DCT over revving, car not accelerating. Dangerous - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #21
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
True, but they've been using the PowerShift transmissions since 2008...you'd think that by now they'd have a better handle on how it operates. And when you realize something is wrong, you admit to it and offer a fix. In this case, Ford is saying there's nothing wrong and telling its customers to screw off.

Not the best way to retain a revenue stream. 5 years from now they'll be in the worst shape of the company's history if they don't change this aspect of their customer service.
Of course from 2008 or so the first ones were all the wet clutch variant and not the dry version however that still doesn't excuse them from having a product which doesn't work 100% of the time. (Well realistically aiming for 99.999999999% reliability and durability under general use conditions)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Of course from 2008 or so the first ones were all the wet clutch variant and not the dry version however that still doesn't excuse them from having a product which doesn't work 100% of the time. (Well realistically aiming for 99.999999999% reliability and durability under general use conditions)
Correct. Plenty of other manufacturers have been using a dry-clutch dual-clutch system for years (racing clutches have been designed like this since the late '80s).

The most important thing is that no non-user-interactive transmission/clutch combination should ever be able to damage itself, under normal operating conditions. As it stands that's not the case. The programming currently *IS* able to damage the clutch by screwing up the transmission timings and shift points. In essence, the car is currently able to destroy its own drivetrain, and Ford can deny responsibility.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #23
jellybean
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93883
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium

FF Reputation: 0 jellybean Newbie
Well, I got my car back this morning. Nothing was done to it other than the dealer putting on about 100 miles. They could not fix it because they could not duplicate the issue. So I was sent on my merry way with a....if it happens again let us know.

So now I am driving a $30k car which may or may not slip into neutral while driving on the freeway in traffic and the only way I could correct it last time was to turn the car off. Lucky for me it was on a side street when it happened.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #24
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Sorry. That is pretty much the general response to this car. It has so many bugs that happen and then you do not see them again or it takes a while to see them again. Hopefully you do not have it happen anytime soon.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #25
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
So now I am driving a $30k car
No offense, but to call the Focus a $30k car is a gross exaggeration. It may say $30k on the sticker, but at best it's a $20k economy car that in some instances has $10k, of electronic doo dads added on.

That's why the resale values of these 'supposed' $30k cars is $18k. I'd also be willing to bet that you paid nowhere near $30k, for the car you're referring to.

REV

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-lou View Post
If possible try to take pictures and or videos of all the issues while they are happening make sure a time stamp is on the pictures and videos.
Yes this is good advice for anybody with problems.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
I'd also be willing to bet that you paid nowhere near $30k, for the car you're referring to.
After taxes, title, license, etc. (Not to mention extended warranties and even winter tires) I'd say $30k isn't a gross exaggeration. Especially for myself, considering I didn't get the $2k rebate.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
jellybean
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93883
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium

FF Reputation: 0 jellybean Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
No offense, but to call the Focus a $30k car is a gross exaggeration. It may say $30k on the sticker, but at best it's a $20k economy car that in some instances has $10k, of electronic doo dads added on.

That's why the resale values of these 'supposed' $30k cars is $18k. I'd also be willing to bet that you paid nowhere near $30k, for the car you're referring to.

REV

Posted via FF Mobile
Go look at your documentation. As others said, by the time you are done with all the taxes fees and finance, you are very close to that figure. And if you take into account the interest paid over time, in some cases it could be more.

Anyway the point is this. While I appreciate everything my CSM has done for me thus far, I am now worried that this will happen again. There have been many issues/complaints about the DCT on this car. I won't even go into the issues with the MFT and other gadgetry.

What is Ford doing to address these in a timely manner.....
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #29
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Well, as I posted in this thread, and the other TCS/DCT thread started by hotleadsingerguy here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298984, I had erratic shift behaviour happen and was told there was "no codes", and just reflashed the TCU (with 12B37) and told it's fine now. Then, I started having the "shuddering" at take off that I never had before (had the car over one year with 40k km's on it now), so, I tried the TCS trick (disabling), and it helped a LOT. So, my car went in this morning for an oil change, and I mentioned the shuddering and how disabling the TCS helped a lot, and they wrote that down in my work order for the tech, I also mentioned the TSB 11-12-13 about the transmission seals in the clutch housing, and they said they would check it out.
Well, I just got the car back, and they (my dealer) actually took me seriously this time, and low and behold, my clutch packs are "heavily" contaminated (their words, not mine, LOL) with transmission oil from the bad seals. One of the techs (who I was told was their "DCT guy"), said that a LOT of the earlier build Focus (mine was a May 2011 build) are driving around out there with bad seals and consequently, bad clutches and don't even know it yet.... I had to laugh when I heard that. He surmised that the reason my car shifted smoother with TCS disabled, was because my clutches were wet with oil and "chattering", causing the TCS system to engage to try and "smooth" it out, which of course, it can't.... causing the issues I was seeing. By disabling the TCS, the contaminated clutches could continue to "slip" and engage on thier own, making the vibration go away. I asked him how long did he think I could drive with damaged clutches that way, and he said it depended on how "harshly" I drove the car, but, most likely not too long, most likely within the warranty period anyway.... yeah right!
Another interesting note from my dealer, they actually had a replacement clutch pack in stock (no seals though), but, Ford Canada has advised them NOT to use that "version" of the clutches anymore, apparently there is a "new" design (same as the 2013's I'm told) that they have to order to repair mine with. Not only that, the service writer said they just changed the part number for the DCT transmission oil as well.......... hmmmmm.... I think Ford knows very well that a lot of early build DCT's out there are prone to issues and has quietly changed out a few parts....
The take away (especially those that find the shudder goes away when disabling the TCS as per the other thread), you should get your dealer to check your transmission seals as per TSB 11-12-13 to make sure you don't have a leak, slowly ruining your clutches... if your car is an early build, there is a good chance it's your clutches..
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #30
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
^^ Sounds like my car...

Bookmarks & Social Networks