Spring Opinions - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
Dark 007
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80502
What I Drive: 2001 marshall red LX

FF Reputation: 1 Dark 007 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This is probably a dumb-o' question, but, are lowering springs (in general) good for a daily driving Foci in a mayor City

Posted via iPhone using FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84314
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 3 GBPackFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSilverVT02 View Post
There won't be any rubbing with either Eibach Pro-Kit or the Sportlines.

They only way you could possibly rub would be running a tire that is too big.
I have some Sparco Assetto Gara's with 215/45-17's on them. The only thing I failed to understand before I bought them was that they have an offset of 45, if I recall correctly. Ever since then, I have had a terribly rub when I go around a hairpin turn or if I hit a driveway lip or bump. It's also important to note that I have like 138K miles on original springs. Only recently I have learned how bad these stockers get after "X" number of miles, but I am wondering if my rub if more associated with bad springs or that mistake I made in those Assetto Gara's? I have tried running a 205 tire on the wheels and it only seems to help somewhat.

Any help would be great help!!

Also, don't know if it helps, but I replaced the shocks, thinking it was those that were bad. So I have the KYB AGX adjustables on there. I had them put on at 86K miles.
Current love affair: 2004 SVTF #953 (Josephina - pronounced hoe-se-fin-a)
RIP: 2002 SVTF #2358, Sent to graveyard on June 11, 2013. I will always remember the good times we had!!
This car made my hair go gray, and did not care.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33656
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 7 ProSilverVT02 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackFan View Post
I have some Sparco Assetto Gara's with 215/45-17's on them. The only thing I failed to understand before I bought them was that they have an offset of 45, if I recall correctly. Ever since then, I have had a terribly rub when I go around a hairpin turn or if I hit a driveway lip or bump. It's also important to note that I have like 138K miles on original springs. Only recently I have learned how bad these stockers get after "X" number of miles, but I am wondering if my rub if more associated with bad springs or that mistake I made in those Assetto Gara's? I have tried running a 205 tire on the wheels and it only seems to help somewhat.

Any help would be great help!!

Also, don't know if it helps, but I replaced the shocks, thinking it was those that were bad. So I have the KYB AGX adjustables on there. I had them put on at 86K miles.
I totally forgot about running a different offset.

I've edited my original post about rubbing.

Are you planning on upgrading your springs?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #14
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSilverVT02 View Post
I totally forgot about running a different offset.

I've edited my original post about rubbing.

Are you planning on upgrading your springs?
So, with out replacing my wheels, what can I do help my rub? I would guess that replacing my springs and shocks will help, but will it cure the rub?
RIP: 2002 SVTF #2358, Sent to graveyard on June 11, 2013. I will always remember the good times we had!!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33656
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 7 ProSilverVT02 Good Standing Member
You can definitely keep the wheels, but consider running a smaller sized tire.

If you get down into the 205/40/17 tire size range you will decrease your width and height which should reduce, or most likely get rid of the rubbing altogether.

The ride, obviously will be a little rougher because of the smaller sidewall, but you shouldn't have any rubbing issues.

With that said, it doesn't hurt to replace your worn out suspension, but you probably won't see that drastic of a change by replacing your springs and shocks compared to running a smaller tire.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
SVTFocusOnMe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89087
What I Drive: 2003 SVT EAP Screamin' Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 SVTFocusOnMe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
So, with out replacing my wheels, what can I do help my rub? I would guess that replacing my springs and shocks will help, but will it cure the rub?
Are the wheels 17x7 or 17x7.5. If it's a 17x7 I can't imagine your rubbing being bad at all. 215 45 17 is stock tire size and the 45 offset is only 3 away from the stock 48 so that's pretty damn close. I'd look into replacing shocks and springs.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #17
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTFocusOnMe View Post
Are the wheels 17x7 or 17x7.5. If it's a 17x7 I can't imagine your rubbing being bad at all. 215 45 17 is stock tire size and the 45 offset is only 3 away from the stock 48 so that's pretty damn close. I'd look into replacing shocks and springs.
Sticker on the box from Tire Rack says 17x7.. I am getting nasty terrible rub. If I take a hairpin turn at say 7mph, I rub. If I have a friend in my lack of a back seat, I rub. If I hit a driveway lip faster than 2mph, I rub.. I just don't know to do about it... I have tossed around the idea of having my fenders rolled, but I don't even know how to go about that.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
SVTFocusOnMe
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Sticker on the box from Tire Rack says 17x7.. I am getting nasty terrible rub. If I take a hairpin turn at say 7mph, I rub. If I have a friend in my lack of a back seat, I rub. If I hit a driveway lip faster than 2mph, I rub.. I just don't know to do about it... I have tossed around the idea of having my fenders rolled, but I don't even know how to go about that.
That blows my mind. I would replace the old worn out suspension first. Your describing worse rubbing that my car I'm running 17x8 with a 40 offset and a 225/45.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

I'm a little on the heavy side, and so is my wife, but we never experience this much rub before. It started to be noticeable before I got the rims. I went to a mechanic for a clunking noise in my suspension area. He said that the driver side end link was toast. He reccomended that they be replaced in pairs. So he changed out the end links. This was around Nov of 2010. I first noticed the rub when I went over a speed bump and the drivers front tire rub mad nasty, first time ever. I have had 205/45/17's on the drivers side front (popped a flat at work, and that was the only tire the mexican place that would fit..), but since have gone back to 215/45/17's. The rub did seem somewhat diminished with the smaller tire up there, but it never went away comletely..
Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
SVTFocusOnMe
Focus Enthusiast

Hmm yeah I'd prob chalk that one up to a worn out suspension.

Bookmarks & Social Networks