2012 Ford Focus Reliability Issues - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #51
RedfocusTL21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94715
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, SE

Points 37, Level 1
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 RedfocusTL21 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just got mine back from the dealer and so far so good I plan on taking it out for a long test drive tonight just to make sure everything is up to par.

Sent from my EVO using FF Mobile
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #52
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104381
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

Points 1,924, Level 26
Points: 1,924, Level: 26 Points: 1,924, Level: 26 Points: 1,924, Level: 26
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Thanks everyone for their comments and feedback!

I'm sorry to hear that the topic got a bit heated there and almost off-topic.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #53
Darketernal3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98631
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Points 484, Level 9
Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Darketernal3 Good Standing Member
I work at Ford and sadly, because I do I have a bit more dim view of them, mainly because management has their heads stuck up where the sun don't shine and have no clue what's going on... they only complain and expect numbers.
With that said, I love my Focus.
Though I can't say the same for any other owners, the focus I have has no major issues, the DCT needs to be broken in; and I wish I got a manual. The headlights were lack-luster (I replaced them twice, first with HID, then with phillips crystal visions); sound system is decent, but could use more boost.
But notice, these are nit-picks, of course every car could be better.
Oh, and I kinda wished I waited out for a ST :/
Go get yourself an ST.
SE Sports Package
Two toned sports interior Stone/Black
Old 10-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #54
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104381
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

Points 1,924, Level 26
Points: 1,924, Level: 26 Points: 1,924, Level: 26 Points: 1,924, Level: 26
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darketernal3 View Post
I work at Ford and sadly, because I do I have a bit more dim view of them, mainly because management has their heads stuck up where the sun don't shine and have no clue what's going on... they only complain and expect numbers.
Though I can't say the same for any other owners, the focus I have has no major issues, the DCT needs to be broken in; and I wish I got a manual. The headlights were lack-luster (I replaced them twice, first with HID, then with phillips crystal visions); sound system is decent, but could use more boost.
Go get yourself an ST.
LOL no, I won't be getting an ST unfortunately, although it looks very sexy. I just need a practical car so I settled on the 2012 SEL trim.

Thanks for your response!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #55
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darketernal3 View Post
That's modern day business in general. Detached and out of touch with (many aspects of) reality.

Quote:
Go get yourself an ST.
The DCT can be quirky (mostly "the noise") but I've grown to love it more than any other transmission I've used in the past. It's smoother between gears, noise or no noise.

I love mine.

And since I can't drive a manual, the ST is out of the question...

Part of me wishes I bought the 2009 Focus with traction control and ABS, as I wouldn't have then upgraded in 2012, but everything else about the 2012 (aside from the chassis design; I loved the 2009 design) has been a massive improvement, so I have no major regrets. And I like the 2012's design as well... the 2009's looked more angular and the custom wheels (the diamond-shaped aluminum ones) were *nice*...
Old 10-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #56
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
I love my DCT, especially when it lags for a second or two before the engine red lines and I shoot out into traffic at light speed. Fortunately the car has really good brakes so I can just jam on those real quick before I crash into somebody. There's nothing like jamming on the brakes real hard when you've just had a big meal or have to pee really bad.

The best part of the DCT though is how it's efficiency increases with ambient air temperature. The hotter it gets the more reluctant it is to downshift which causes the engine to stall at stoplights after leaving the freeway and that saves me fuel! As they say, an engine not running burns no gas...or something like that. At least it has push button start so restarting the engine is as easy as punching the dashboard.

I love my DCT, yeah, just love it.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #57
SportyChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104205
What I Drive: 2012 FocusTitanium Hatchback - sold

FF Reputation: 1 SportyChick Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
At least it has push button start so restarting the engine is as easy as punching the dashboard.
Not trying to make light of your situation but that was freaking funny!

I get the hesitation/shudder on mine when it goes from 1st to 2nd. I'm hoping that this eventually works itself out as I just got the update last week.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #58
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86578
What I Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 xwhit3devilx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
For all I've complained in the past I see this vehicle holding up pretty well with time.The Duratec engine (TiVct is a modified 2.0 from last gen Foci/Mazda 3's) is fairly well proven having been around for a while now and shouldn't give you any major problems- provided you change your oil regularly of course. The only thing to consider long term would be the cost to replace the clutches in the DCT after the warranty is up, since it is very much like a manual it will have to be done eventually. Ford parts tend to be fairly inexpensive so if you want to keep it going for 10+ years you should be able to without too much expense.

My only gripe is the fact that since there are so many rental Foci out there, this might become a "beater" for reckless high school/college kids in a few years.

For the record I'm in college, but I drive like a sane person and have never been pulled over. Also, I paid for half of it so I don't want to hear it from people that I'm some kind of huge jerk.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #59
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
I drive a titanium sedan and the only problem I've had with it is mft. It's simply the most poorly programmed electronic product I've ever used. Period. One day its fine, the next nothing works and the scary part is there is no warning and despite what they may tell you Ford has no fix. I don't think they ever will. If they tell you they do they are lying to your face. If they tell you to take it to your dealer, its usually code for i can't help you and you're about to waste your time. If they tell you to wait until the next release of the software that's code for go away now. Don't think you're immune, mft WILL fail you one way or another. Its a great shame because other then that its a wonderful car.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #60
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyChick View Post
Not trying to make light of your situation but that was freaking funny!

I get the hesitation/shudder on mine when it goes from 1st to 2nd. I'm hoping that this eventually works itself out as I just got the update last week.
That's how my DCT acted for the first 7400 miles. It has 10.5k on the clock now and has been working pretty well, I hope it stays that way.

The car had 3800 miles on it when TSB 12B37 was applied so it's had to retrain twice.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.