the reply. don't think its related to steering rack/programming itself the only time it pulls is when car decides to drop, other times the steering is "normal" for electronic steering
Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
joe77
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103302
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 1 joe77 Good Standing Member
Hey SomeGuyfromNY, i forgot to mention in my PM, I too have a slight pull to the right when braking hard, which never had before.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
how can the cars physical ride height change in 1 side? that just makes no sense to me... especially intermittent. i would have right side gone through... control arms, spindle, strut and spring. are you SURE it is actually lower? how can you tell and know its not related to the road surface or an illusion?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
This car is really getting on my last nerves. I want to be able to love it - I see the potential, but every time I drive I end up grinding my teeth when it decides to not drive straight. This electronic steering is such bullshit. So many things can go wrong if not programmed or installed correctly.

I don't notice any difference in ride height...but like I said earlier, it does pull to the right and the steering wheel pulls when accelerating from a stop or braking quickly. It did not do either of these things before I had my steering rack replaced.

Also with the new steering rack, the steering is VERY loose. The slightest imperfections in the road cause the car to drive in a different direction if I am not holding the wheel tightly. The steering was much stiffer (which I preferred) before the new steering rack.

I don't know what to do at this point.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
joe77
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Drove it a little more today...and same issue...pulls on hard acceleration and braking, besides the wandering on slightest road imperfection etc...I wish I had my old rack before the accident, steering was tight on highway, loose on parking/low speed and perfect. Very manageable.

What is the part# for your gear replaced?
my final order service stated - cv6z-3504-DE, I have a titanium with 17 inch wheels

Maybe it has to do something with the parts..I know there are 3 racks out there DE,CE and KE
Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
the only problem i have is on roads with grooves in them that run perpendicular to the direction of travel. Sorry you guys are having these issues, my Focus is perfect, 0 issues.
as far as pull on hard braking or acceleration, that is normal on front wheel drives. My 2000 focus did it as did my 02 focus, 03 focus, 05 Malibu and my new 2012 SEL.

if pull on hard braking is excessive, there can be air in lines on one side, warped rotor, bad caliper... pretty much anything that would cause uneven pressure.

one more thing... how many miles do you guys have again? have you had yours struts inspected? if they have begun leaking and are not functioning properly they could cause some of this.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
joe77
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenney View Post
the only problem i have is on roads with grooves in them that run perpendicular to the direction of travel. Sorry you guys are having these issues, my Focus is perfect, 0 issues.
as far as pull on hard braking or acceleration, that is normal on front wheel drives. My 2000 focus did it as did my 02 focus, 03 focus, 05 Malibu and my new 2012 SEL.

if pull on hard braking is excessive, there can be air in lines on one side, warped rotor, bad caliper... pretty much anything that would cause uneven pressure.

one more thing... how many miles do you guys have again? have you had yours struts inspected? if they have begun leaking and are not functioning properly they could cause some of this.
My car was received yesterday after 1 month in service. It was involved in a minor accident which caused struts, tire rods and steering gear to be replaced. Mine is a titanium hatch built this year in March, delivered early April...had no issues before the accident whatsoever and the steering was fine, no pulls, no drift, nothing...now with the repairs, the steering is not like when I bought it, it downright sux! I think it is not a repair issue, but this is how the new racks are ....If i cant get used to it, I may trade it in for something else. Im getting tired.

Just to show you, here is a pic of the damage caused by the accident...hard to believe this minor dent caused all these problems. Someguyfromny, knows what I am taking about.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32154256/1500800082_P_9.jpeg

Bookmarks & Social Networks