After market stereo/hd radio installation - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
skintner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104345
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 skintner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
After market stereo/hd radio installation

Hi again,
I am not totally new to wiring car stereos but am a little confused.

I just got my new Kenwood HD head, with the harness kit.

The color coded wiring for the most part is ok, but the wiring plug for the kenwood doesn't have nearly the number of wires the harness kit has.

Brown - 4 leads on the harness kit... the package says Brown=Mute/Not Used
The Kenwood has one brown lead that says Mute. ??? Which brown in the harness kit should I use?

The harness kit has PINK and not listed on the package, no PINK leads on the Kenwood plug harness.

The harness kit has ORANGE and ORANGE/Black, listed as Illumination and Illumination Dimmer, nothing corresponding on the Kenwood plug. I assume it's for illumination in the factory unit, not needed in the new Kenwood unit.

the Kenwood plug has BLUEWHITE, labeled steering wheel remote... my car has no such thing.

The Kenwood plug has blue, labeled P.CONT I assume that is continuous power for the clock?

The Kenwood plug has BLUE ANT. CONT I assume it's for a power antena? My car has none.

I would imagine one of the blue leads supplies power on for the power amp that I don't have.

So, my plan is to solder up the speaker wires which are easy, the black ground and yellow and red because they correspond from the Kenwood plug to the Harness kit. Any leads that don't have partners I will tape and leave alone, unless you have suggestions.

BTW, I'm not ready to add a power amp at this time lol

Thanks,
steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A Garsh Dern 'Murican Flag, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I actually JUST completed a bit of a how to for part of installing a stereo.

I also had the same unused cables as you, with the exception of the steering controls. Just tape em off and leave them! Also, black and red are NOT the power and ground cables on the female side of the stock harness!! Power is pin 2, ground is pin 19. But ground doesn't get grounded anymore since the old head unit used to ground it, if your harness is the same as mine! You will have to make a new ground the 19 pin.

Last edited by matmatician; 10-04-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
skintner
Focus Rookie

What do you mean black and red are not power and ground on the stock harness? That is how they are labeled on the list for the harness kit and the plug for the Kenwood... I don't have a clue which is pin 2 and which is 19...
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

I dont know if 05 had a different harness than mine (it shouldnt, the 05-07's should be the same), but I just did this today and my stereo works lol :P Hope this is a bit more clear, I was writing the last on my phone.

The ground wire on the female side of the radio harness is pin number 19. It will be a brown and yellow wire. Pin 2 (live 12v power) is green and yellow. Ignore the part about the green and white wire, you wont be using that.

if the male end of your Kenwood adapter is missing the corresponding plug that goes into pin #19, it will not be grounded. As you can see, mine did not have that. And if the manual says the red wire on the male side of your kenwood is power, it's probably right.
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
skintner
Focus Rookie

The colors you are mentioning are not present on the male harness kit... I haven't looked at the female side yet... If the black wire on the harness kit is labeled as ground and black on the plug for the radio is black and listed as ground, then why would they not be? The harness kit is built for a 2005 Focus. It says Factory Wiring Harness on the package.

I'm more confused than before... maybe I should call Scosche
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

You're right, they wont be on the male side of the harness! Sorry for the confusion, I'm talking about the female side of the adapter that the old head unit plugged into.

You're 100% right on the male end though. Sorry about that!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #7
skintner
Focus Rookie

Ok... I soldered all the speaker wires and the ones I could match from the plug for the new Kenwood to the harness kit, plugged it in and voila! It all works...

HD radio is nice! Now to start looking into further upgrade possibilities.

Thanks
steve
Old 10-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #8
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Glad to hear it, sorry if I confused ya at all! And I've gotta admit, despite living in Washington for 22 years and being pretty familiar with the east side, I had no idea where Ione was. lol
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
skintner
Focus Rookie

Not sure where Mill Creek is either...

Not a problem and thanks for your efforts to help me. I didn't need to do anything re: the female end of the factory harness, which is where I got confused. The "adapter" harness from Scosche was easy once I understood that and it turned out perfectly.

I am amazed at the quality of the speakers that came stock in this car. For my ears, they are good across the spectrum powered by the Kenwood KDC-HD552U... no sub that I can see... but deep bass response.

I especially like being able to control and play music from my iPod (which is also pretty amazing through this head)...

thanks, Ford, for keeping up the quality without participating in the bailout fiasco!

steve
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
skintner
Focus Rookie

Finished install

Here are a couple pics of my finished install... didn't take any of the process. The flash from my camera made some odd reflections, but no biggie. You can see how it turned out.

With my iPod plugged in:

Bookmarks & Social Networks