Can an armrest be put into a 07 Focus that was stock w/o one? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
sola fide
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104515
What I Drive: 2007 Black Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sola fide Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Can an armrest be put into a 07 Focus that was stock w/o one?

Howdy: Apologies upfront if this has already been answered in the forum. I dug around searching the forum and found answers going the opposite direction but didn't find the answer I'm looking for.

I own a 2007 basic Ford Focus Sedan. We're talking manual tranny, no cruise control, manual windows, manual locks, and no middle arm rest. First owner bought it in California, we became the 2nd owners while in Cali, and it has the PZEV emblem on the back. We're assuming it's the "S trim line" but we can't find verification of that anywhere on the car. That was a fun one when the bank loan officer was searching everywhere for the trim line trying to verify the value of the car.

Anyway, directly behind my E-brake is two shallow cup holders. Basically they're worthless as they're so shallow the drinks just roll out of them on turns. The cup holder is basically a plastic piece that easily comes out.
(Link to Image in Dropbox)

After removed, underneath shows bolts for the middle console. (I assume)
(Link to Image in Dropbox)

Does anyone know if it's possible to pop in a stock Focus armrest into that position? Or does anyone know of an aftermarket armrest that can take that spot? I'm now in the San Antonio, TX area if anyone has any suggestions of local areas where to look.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
UnbridledCarnage
Rhinoliner!!!

Fan#: 66551
What I Drive: 03 Rhinoliner'd ZX3 AdvanceTrac

FF Reputation: 9 UnbridledCarnage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
dont see why you couldnt
Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
sola fide
Focus Rookie

I was looking at pictures of armrests on Ebay and it appeared as if the screw holes didn't line up with what mine had. It also looked wider than the space I have. Of course, that could also just be the way the picture was taken.
From my understanding, the armrests are interchangeable from 2000-2007?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
iirc correctly you replace the entire section and not just the armrest portion. the only thing that stays is the ebrake and your shifter. (some one else will probably know for sure, im sure you arent the first to swap armrest.) There will be screws holding everthing in on the front cupholders and then the screw you already found on those rears. then you just unscrew your shift knob. the only tricky part is the e-brake, pull it all the way up and then lift everything over it(tight fit)

I went through armrest withdraw initially going from a car with one to the one with out. After driving with out it for a while and then driving my sisters focus with one, i preferred with out better. That center counsel portion is interchangeable from 00-07, havent heard of anyone with issues with them not fitting (manual to manual, auto to auto of course.) Also, some people with manuals get annoyed with the arm rest, saying it gets in the way of the shifter and ebrake.

Also, your car sounds like a base S model. Manual and no power standard, AC was an option at that level. You will also not have a tachometer or ABS.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
You have to replace the entire center console in order to have one with an arm rest.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
TriggersDawn
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100290
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 TriggersDawn Good Standing Member
I swapped a non armrest console into our focus. The latch for the compartment was busted and I could not find a replacement. It order to stop the rattling, I got one from the junkyard without an arm rest. I am sure you can do the same in reverse.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
sola fide
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
iirc correctly you replace the entire section and not just the armrest portion. the only thing that stays is the ebrake and your shifter. (some one else will probably know for sure, im sure you arent the first to swap armrest.) There will be screws holding everthing in on the front cupholders and then the screw you already found on those rears. then you just unscrew your shift knob. the only tricky part is the e-brake, pull it all the way up and then lift everything over it(tight fit)

I went through armrest withdraw initially going from a car with one to the one with out. After driving with out it for a while and then driving my sisters focus with one, i preferred with out better. That center counsel portion is interchangeable from 00-07, havent heard of anyone with issues with them not fitting (manual to manual, auto to auto of course.) Also, some people with manuals get annoyed with the arm rest, saying it gets in the way of the shifter and ebrake.

Also, your car sounds like a base S model. Manual and no power standard, AC was an option at that level. You will also not have a tachometer or ABS.
Thanks rambleon. This makes more sense and at least now I have an idea of what all I'm getting into. I'm guessing from what I see the section you're referring too only goes up past the shifter. It does not include the front face console with the radio and the AC controls, correct?

I've worked extensively on a 1990 mustang that I own and I've noticed even 17 years later some of the design and layout is the same. A while back I had to pull the middle console over the E-brake on that one and it was a pain.

Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
center console on a focus is easy peasy. just swap out the whole unit.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sola fide View Post
Thanks rambleon. This makes more sense and at least now I have an idea of what all I'm getting into. I'm guessing from what I see the section you're referring too only goes up past the shifter. It does not include the front face console with the radio and the AC controls, correct?

I've worked extensively on a 1990 mustang that I own and I've noticed even 17 years later some of the design and layout is the same. A while back I had to pull the middle console over the E-brake on that one and it was a pain.

Thanks again.
Just the base, nothing on the dash needs to be removed. The area directly in front of your shifter, where those front two cup holders are.

This explains the process of removing it in a little more detail:
http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/shortshifter.htm

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->