Trans flush/filter change Worth the effort to DIY? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just did this job recently.
If you just go off the starter, you will not be doing yourself any favors.
The manual even tells you to start the motor during this process.

The engine has to run for 15-20 seconds to pump out 2 qts.
You also NEED to move the shifter through all the gears during this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The pump may have that output but you can be sure the various piping and fluid passages are gonna kill that rate horribly. Look at the video, that is NOWHERE near a 50gpm rate. 50gpm would be like a wide open water hose.

While I have simply disconnected cooler lines to do one, I have not seen a clearcut indicator on one where the fluid suddenly turns color, the fluid is heavily mixed in the converter and there is no clearcut time to stop. Refilling while pumping out probably the best way, 10 quarts in and 10 out say.

I pull the pan and put drain plug in it, then either a 2X or 3X change to get it all. I even saved the output from a 3X operation to use it in a 2X on another car to save fluid costs. I also save 3X output to use for like chainsaw bar lube and the like.

For sure if you can find gasket it's far better than gluing up the pan........
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
diexodos
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104141
What I Drive: 2001 Sand color Ford Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 diexodos Good Standing Member
AMC49, can you describe the method of putting a plug on the bottom of the transmission pan? This is the flushing method that I have used in the past on cars with plugs.
Do you see any issue with pulling the trans cooler fitting on the transmission side, run it for 10 seconds and refill? It seems to be the favorite method by most members although it does sound a little dangerous.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Drill hole in pan and install say a drain plug kit from B&M transmissions. I don't use that exact plug, I cobble mine up, long story there. The B&M will work.

I see nothing wrong with 10 seconds at a time as long as you don't run it dry. By the time you get air at the tube the pump will have possibly scored itself since a long distance between. I'd err on the side of trying to leave at least one quart still in trans.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #15
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Bringing this one back. Couple questions first according to the manual and the dealer the filter doesn't need to be changed until around 150k. Changing it couldn't hurt? I cant imagine that though.

Second the car still has warranty, if I were to diy the fluid change and say down the road I had issues with it could they deny the claim because I didn't have the service done at the dealer.

Oh and I called the dealer this morning just to see and its actually 179 to have the flush done and that's not even the filter!!! Robbery if you ask me. It really baffles me why they charge so much for it.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #16
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
robbery huh? well I'm sure their rate is about $100 an hour and fluid cost. and whatever other fees they tack on.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #17
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
robbery huh? well I'm sure their rate is about $100 an hour and fluid cost. and whatever other fees they tack on.
Well that may be a bit harsh, but yeah. I mean especially all I'm assuming it consists of is popping the lines, hooking it to a machine and letting it go. Then refill and done. Its not just them either everywhere charges what seems to be an exorbitant price for a trans service. Most of my other dealers prices are fairly reasonable.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

So I took a shot at it yesterday, not the best idea it was almost 5:30, and it needed up getting dark on me. The job looks fairly simple and straight forward and would probably take a hours of so.

Heres the problem though, my cooler lines have that, I think its a snap connector, I cant get the thing off. I checked the link in the how to, but they all seem to say push it forward, then push in on the sides and pull out. Mine doesn't seem to be able to push forward. Especially the one on the tranny side, because its right up against the fitting its connected to.

I have 2 connectors, they look about the same, except ones has black tabs and the other has blue ones. They look like it should be easy, push the tabs and pull, but its doesn't even seem like I can push the tabs all that much.

I just want to be really careful with it because if I break that thing I'm stuck. Ill be walking to the Ford dealer lol.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
rather than mess with the rubber hose and clamp,
I just unscrewed the steel fitting from the return line where it goes into the trans.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

I was wondering if that wold work or not. Ill give that a try should be much easier then messing with the clip for half an hour.

Bookmarks & Social Networks