Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Zetec in ZX2 the same as ZX3?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bobeszx2 
#1 ·
I have the predesessor to the Focus, the ZX2 with the s/r package. Is the Zetec engine in the ZX2 the same as what was put in the Focus? I'm looking to do some engine mods for track days/time trials and haven't found much on the ZX2 and would like to know what, if anything, is the same.
Thanks,
Bob

#3 ·
To my understanding the S/R had the same engine (with addition of the blue valve cover). It has a different ECU, intake and exhaust. The ZX2 and focus engines had different heads, cams and the ZX2 has VCT. I think the block and pistons are the same.

#5 ·
Yes you can, but that also requires custom tuning to disable the VCT Solenoid and fix the errors from the location change of the Cam Position Sensor.

Are you subject to class rules?
Can you post those rules?

It'd be easier to direct you in what changes to make if we first know what limitations your subject to and what your goals are.

#6 ·
Right now i don't have any class rules I need to follow as I'm using the car for open track days. Just looking for the most economical/practical method to increase HP. However, I will be looking into time trial/racing classes before i make any mods. I would love to eventually do wheel to wheel racing but it will more than likely be cost/wife prohibitive so right now I'm thinking mods are wide open.

The main reason I was looking into swapping heads is that it seems there are more options for the focus as far as cams, valves, ect. on the focus head than the ZX2 head?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.