Focus ST or Dart RT or VW GTI?? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

Points 11,129, Level 69
Points: 11,129, Level: 69 Points: 11,129, Level: 69 Points: 11,129, Level: 69
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yea lol foci is what we usually consider plural... Honestly go and drive the ST u have a lucky do over be certain that is what u want.. I would love a GTI, or if we ever do get it id get a fiesta st..
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpartmgr View Post
Just one....is foci plural???
Yes. Focus=single, Focii=plural. Focii keeps us from having to say Focuses. LOL
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
I must admit the ST was sweet! I am just so soured on the electronics issues that I wonder if the ST will suffer from similar issues?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
It really depends on what you are looking for in a car. The ST is a better car than the current GTI. As a owner of a GTI, I fully admit that. However, if aftermarket support and customization are important to you, the GTI is a much better vehicle, at least right now. ECS Tuning, APR, and some other companies offer so many upgrades and tuning options.

The Dart R/T can't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Its not a hatchback, it isn't out yet (Originally supposed to be August), and its chasis and engine are sub-par compared to the other two.

The only thing that irriates me about the ST, and the Titanium as well, is the lack of standard HIDs. The GTI and top Golf trims both have these standard. You can even get HIDs on a Fusion SE.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,322, Level 41
Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Do you need a hatch or sedan? Get a BRZ
Old 10-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
Do you need a hatch or sedan? Get a BRZ
Yeah I just like a sedan. I also enjoy the hatch, but that is not too important. I do like the BRZ and the FRS. Problem is rear wheel drive. Not good in the midwest.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball40dtw View Post
It really depends on what you are looking for in a car. The ST is a better car than the current GTI. As a owner of a GTI, I fully admit that. However, if aftermarket support and customization are important to you, the GTI is a much better vehicle, at least right now. ECS Tuning, APR, and some other companies offer so many upgrades and tuning options.

The Dart R/T can't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Its not a hatchback, it isn't out yet (Originally supposed to be August), and its chasis and engine are sub-par compared to the other two.

The only thing that irriates me about the ST, and the Titanium as well, is the lack of standard HIDs. The GTI and top Golf trims both have these standard. You can even get HIDs on a Fusion SE.
I would just leave mine just as I buy it. So no mods at all. So it needs to be nice from day one!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #18
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
I would just leave mine just as I buy it. So no mods at all. So it needs to be nice from day one!
ST with Recaros. Done.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
Properly speaking, once a word of foreign origin has been adopted into English, you use English rules for plurallizing it. So, "Focuses", not "Foci". ("Octopuses", not "octopodes".) "Foci" is the Latin plural, and you'll see it a lot in math textbooks, so I won't deduct too many points.

Advantages of the GTI compared to the ST:
- slightly better interior materials and construction; much cleaner, tidier interior layout. I kind of like the Focus interior personally, but the GTI has a more Euro-upscale-impress-the-boss feel. Somewhat roomier feel, especially with the smaller console, and knee room if you drive with a "wide stance". (Which those ST Recaros probably want you to do anyway...)
- Easier to find, cheaper street price as long as Ford salesman can take advantage of the ST hype. Depends on your negotiating skills, availability of X-plan, etc.
- Manual seats even in leather. (This one's a bit of a personal preference; power seats seem like a waste of weight and money to me.)
- Mk6 Golf far along in its life cycle, so bugs have been worked out, parts are available, etc.
- Very nice electronically controlled DCT with shifter paddles. ST is only available in manual, which is just as well given all the reports about the Ford DCT. But the VW one is good.
- Some people say the back seat is roomier. I don't see it. I can sit in the back of either depending on the front seat position; I can't sit in either if the front seats are all the way back. Per the numbers, front+back leg room is identical (0.2" more in the GTI.) I think it's just that the ST seats go 2" further back (43" front leg room rather than 41" -- so this might score as an advantage for the ST for tall drivers that need that leg room.)

Advantages of the ST:
- 8" screen with MFT is better for easy reading of the nav. GTI nav exhibited one error even on my test drive, claiming the road I was on wasn't connected with my destination.
- Slightly better handling. The GTI is quite good, but I'll give the edge to the ST. I had a chance to drive them both over the same route, and there were places where the GTI was doing a fine job holding its line, communicating the bumps, and I was having a blast -- where the ST was simply effortless. Both are excellent here.
- more cargo space. ST loses a bit compared to the regular Focus thanks to the full-size spare, but it's still handily more than the GTI.
- More power! No competition here, obviously. Also, the really wide torque band makes passing and low speeds easy in the ST. Zero torque steer from the GTI, but the ST has no more than a little tug. (Intentionally left in, says Ford.)
- Personally, I like the looks of the ST much better. GTI looks good, but very conservative unto boring.

I chose the ST. The GTI is not a bad choice, though.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,322, Level 41
Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Yeah I just like a sedan. I also enjoy the hatch, but that is not too important. I do like the BRZ and the FRS. Problem is rear wheel drive. Not good in the midwest.
Why are they not good in the midwest, I live in oklahoma, there are tons of rwd mustangs and pickups.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.