Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #91
poole34
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102441
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 2 poole34 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
No, I didn't see any oil, BUT, I have a maintenance pkg, so, the dealer does it all..., I will say my transimission did have some oil "oozing" down the outside (the dealer showed it to me today) and it had been there for some time.....
I just did an oil change two days ago and inspected everything but didn't see any type of leakage. I have not used any dealers in my area so I want to be prepared when I take it in. I wish I could find a real copy of the TSB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #92
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
No, I didn't see any oil, BUT, I have a maintenance pkg, so, the dealer does it all..., I will say my transimission did have some oil "oozing" down the outside (the dealer showed it to me today) and it had been there for some time.....
If it's actually oil, that's probably bad... If it's slick, it's transmission fluid and you'll need to get TSB 11-12-13 applied. If it's viscous and sticky/honey colored, it's rust inhibitor applied during manufacturing and that's nothing to be alarmed about.

Last edited by PratoN; 10-04-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: This transmission fluid isn't red...
Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #93
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
You definately should get your dealer to check out your DCT as per TSB 11-12-13, have a read of my findings today from my dealer:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=1#post4387008
Great write up ...this means there is hope for a fix. So just because no leak can be seen from the outside of the bellhousing doesn't mean an internal leak hasn't contaminated the clutches causing damage and all the shuddering issues. So we should have our clutch packs pulled and inspected and not just the outer bellhousing inspected. Wonder how hard it will be to convince the service dept to do this? Your post helps and I'm sure will be used by many to get this looked at.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #94
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Great write up ...this means there is hope for a fix. So just because no leak can be seen from the outside of the bellhousing doesn't mean an internal leak hasn't contaminated the clutches causing damage and all the shuddering issues. So we should have our clutch packs pulled and inspected and not just the outer bellhousing inspected. Wonder how hard it will be to convince the service dept to do this? Your post helps and I'm sure will be used by many to get this looked at.
This.

I have the clutch chattering but no leaking on the outside (I checked myself). Because there's no leak, the service department never checked my clutches. I'm taking it in on Monday for a test drive, this time with their transmission technician now that I can consistently duplicate the chattering.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #95
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
If it's actually oil, that's probably bad... If it's red and slick, it's transmission fluid and you'll need to get TSB 11-12-13 applied. If it's viscous and sticky/honey colored, it's rust inhibitor applied during manufacturing and that's nothing to be alarmed about.
Our DCT's don't use "red" transmission fluid, its brown, just like a "normal" manual transmission, just a heavier weight motor oil really. They were able to inspect my bell housing (and clutches) without too much effort (they had my car back to me in a couple of hours while I wait for the new parts to come in), so, I don't think its a big job to perform the check. I can't see why I dealer wouldn't do the inspection, the TSB states to perform the check if the customer complains about "shuddering" or rough performance and has an early build date (not sure on how early the date is, since I don't have an actual copy of TSB 11-12-13). To be honest, the amount of oil on the outside of the transmission was minimal really, and I wouldn't have thought anything of it really, but, the dealer told me there was quite a bit of oil spray inside the clutch housing. (Makes sense, since the clutch is always spinning when engaged)
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #96
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Your linked post is very informative and makes sense. I have a later build date (5/7/12) and do not have any DCT problems and turning off TCS did nothing for me, but those that have an earlier build date are much more likely to have bad seals and if the oil gets on the clutch pack all bets are off as far as drive-ability. TCS may induce or worsen the shudder problem on a car with contaminated clutch packs by adding another variable in the control loop that isn't "tuned" to handle the unexpected torque/speed response between the input and output of the transmission.

What I'd like to see is a few more of you with the problem bring your car in to have the seals and clutch packs checked and if a significant percentage of you with the shudder issue wind up having contaminated clutch packs that would put to bed the issue and put the onus on Ford to make good on this to ALL there customers with the problem.

It may well be the case that just about all these issues can be traced to bad seals and contaminated clutch packs.

Brian
I have a 6 May 11 build date and all the required DCT updates and everything is smooth as silk but then it always was since i got the car... im just lucky, i guess and i feel for those of u w/ all these problems that should have been addressed before the car went on the market.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #97
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Actually that's not how most traction control systems work. The reason is simple: if your car is on a solid patch of ice, all drivetrain-engaged wheels would spin at close to the same rate. If it were checking purely for the differential between the drive-wheels it wouldn't see much of a difference and thus wouldn't engage the TCS. Most traction control systems operate with a variety of factors.

Another possibility, however unlikely, is that when engaging the clutch from a stop it puts more power to one wheel than the other. The TCS would engage to fix the differential. Like I said, I highly doubt an issue like that would exist on a large scale without Ford taking notice or at least admitting the issue.

As for the rest, I turned TCS back on and it shuddered at the next stop. Turned it off and the shudder is once again gone (at least reasonably so, as I've said). With the TCS off it performs like every other dry dual-clutch transmission I've driven in the past...which means I would have to assume *THAT* is how the car should drive. Very little slippage, but just enough to maximize engine efficiency at takeoff. While driving I experience none of the issues I normally do (taking turns at slow speeds shuddered the engine like crazy and I've had no such issue with TCS disabled).

And of course this is all speculative assumption, beyond the physical change in operation. Why it does it? I couldn't possibly say for sure. I can give my opinion, which is probably not too far from the truth, but I can't say for sure it's the 100% truth as to what is happening. That's for Ford to determine. Until then, I'll keep presenting my evidence and let them keep shooting themselves in the foot by lying to me
You're probably right, but as the Focus differential doesn't lock, the wheels wouldn't spin at the same rate on ice, would they?

I hope this is a good clue for Ford (that they need help from us is another story altogether) but turning the TCS off didn't change my car's behavior a bit. Too bad.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #98
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
You're probably right, but as the Focus differential doesn't lock, the wheels wouldn't spin at the same rate on ice, would they?
Unlike other "open" (non-locking) differentials, in the MkIII Focus they would both spin, because of the Torque Vectoring system. If it were solely an open differential without TV, you'd be correct--only the wheel with the least amount of grip would spin.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #99
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Unlike other "open" (non-locking) differentials, in the MkIII Focus they would both spin, because of the Torque Vectoring system. If it were solely an open differential without TV, you'd be correct--only the wheel with the least amount of grip would spin.
^^This. The Torque Vectoring system would ensure that both wheels are spinning at the same rate in the case of sitting on ice. Because of this, if the TCS only gauged itself on difference in wheel movement it would never engage. This is one of the big reasons TCS systems have stayed away from that type of measurement. It's still part of the calculation, but only a small part.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #100
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Our brilliant in corners torque vectoring system is what causes this, so our front differential isn't like most FWD cars.

I can attest to better smoothness when TCS is off and more smoothness in general when I'm changing on my own

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!

Bookmarks & Social Networks