Looking for a little advice. First time buyer looking at an ST - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson)

Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.
Sponsored By: Phil Long Ford - Colorado's #1 Ford Dealer

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Every one of the initial ST2s I saw had the nav (along with the moonroof), though they're both optional, and unrelated as far as packages go. Moonroof is a standalone option; the nav is bundled with stereo/MFT upgrades.

Why do you say this is the last car in which you'll have nav?

I've tried driving using my smartphone as nav, and I'd much rather have a big screen mounted in the dash. Much as I like Google Maps, it's not a replacement. At the least, you need a spot to mount the smartphone / dedicated GPS on the dash where you can see it, it won't slide around. Hands-free operation is a bonus.

Also, I like a dedicated nav system for having a local copy of maps. Google eventually let you pre-download information about places you intended to go, but the smartphone is pretty crippled without an active, quality, data connection. That's not always available, and you don't want nav to depend on it. The flip side is having a decent -- and inexpensive -- way to update that local cache.

The SD card heads in the right idea. Now the car just needs to hop on the WiFi and download free updates while I'm asleep :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
acbauza
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104447
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 acbauza Good Standing Member
I say this is the last car with Nav, because I found that it's cumbersome getting it to understand me and by the time it's figured out where I am going I can use my phone set it down and read well in advance where I am going. I also prefer to plan my routes ahead of time so I can focus on driving.

Would have preferred to have 360* sweeping gauges vs an 8inch LCD that eventually will fail. Lastly, it's been a little weird at times especially at startup. Sometimes the Microsoftisms come out in having to wait for it as it loads or if you do too many things at once it gets confused.

Nav is a nice feature but not a necessary feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddavis View Post
Every one of the initial ST2s I saw had the nav (along with the moonroof), though they're both optional, and unrelated as far as packages go. Moonroof is a standalone option; the nav is bundled with stereo/MFT upgrades.

Why do you say this is the last car in which you'll have nav?

I've tried driving using my smartphone as nav, and I'd much rather have a big screen mounted in the dash. Much as I like Google Maps, it's not a replacement. At the least, you need a spot to mount the smartphone / dedicated GPS on the dash where you can see it, it won't slide around. Hands-free operation is a bonus.

Also, I like a dedicated nav system for having a local copy of maps. Google eventually let you pre-download information about places you intended to go, but the smartphone is pretty crippled without an active, quality, data connection. That's not always available, and you don't want nav to depend on it. The flip side is having a decent -- and inexpensive -- way to update that local cache.

The SD card heads in the right idea. Now the car just needs to hop on the WiFi and download free updates while I'm asleep :)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
I see what you mean. I'd certainly agree nav is nice, but not necessary. This will be my first car with one built in, though I've driven a number of rentals with add-on units.

I also like planning the trip in the advance, which is why the Google/Mapquest download to the car nav seems like an interesting feature. I'd always wind up with a page (or two, or several) of directions, which itself is a problem to refer to, especially at night.

I like having the distance to the next interesting event -- kick back for half an hour, or it that next turn coming up in three minutes? Navs I've had in rentals can be more or less good about this; sometimes they have too many trigger points for every road that merges with the freeway.

But I should stop hijacking the advice thread; we can take up nav debates in the tech forum.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Mav3rick21
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 66685
What I Drive: 2000 Red Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Mav3rick21 Good Standing Member
I'm planning to buy a Focus ST as well.. I already decided to go for the ST3 option.. and im planning to give a down payment of 20%.. Also I know I have a good credit but I don't understand how dealers proceed to finance the 80% left. Do I have to talk to a bank? they do it automatically? What is the process? I don't want to go to the dealer and know nothing. Thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #15
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav3rick21 View Post
I'm planning to buy a Focus ST as well.. I already decided to go for the ST3 option.. and im planning to give a down payment of 20%.. Also I know I have a good credit but I don't understand how dealers proceed to finance the 80% left. Do I have to talk to a bank? they do it automatically? What is the process? I don't want to go to the dealer and know nothing. Thanks
Check with your bank and their rates. Often, you're get a better rate and be better prepared to sit down with the dealer. The dealer also arranges financing through banks.

Bookmarks & Social Networks