DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 162 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #1611
Cult Hero
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103788
What I Drive: Chevrolet Corsa

FF Reputation: 1 Cult Hero Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
NO, the clutch is not covered. Doesn’t make any difference what variety of factors or which ESP plan I have.
Can't belive my eyes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #1612
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Hero View Post
Can't belive my eyes
I can't say the clutch not being covered is something that really surprises me, it just irritates me.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #1613
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Rude. Especially considering this car shifts by itself and it's not something that we can control.

EDIT: Okay, I should rephrase that. Yes, clutches are going to wear. But if fails because of a leaking seal within the extended warranty but outside of the powertrain warranty, I think it should be covered.
Hopefully, if that were the case you would be right. But one would have to get to that point to find out.

The indication I got was that it would be considered a clutch like a clutch in a manual transmission. I asked specifically since it is a different kind of a transmission would it be considered an internal part. The answer was no.

So sense of security with and ESP where the clutch is concerned.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #1614
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Ok, with all the talk of clutches getting replaced starting to be concerned that maybe my clutches may need to be replaced before they are actually worn out and after the warranty expires, I checked in to purchasing the FORD Extended Service Plan.
Went here http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...ESPWizardStep1 and looked. Cannot find where the clutch or clutches are covered under any ESP.
Sent Ford Customer Service a PM asking the specific question, “Will the clutch assembly in my Automatic Transmission 2012 Focus be covered by a Ford ESP.”
Got back this reply “It depends on a variety of factors, including which ESP you currently have. You can give the ESP department a call at 877-794-6434 and they'll fill you in on the details. Also, your dealership will be able to provide specifics if you'd prefer to reach out to them”
I called the ESP department (to get filled in on the details) and was told point blank, in no uncertain terms, NO, the clutch is not covered. Doesn’t make any difference what variety of factors or which ESP plan I have.
I tend to keep cars a long time. My last one was 10 years and the one before for 8 years. So, guess I need to be optimistic and start saving up for an out of pocket clutch replacement just in case. It is bound to be cheaper that what it would cost to get rid of the car now.
Quote:
Rude. Especially considering this car shifts by itself and it's not something that we can control.

EDIT: Okay, I should rephrase that. Yes, clutches are going to wear. But if fails because of a leaking seal within the extended warranty but outside of the powertrain warranty, I think it should be covered.
Quote:
I can't say the clutch not being covered is something that really surprises me, it just irritates me.
Quote:
Hopefully, if that were the case you would be right. But one would have to get to that point to find out.

The indication I got was that it would be considered a clutch like a clutch in a manual transmission. I asked specifically since it is a different kind of a transmission would it be considered an internal part. The answer was no.

So sense of security with and ESP where the clutch is concerned.
So why bother having the service contract if you're worried about the automatic transmission and clutch pack? When I asked either Zeigler or one of the other ESP places they claimed that it would be covered. If its not covered because its a "wear" item then why bother to have the extended coverage at all as they won't cover it despite the fact that the car decides when to apply the clutch and change gear not the driver.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #1615
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
If its not covered because its a "wear" item then why bother to have the extended coverage at all as they won't cover it despite the fact that the car decides when to apply the clutch and change gear not the driver.
Right! It wouldn't make sense to have the ESP for the clutch pack, just the other internals... The amount of wear will differ depending on highway vs city miles, but I think we can all agree that 36k miles of mostly highway driving (my mileage) is too soon for clutch slippage. Now I just need to show/convince the dealer that my clutch is slipping...
Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #1616
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Right! It wouldn't make sense to have the ESP for the clutch pack, just the other internals... The amount of wear will differ depending on highway vs city miles, but I think we can all agree that 36k miles of mostly highway driving (my mileage) is too soon for clutch slippage. Now I just need to show/convince the dealer that my clutch is slipping...
A torque converter is covered, but not the Dual clutch pack assembly, so what gives though?

Considering that if its actually an automatic transmission the clutch pack is not subject to the same level of abuse as a single clutch sliding gear manual as the operator can't cause the clutch to slip on demand by a dip of the clutch pedal.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #1617
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
Quote:
A torque converter is covered, but not the Dual clutch pack assembly, so what gives though?
Excellent question, it jusy doesn't add up. To consider that component a wear item like a clutch in a manual transmissio is absurd.
Part of me wonders if the ESP department repesentative that jdetzel spoke with was fully aware of the type of transmission being discussed. Too may times I've dealt with representatives that were unaware of their own products. It certainly happens a lot at the dealer level. Heck, they are often not even in the loop.
Hatch Nation #174
Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #1618
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
As far as I know, a torque converter isn't a wear item so it's easy to include it in an extended warranty! Clutches wear, but since this is a dual-clutch, I'd expect it to last twice as long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
Part of me wonders if the ESP department repesentative that jdetzel spoke with was fully aware of the type of transmission being discussed.
I was wondering the same thing. But then again, if it were hypothetically covered, I'm sure someone will get turned down because of dealer representative ignorance at some point as well. *sigh*
Old 10-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #1619
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:

It's interesting that Ford says some noises are normal, and yet Ford refuses to cover this DCT design. Noting both factors, are those noises really normal, is Ford telling the truth, and why won't Ford stand behind its product by being pinpoint-precise about not covering the powertrain?

Something might be amiss, but I tend to read into things well beyond just reasoning as well... (or, in English, I'm paranoid...)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #1620
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
As far as I know, a torque converter isn't a wear item so it's easy to include it in an extended warranty! Clutches wear, but since this is a dual-clutch, I'd expect it to last twice as long!

I was wondering the same thing. But then again, if it were hypothetically covered, I'm sure someone will get turned down because of dealer representative ignorance at some point as well. *sigh*
Or there are twice as many clutches to wear out...

Bookmarks & Social Networks