2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released. - Page 28 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #271
troy-knfilters
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85424
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Taurus SE (FFV) Vulcan

FF Reputation: 1 troy-knfilters Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarson View Post
Troy,
Thank you very much for the quick and concise response. I totally understand that once the application is submitted you relinquish all control to the "hippy board", and just await their approval or denial. I am very happy that the process has been started.

I know on my old ZX3 had three K&N CAI choices with only one the three having a CARB sticker. So I don't know if you'll be able to answer this or not, but are more CAI designs for the MK3 focus in the works? And if I bought the current CAI system, and a CARB sticker became available at a later date, would K&N ship me the CARB sticker? Thanks in advance.
As far as I know the 00-04 (1st Gen), 05-07 (2nd Gen) and 08-11 (3rd Gen) Focus development is completed, there are no plans to release any further product.

As always if we get C.A.R.B. approval on any of our kits after you have purchased it you can call in at 1-800-858-3333 and speak with customer service, they will be happy to send you a C.A.R.B. sticker free of charge. Keep in mind that we require a copy of your registration and proof of purchase to do that, this is a requirement by C.A.R.B.

Troy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #272
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
I finally installed the K&N CAI I bought some weeks ago and here are my impressions:

- if you install it as it came in the box, it is soo loud (WOT or not) that I can't bear (42 y.o. here).
- if you do the two mods that TboneZX3 has done (see here), the CAI becomes acceptable, there is almost no resonance and we can say the sound is not that of a factor if not at WOT. In fact, at 50% of throtle, the car is doing just fine.
- the car sometimes sounds great under light throtle (a little different in growl) but sometimes, at the same throtle, there is a different sound.

I'll try and post some videos with it on traffic. I am still undecided about it. It IS LOUD when at WOT and this is something I have to deal with it. I give it another 3-4 days of test and if I decide not to keep it, it will be on the site for sale.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.

Last edited by VOLDAR; 10-02-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #273
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
- if you do the two mods that TboneZX3 has done (see here), the CAI becomes acceptable, there is almost no resonance and we can say the sound is not that of a factor if not at WOT. In fact, at 50% of throtle, the car is doing just fine.
I'm glad that worked out for you VOLDAR.

It's amazing how much different (quieter) the sound is when the MAF housing is properly suspended from the heat shield. I didn't mention this benefit when I originally did the mods, but the benefit is real. Just that little bit of contact that the housing has with the shield it has out of the box makes a world of difference.

It is a shame that K&N has done nothing to fix that issue, or at least they haven't contacted me about any design changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
- the car sometimes sounds great under light throtle (a little different in growl) but sometimes, at the same throtle, there is a different sound.

I'll try and post some videos with it on traffic. I am still undecided about it. It IS LOUD when at WOT and this is something I have to deal with it. I give it another 3-4 days of test and if I decide not to keep it, it will be on the site for sale.
The difference in sound at a given throttle position seems directly related to engine load. If you load it up at 2K - 3K rpm, it will "moan" a bit, especially when loaded with A/C on. Give it a while and your driving habits will change slightly, and you'll be able to avoid the moan. If you're anything like me, you'll become really attached to the "wail" from 3.5K RPM to redline @ WOT!
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #274
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Ok, here is the thing. I think the K&N CAI is a good one, but I decided to get it off. Is it maybe because I am too old for the sound - which is great - or because I drove the car without listening to the radio ? I can't say. But even though it is great to feel its "wrommmm" at take off, I decided to let it be for now. If someone is interested, I'll sell it to him for a fraction of what it cost me. Because I am in Canada, it cost me a total of 350$. I am glad to sell it for 175-200 $, but you have to pay for the shippement if you want it in US. I had it in my car for a week and a total of 300 km.
---replaced by---
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #275
Ralliart
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95546
What I Drive: 2012 black titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Ralliart Good Standing Member
Where in Canada? I'm Kitchener/Waterloo. Considering this but slightly concerned that you've taken it off
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #276
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart View Post
Where in Canada? I'm Kitchener/Waterloo. Considering this but slightly concerned that you've taken it off

IMO, this would be the one to buy since he's already made the improvements for you.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #277
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Quote:
I am in Montréal. I took it off more because I find it a bit too loud for my liking - 42 yo here. For the rest, it is a great CAI.
---replaced by---
Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #278
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58905
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SE Sports Pack Hatch

FF Reputation: 7 BLarson Good Standing Member
Quote:
I wouldn't be concerned. Plenty of people have it and love it. A few have not liked how loud it is. But others love it. He only took it off because of the increased noise. 175+shipping is a good deal. Esp. Since your within Canada.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #279
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you're that concerned, don't buy it... I got mine at a crazy deal for the same reason and I'm happy with it. But it's better to not buy it and find something you're sure about than buy it and have buyers remorse later.
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #280
Focus2.0SEL
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108984
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Focus2.0SEL Good Standing Member
does anyone have any clips/videos on what this actually sounds like? I'm debating on this intake or the AEM 21-702C

Bookmarks & Social Networks