Select Shift "Sport Start" - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Technically, it does not have "launch control".

1) Try putting the accel to the floor in N or D.
2) With your foot firmly on the brake, of course the clutches will be disengaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
A secret hand shake and a bit of fun for the engineers to sneak that past the bean counters to take advantage of the dual clutch transmission is unlikely? Considering it seems to set the car up for a quicker launch than just matting the accelerator pedal it seems more likely that it is a form of launch control rather than just a self preservation mechanism. After all if you matted both the gas and the brake while driving its supposed to cut off the throttle via brake override.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCornell View Post
Go ahead and try it
Oh I know it works...but launch control it ain't...and because it's not a part of the ECM programming, it's def shorting clutch life by a good amount. How much? not enough to stop you from using it as "launch control"....what you guys really need is the ST!

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
Oh I know it works...but launch control it ain't...and because it's not a part of the ECM programming, it's def shorting clutch life by a good amount. How much? not enough to stop you from using it as "launch control"....what you guys really need is the ST!
I wouldn't do it all the time anyway. I'm not even sure if I'd done it even once yet, but it was just an amusing theory, Technically the original Nissan GT-R had a launch control system that not only was eating clutches it was destroying the gearboxes, the Ferrari F430's launch control also abused the hell out of the clutch of the sequential single clutch automated manual gearbox, etc.

It does seem like its at least emulating the function of launch control, even if it was a "glitch" in the programming per say.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #24
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
The first year of the B8 S4 didn't have launch control.

The 2011 model introduced it the same way we engage ours. No buttons, no car dynamics programming, just brake, accelerator, build up revs and go.

In fact this is how MOST cars do it. Those requiring buttons also engage other engine and transmission and maybe even suspension settings for a "sport" mode.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #25
blasman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102236
What I Drive: 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 blasman Good Standing Member
It's BOA...

I believe the "launch control" feature is really just the BOA, which I believe is mentioned in the manual somewhere. Brake Over Accelerator, so that if you accelerator pedal gets stuck, if you push on the brake, the car doesn't listen to the gas pedal position anymore and limits the revs. I seem to remember reading some troubleshooting document on motorcraftservice for people complaining about lack of acceleration can be caused by someone resting their foot on the brake...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #26
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasman View Post
I believe the "launch control" feature is really just the BOA, which I believe is mentioned in the manual somewhere. Brake Over Accelerator, so that if you accelerator pedal gets stuck, if you push on the brake, the car doesn't listen to the gas pedal position anymore and limits the revs. I seem to remember reading some troubleshooting document on motorcraftservice for people complaining about lack of acceleration can be caused by someone resting their foot on the brake...
Then the revs would stay UNDER 1k if this was BOA...

That doesn't explain why our cars hold at 2700rpm when you do this.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #27
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasman View Post
The brake override is supposed to cut the throttle entirely, so that doesn't seem right.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
The brake override is supposed to cut the throttle entirely, so that doesn't seem right.
Maybe it's also dependent on speed or if the car is in gear?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #29
blasman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102236
What I Drive: 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 blasman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Maybe it's also dependent on speed or if the car is in gear?
Well, on my way home from work I was driving at a nice constant 40MPH. I then pushed on the brake. At first the car started to slow and I could feel the engine trying to fight it. After some more pressure on the brake, DCT clutch disengaged. I gave it more gas and the RPM's held at about 3500-3600. It never dropped to idle... I did this a couple of times to confirm, I'm not in the mood to abuse my car too much, this is the first time I tried it. Now back to my lazy driving style. I'm enjoying the hand calculated 40.1 MPG the past 2 tanks...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #30
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Then the revs would stay UNDER 1k if this was BOA...
Quote:

Where is the BOA strategy for the Focus documented?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->