Trunk Release Button on Dash doesn't work - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
gonzo1954
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104398
What I Drive: 2001 red 1600 zetec

FF Reputation: 1 gonzo1954 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
using small flat blade screw driver ,gently remove front of button from dash.you will see small white switch left in dash,press this if boot opens it is the part you have already removed from dash.if you look at the black peice you have removed you will notice 3 plastic ribs running downback of switch.these need to be shortened in length they are stopping front of switch connecting the micro switch when pushed.Use sharp blade and shorten all 3 by about 6mm and reassemble switch.BINGO IT WORKS
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
WhiteThunder
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104162
What I Drive: 2002 SE 4dr

FF Reputation: 3 WhiteThunder Good Standing Member
I have a strange problem with that also. In my case pressing the button on the dash 3 times Ina row one push isn't good enough for white thunder. Also the trunk doesn't latch unless it open and close it twice and hit the trunk switch the second time.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
subwoofer04
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104520
What I Drive: 2006, white, focus ZXW SES

FF Reputation: 1 subwoofer04 Good Standing Member
I've got a similar problem, all of a sudden, my trunk release button stopped working and the button on the door itself. BTW, it's a wagon. Is there an easy fix here or is this a mech problem?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,822, Level 71
Points: 11,822, Level: 71 Points: 11,822, Level: 71 Points: 11,822, Level: 71
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Got a sedan myself, disassembled & cleaned the switch a few times B4 I broke down & got a new one. Once it got to the point that a cleaning only lasted a month or so I got tired of messin' with it (grin)

And for the sedan poster, on mine i have to pull the "Emergency release" in the trunk B4 closing it to make sure it's fully open B4 closing the trunk. Once I do that i don't have to deal with the "door ajar" light or the release not working right 'cause it wasn't closed completely.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
herenow
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105707
What I Drive: 2001 red zx3

Points 315, Level 6
Points: 315, Level: 6 Points: 315, Level: 6 Points: 315, Level: 6
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 herenow Good Standing Member
I have the same issue. I can open my hatch with the Key Fob and the Car Key, but the Dash Release Switch isn't working.

how much was the part replacement? was it cheap.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,059, Level 27
Points: 2,059, Level: 27 Points: 2,059, Level: 27 Points: 2,059, Level: 27
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 88 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow View Post
how much was the part replacement? was it cheap.
iirc,the switch costs $20 or less.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
s.moody88
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106629
What I Drive: 2002 Focus GIHA 1.6L Petrol

FF Reputation: 1 s.moody88 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1954 View Post
using small flat blade screw driver ,gently remove front of button from dash.you will see small white switch left in dash,press this if boot opens it is the part you have already removed from dash.if you look at the black peice you have removed you will notice 3 plastic ribs running downback of switch.these need to be shortened in length they are stopping front of switch connecting the micro switch when pushed.Use sharp blade and shorten all 3 by about 6mm and reassemble switch.BINGO IT WORKS
Thanks gonzo1954. Just brought a 2002 GHIA Focus and the boot release in the car wasn't working.

It works ok with the key in the boot lock and also by pressing the key fob button.... from following your advise and shaving a few mm off the three vanes on the rear of the button the boot realese button now works!

It must be that the white rubber boot behind the button wears a bit? and so pushing the button doesn't quite make it contact the switch. So shaving a few mm off these vanes allows the button to be pushed in slightly further and makes the switch work again.

Thanks
Steve
Old 06-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
riney
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115558
What I Drive: 2000 Green 1.8L Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 riney Good Standing Member
Im having a similiar problem, the button on my dash doesnt work and also the boot release on the key fob doesnt work (but locking and unlocking buttons works). However I can open it manually with my key. When I press the dash release I can hear the button make a click, however the boot doesnt release.

Also when all doors are closed the door open warning light stays on in the dash. Could this be related to the boot issue? The doors turn on and off the interior light when opened and closed, so im assuming its boot related too.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
fets2134
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106353
What I Drive: 2001 Zinc Yellow Clearcoat ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 fets2134 Good Standing Member
Talking Fuse #34, #44 and the white membrane! xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1954 View Post
I had the same problem on our family 2001 Focus ZX5 Hatchback.
It's been three years since we don't use the button anymore, and just recently I found out about this forum and following the advice of gonzo 1954 I removed the button and repositioned the white rubber membrane, voila! :D
It works now!

Still, I had problems because it wasn't consistent and went on to check the fuses, to be more specific fuse #34 'cause I read it on another thread.
This didn't work but it lead to finding out that for me the fuse #44 was the culprit.
Somehow it gets loose and whenever I click it in, the button gets going again.

Big thanks to everyone that joined in on solving this one for me! ;)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.