DCT Complaints Thread - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #111
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Points 166, Level 3
Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
I was going to start a new thread for this but will begin here:

Like many I've got the same DCT behaviors that many here are complaining about (Mar 11 build Ti). Before someone comes at me with the "you should have done your research" comment: YES I knew there would be some quirks, BUT, the real questions that I think are not yet answered within ant of these threads are:

1 - Are these ”normal" DCT noises going to wear out transmission parts prematurely?
2 - Are these ”normal" DCT noises going to damage transmission parts?
3 - How likely is ford to extend transmission warranty if the answer to either of the above is YES? If ford won't extend, what kind of repair bills are we looking at down the road?

If the answer to 1,2 above is no, I'll happily drive the car with these behaviors knowing that it should last a full lifespan. If the answer to 1 or 2 is YES then even a DCT expert is going to be concerned.

What are your opinions on 1,2,3?
1. Ford says no - My opinion yes. I have been driving for a good while and this is the first I have heard of calling grinding noise from a transmission normal.
2. Ford says no - My opinion yes. No one has stated an explanation what the grinding noise is or where exactly in the transmission the noise comes from but there are already reports of clutches being replaces on 2011 and 2012 model vehicles.
3. Who knows - There have been a least a couple people that said Ford gave them an extended warranty after having their clutch replaced. Do not know what warranty was given but I have looked at the ESP warranties you can purchase from Ford and it does not cover the clutch.

I think (or hope) this is going to result in some sort of a major recall where Ford finally figures out what is causing all this and gets the problem cars back in and fixes them.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #112
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,871, Level 66
Points: 9,871, Level: 66 Points: 9,871, Level: 66 Points: 9,871, Level: 66
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
1. Ford says no - My opinion yes. I have been driving for a good while and this is the first I have heard of calling grinding noise from a transmission normal.
2. Ford says no - My opinion yes. No one has stated an explanation what the grinding noise is or where exactly in the transmission the noise comes from but there are already reports of clutches being replaces on 2011 and 2012 model vehicles.
3. Who knows - There have been a least a couple people that said Ford gave them an extended warranty after having their clutch replaced. Do not know what warranty was given but I have looked at the ESP warranties you can purchase from Ford and it does not cover the clutch.

I think (or hope) this is going to result in some sort of a major recall where Ford finally figures out what is causing all this and gets the problem cars back in and fixes them.
Ford likely only gave out their extended service contract which if it doesn't cover the clutch at all won't help anyhow.

I find the ESP to be useless and I want my money back since the dealer refuses to fix things because they say things in such a manner that Ford always sides with them and denies the claim. So WTF.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #113
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,732, Level 58
Points: 7,732, Level: 58 Points: 7,732, Level: 58 Points: 7,732, Level: 58
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Ford likely only gave out their extended service contract which if it doesn't cover the clutch at all won't help anyhow.

I find the ESP to be useless and I want my money back since the dealer refuses to fix things because they say things in such a manner that Ford always sides with them and denies the claim. So WTF.
You really need to get with another dealer.

I moved, so I'm not using the dealer I used to...when I take my car in for service in about a month, I'm going to through out that I'm looking for two sets of tires, to see if that changes how I'm treated. It's probably pretty easy to not give a damn about a customer only doing warranty work...let out that you might actually give them some real money, and I bet the tune changes.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 10-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #114
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post

About point 3 and your past paragraph:

It would be a great positive development, which would make Ford look even better to existing and potential customers -- such actions would show Ford takes the time to care. People love ethical companies, particularly these days. Mistakes happen, stuff happens, and those can be frustrating -- but it's how the product maker deals with such stuff is the key.

I too recall reading Ford replacing transmissions, at no cost...
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #115
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,871, Level 66
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post

I moved, so I'm not using the dealer I used to...when I take my car in for service in about a month, I'm going to through out that I'm looking for two sets of tires, to see if that changes how I'm treated. It's probably pretty easy to not give a damn about a customer only doing warranty work...let out that you might actually give them some real money, and I bet the tune changes.
I've tried asking another dealer to look at it, but they refused point blank because they think that Ford denied the claim and tried to redirect me to the first idiots. I'd have to go somewhere else again and ask to see if someone could figure out why the hood is not lined up properly or why the headlamp is grinding into the hood and taking the paint off.

The different dealer's service department/ quicklane did the oil change and tire rotation no problem because they get to make their money or whatever (I'd rather change the oil myself but I don't want to transport it in my car and not really sure if I'm allowed to work on it here at the apartment complex.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #116
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

Points 127, Level 2
Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
What's the cost of a clutch replacement? If it's 500$ every 5y, I can live with that but not 2000$ every 2y. We all have to decide if we’ll keep or sell these cars. Right now I can trade the car in at a ford dealer and they really can't mark down my trade in due to this issue since Ford denies it even exists!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #117
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed.

Not all dealers are so low. Some are decent and some are stellar. The unfortunate part is having to deal with a shady dealer and then having to find a better one, which might be a longer distance away...
Old 10-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #118
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Points 7,732, Level 58
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Quote:
I've tried asking another dealer to look at it, but they refused point blank because they think that Ford denied the claim and tried to redirect me to the first idiots. I'd have to go somewhere else again and ask to see if someone could figure out why the hood is not lined up properly or why the headlamp is grinding into the hood and taking the paint off.

The different dealer's service department/ quicklane did the oil change and tire rotation no problem because they get to make their money or whatever (I'd rather change the oil myself but I don't want to transport it in my car and not really sure if I'm allowed to work on it here at the apartment complex.
Really? What dealer is that? Sounds like you're having bad luck with dealers...

You'd think Ford would do something with these dealers. They can have the best products in the world, but awful dealer service just ruins it all.

I can't wait until I go in to get my mirror fixed for the second time...wondering how that will play out.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #119
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,871, Level 66
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Really? What dealer is that? Sounds like you're having bad luck with dealers...

You'd think Ford would do something with these dealers. They can have the best products in the world, but awful dealer service just ruins it all.

I can't wait until I go in to get my mirror fixed for the second time...wondering how that will play out.
Two dealerships, the first one is nearer to where I live but is still within a 10 mile radius of WHQ more than likely. Actually its 9.6 Miles from WHQ via the Southfield freeway, I94 and Telegraph rds. That was the original bunch of jokers who sold the car then didn't inspect it properly before it came off the truck then later tried to claim the car was hit and therefore refused to warranty the damage that was there from the factory. With what evidence do they support such a claim? A tiny little mark on the tail lamp that was also touching the paint/ rubbing on it? Really so one tiny mark on one part of the car = warranty invalidated huh? Gee thanks morons.

The second is closer to where I work, and is in Dearborn directly, that one was only 3.5 miles away from WHQ. They were willing to change the oil and do the tire rotation and inspection as a paid service, but when I went to try and ask the body shop guy there to even look at it they refused because they said if the first dealer tried and Ford said no then they can't help, and they didn't even want to try and estimate the cost either for comparison or fact gathering. They just sent me back towards jokers number 1. Salesman was not in, different one tried to send me to service, they can't help and refused to figure out what claim form the salesman was talking about that I needed to submit to ford directly to override their decision. I've escalated things through the forum and through FCSD but they just listen to what the dealer says, not based on any physical evidence, so if you have an issue with the car that was there from new it would probably be better to avoid the car in the first place.

Car drives ok, but the body work is messed up from the factory. The hood is being gouged by the lf head lamp and the lr tail lamp is grinding into the paint as well. Both of which will lead to rust if its not taken care of.

The dealer claims they would do the work but they don't want to not get paid, but they are the reason they won't get paid. Why should I pay to fix what Ford screwed up in the first place? How is that logical?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #120
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Points 7,732, Level 58
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Well, there's probably a ton of people who still have their cars serviced (outside of warranties) at the dealers...so why bother taking care of someone where you might not make as much money when you've got that cash cow going for you?

Sucks, but that's what these guys seem to be telling us through that behavior.

When I bought my car, and had it serviced, I was given an online survey from Ford Corporate. From what I've heard dealers actually give a damn about what gets said on those...and at Village Ford they had a sign up that said if for whatever reason you couldn't give them all 100% ratings in every area to talk to the manager...could just be feel good BS (I had a good experience so I had no need to discuss anything with them), but perhaps a couple bad reviews to corporate will light a fire under their ass?
Hatch Nation #29

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.