2012 Focus SE Hatchback Sport - Changing stock speakers - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #31
AzulDulceFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94680
What I Drive: 2013 Tux Blk Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 2 AzulDulceFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusstu View Post
Thanks for the info. Are they louder or less loud than your factory speakers at the same volume setting?
They are definitely louder with muvh better audio quality. These are really good quality speakers for a decent price. The sound is also much more crisp and clean with much better reproduction of audio tones than the factory speakers. The stock speakers lacked highs and lows, and these Infinity's will definitely give them to you even without a subwoofer. I don't know about the 6032si, but the 6502ix also contain a small pushbutton in the center of the speaker that enhances the treble even more when depressed on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #32
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulDulceFocus View Post
Swapping out the stock receiver in the Focus would only open a who new can of worms and cause problems as everything in the car is tied to that receiver including Sync, and all the steering wheel audio controls.
Most of this is not entirely true, as long as you don't have the Sony MFT stereo.

Metra offers a dash kit for installing a new stereo and a harness assembly and an interface for the steering wheel controls.

They also offer a SYNC retention harness, but you would want a head unit with a rear AUXILIARY input and you would need to use the OEM USB port in the glove box and the new HU would be set to AUX and probably wouldn't show artist and title info. You couldn't use SYNC to change channels, but I don't think you can now either, and I don't think you could use SYNC to change volume.

Also, you would lose Sirius (I think) unless you also added an aftermarket Sirius or XM tuner.

I think the kit and harness would be over $250, so it won't be cheap, but it is possible.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #33
Fringe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95955
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5DR Sport 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Fringe Good Standing Member
I just had a local shop install Memphis 6.5" components in the front doors. PRS6v2 and 6.5" 3-way PRS6V2 in the back. Wasn't really a preference or reason. They only had these and the Alpine SPR-60c's in and I wanted something with a closer match to the little ktp-445u amp's 45x4 rms rating. The Memphis are rated 50w and the Alpines are 110w. A bit overpowered in the sub department with a Kicker Solo Classic 12" in a sealed box powered by a RF Prime 500-1. The system sounds so much better than stock (shocker i know) even with the sub turned off.... I may go with an aftermarket head unit eventually and dash kit. Depends on how well rthese work out:
http://maestro.idatalink.com/product...product_id/101

Installed cut the speakers from the stock mounting ring and screwed the new ones into place. Tweeters mounted in stock locations easily. I can actually stand to listen to my stereo now without cringing..... sad considering my last car was a 2006 Fusion with OEM system and i was happy with it 95% of the time.

On a side note.... had the car at the dealer this morning. The headling started rattling a month ago. Broken clips. They ordered a new one.

Cheers all
Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #34
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulDulceFocus View Post
UPDATE: I ended up getting Infinity 6502ix speakers instead of those Pioneer's I mentioned.
The great thing about those 6502ix is they're high-sensitivity speakers, designed for factory speaker replacement. They are more efficient with low-powered factory amps than most aftermarket speakers (3Ohm, 93dB@1m).
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #35
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
MP3's always sound like junk on anything better than earbuds. Using an MP3 audio source to judge sound quality is like using a 30 year old 8 track tape. File compression In MP3's reduce dynamic range and the low end is non existent. It always cracks me up when people buy a song for 99 cents and it is an mp3/FLAC format. In reality it was worth about 10 cents.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #36
Fringe
Focus Enthusiast

I agree on the mp3 mess. I ripped files in WMA lossless format and put on my 32GB drive. Granted you can't put your whole collection on there if you have an extensive library but I'd rather swap out a thumb drive than listen to crap. No offense to people who can listen to mp3's less than 320k, I envy ya.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #37
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringe View Post
Granted you can't put your whole collection on there if you have an extensive library
Oh well. SYNC can't index more than about 10,000 fully-tagged songs anyway. I'm running a 300Gb 2.5" HD in mine, and can't utilize more than 1/3 of it due to this limitation.

I'm with you guys on mp3 and other lossy compression. I use FLAC at home, but I've decided that 320K VBR mp3s are sufficient for the car, esp. with the crummy stock (non-Sony) speakers. If your mp3s sound bad, just switch over and listen to SIRIUS for a while. When you switch back to your mp3s, you won't believe your ears.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #38
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
That's what I love about having a USB port in this car. The same song sounds 5 times better in my SEL that has 6 speakers than an MP3 version played in a friend's Ti with the 10 speaker Sony system. It's not always the speakers that are a problem, it is the source audio. But in the age of earbuds, a lot of people just don't understand what makes good audio sound good.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #39
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsterg View Post
but in the age of earbuds, a lot of people just don't understand what makes good audio sound good.
amen.
Hatch Nation #90
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #40
Fringe
Focus Enthusiast

If your mp3s sound bad, just switch over and listen to SIRIUS for a while. When you switch back to your mp3s, you won't believe your ears.

I lol'd on that one ! That's the truth for sure. I have people that think I'm nuts because I won't subscribe to Sirius. It sounds so awful :(

I'm pretty happy with my car stereo now tho and actually surprised the Memphis Power Refs sound as good as they do. The gain on the little Alpine amp isn't even turned up but to 1/3 due to some alternator whine that has to be tracked down. I'm not all that worried about it since it sounds so much bette than before.

Bookmarks & Social Networks