SCT Tunes New ST - 253whp, 323wtq @2400 RPM - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #31
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 Matt View Post
I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Anyone care to explain?
Quote:
But what do these numbers mean?
Are you going to ask a real question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJellyBean View Post
Someone who owns a Charger asking borderline sarcastic questions about the ST's dyno sheet. You're either truly a newbie to this kind of thing or a massive troll.
I agree, not adding anything useful to the thread.

Back OT:
Anyone know what the bottom end is good for? I know the Coyote 5.0 and the Boss 5.0 have different internals, does the ST have forged internals as well?
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #32
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hmmm K03. Same as the Audi's... Wonder how long it'll take til a K04 upgrade will come about? I'd love a li'l ST with a $600 upgrade + tune to take it to 350+whp. =D
- Jody -
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #33
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Click on this fantastic link that will answer this and most likely all of life's most difficult questions. It's an amazing resource.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 78k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #34
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Someone who owns a Charger asking borderline sarcastic questions about the ST's dyno sheet. You're either truly a newbie to this kind of thing or a massive troll.
its just an sxt.... so i think its ok for him to ask these questions... lol
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #35
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiStick View Post
Are you going to ask a real question?

I agree, not adding anything useful to the thread.
Or, since you're all such geniuses, you could just take a minute out of your day to explain a dyno sheet to this user instead of wasting time being s.
Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 Matt
Horsepower and Torque are units the industry uses to measure the total power output of an engine. You see it all the time in marketing.
The dyno sheet shown above is a type of graph that shows us how much power the car is making at various engine speeds (RPM)
What it boils down to is:
-Horsepower equals how fast you can go
-Torque is how fast you'll get there.
In ANY case, a big flat torque curve is preferred because it means the vehicle's acceleration will more or less be constant across the powerband.
Some designs like Honda's V-Tec or even Ford's Duratec lump all of the torque at the top of the powerband so you don't get the full power of the vehicle until you're revving the nuts off at 5k RPM.
As you can see on the ST's dyno sheet, the maximum torque is achieved at the lowest RPM and stays relatively flat through the entire RPM range. This ensures that you will have engine response at all RPM.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #36
313 Matt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102253
What I Drive: 2010 Dodge Charger SXT

FF Reputation: 1 313 Matt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
Or, since you're all such geniuses, you could just take a minute out of your day to explain a dyno sheet to this user instead of wasting time being s.
Just a thought.

Horsepower and Torque are units the industry uses to measure the total power output of an engine. You see it all the time in marketing.
The dyno sheet shown above is a type of graph that shows us how much power the car is making at various engine speeds (RPM)
What it boils down to is:
-Horsepower equals how fast you can go
-Torque is how fast you'll get there.
In ANY case, a big flat torque curve is preferred because it means the vehicle's acceleration will more or less be constant across the powerband.
Some designs like Honda's V-Tec or even Ford's Duratec lump all of the torque at the top of the powerband so you don't get the full power of the vehicle until you're revving the nuts off at 5k RPM.
As you can see on the ST's dyno sheet, the maximum torque is achieved at the lowest RPM and stays relatively flat through the entire RPM range. This ensures that you will have engine response at all RPM.
Thank you kind sir.

I've never had a performance car of any kind, so I've always ignored dyno sheets. I don't understand how to read one. Also never tuned a car before.

I was more interested in what difference there was between the stock and tuned version.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #37
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Quote:
I've never had a performance car of any kind, so I've always ignored dyno sheets. I don't understand how to read one. Also never tuned a car before.

I was more interested in what difference there was between the stock and tuned version.
You're question is now much more specific, and we can answer it in a more gentlemanly manner.

The stock numbers for the ST are 252 hp, 270 tq. These numbers are measured at the crankshaft of the car, like all manufacturer's numbers. Dynamometers, however, measure power at the wheels, which includes drivetrain losses due to friction, rotational mass, etc. WHP and WTQ will generally be 10-20% lower than crankshaft numbers due to these losses. This means that the numbers cannot be directly compared. Take a look at this thread to see stock dyno sheets to which these tuned results can be directly compared to. Basically, SCT gained about 23 whp and 44 wtq through tuning.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 78k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 10-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #38
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Thank you kind sir.

all you got to do is follow the lines and look at the numbers on the side and bottom. if theres many lines its prob a tuned vs stock numbers. hp and tq are pointed out
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #39
gimmemoreboost
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83716
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 gimmemoreboost Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLOW View Post
oh wow! small as fk. its prob +/- at its limit with these sct numbers. i can see many turbo and/or compressor side upgrades in the near future.
Chris told me that the turbo IS maxed out at this point.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #40
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmemoreboost View Post
Chris told me that the turbo IS maxed out at this point.
thought so,

next step is full bolt-ons, cats gotta go, maybe a FMIC kit, step colder plugs and retune. bet you theres +/- 30ish whp and more wtq hidden in there. i can see stock clutch go bye bye shortly after this

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->