2012 Ford Focus Reliability Issues - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #41
DayGlow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102589
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 DayGlow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-lou View Post
After belonging to this forum for a couple of months I cannot believe a car company and its loyal followers has such low standards....I came here first looking for help and this is what I received....you should have known that buying a first model year car there would be bugs and issues and it was my fault for not doing my research......quit whining and crying about it sell it or deal with the problems......it just needs to be broken in after 10000 miles......we know the mytouch has issues but an update is coming out in janurary......came out in march but fixed nothing.....you are just not driving it right.......we cannot fix it if we cannot duplicate the problem even though we had videos and pictures of everything and the list just goes on and on....B-lou
Maybe you just have to accept that the majority on the forum don't have issues with their car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #42
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
After belonging to this forum for a couple of months I cannot believe a car company and its loyal followers has such low standards....I came here first looking for help and this is what I received....you should have known that buying a first model year car there would be bugs and issues and it was my fault for not doing my research......quit whining and crying about it sell it or deal with the problems......it just needs to be broken in after 10000 miles......we know the mytouch has issues but an update is coming out in janurary......came out in march but fixed nothing.....you are just not driving it right.......we cannot fix it if we cannot duplicate the problem even though we had videos and pictures of everything and the list just goes on and on....B-lou
Please, I implore you, seek help from a mental health professional.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #43
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Once again people can put me down like this but I cannot respond because I will get banned...pretty one-sided and unfair.....B-lou
Start behaving like a mature adult and not an ignorant troll and you won't get banned. It's a fairly simple concept to grasp.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #44
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Now I am called an Ignorant troll....I think that breaks the website rules of name calling and yes that is a fairly simple concept to grasp but you dont seem to get it....B-lou
I think what he was trying to get at initially is that the response everyone gave you for your issues with your car is the same response we give EVERYONE who had issues with their car. Some people had legitimate, BAD problems that escalated far beyond the basics, but that's the same with any car, you'll see that anywhere. Lemons happen, that's why we have laws pertaining to them.

Some things like MFT cannot be helped by us, that's all up to Ford, so we just have to be patient and hopeful. Some things like the DCT are by their nature going to be different than standard torque converters and initially a lot of members didn't realize that and criticized it without that knowledge. That said, there have been issues, and Ford has for the most part (with a glaring exception to MFT) addressed them with various TSBs and some recalls such as the wiper motor.

So, no one is trying to berate you, insult you, or otherwise make fun of you or your car and it's issues. We're just giving you the same advice/information we give everyone.

Like stated, the 2012 was a brand new car, the only thing it shares with it predecessors is the name (and apparently manual HVAC control knobs), other than that it's brand new and any brand new item, car or otherwise will not be without it's flaws. No amount of in-house testing can compare to real-world customer based feedback.

Hopefully this was a gentle enough answer for you.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #45
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Did some searching on the complains site lifocus posted.

2010 (first year of new model) Mazda 3 - 97
2010 (first year of new model) Honda Civic - 102
2008 (first year of new model) Toyota Corolla - 170
2011 (revised but not new generation) Corolla - 81
2012 (first year of new model) Ford Focus - 177

I will say, it's sad to see the Focus has more than any other listed, but to it's defense, a LOT of those complaints had to do with the DCT, and none of those others employ a DCT/DSG transmission. I'm not trying to justify the fact that it has more complaints, but when I look at a Corolla with 170 and the car is as traditional and barebones as it gets... suddenly my brand new tech-laden Focus seems much better off, if in 3 years our Focus model still has 80+ complaints like Corolla, I'll jump on the bandwagon that Ford needs to get their act together, till then, so far with the exception of MFT they've done right by me.

Guess the point of this post is that yeah, the Focus got some stuff wrong it's first year, Ford is working on it, but people who assume the Focus is so much worse than other first year models can now respectfully shove it, they all have issues.

Quote:
No one is trying to berate insult or make fun of me...you have got to be kidding...that ship sailed long ago....hope that answer is gental enough for you also.....B-lou
You just posted about another member calling you names this morning, explain how that ship sailed long ago? I have thick enough skin to handle some heat from keyboard commandos on a forum, I don't need gentle answers.

My point was this, no one treated you any differently than they treated anyone else. We are not Ford, we are not affiliates of Ford (some of us work for Ford but we're not here on their dollar), we only know the information research can find for us, so we told you what we learned ourselves. The do your research part was key in your post, that's what we tell everyone because no one does, they think they're entitled to answers without getting their hands dirty and leave the burden to those who do take the initiative. Glad you posted this here though instead of starting a new post for issues that have been well documented like so many others who don't do their research do.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #46
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post

I will say, it's sad to see the Focus has more than any other listed, but to it's defense, a LOT of those complaints had to do with the DCT, and none of those others employ a DCT/DSG transmission. I'm not trying to justify the fact that it has more complaints, but when I look at a Corolla with 170 and the car is as traditional and barebones as it gets... suddenly my brand new tech-laden Focus seems much better off, if in 3 years our Focus model still has 80+ complaints like Corolla, I'll jump on the bandwagon that Ford needs to get their act together, till then, so far with the exception of MFT they've done right by me.

Guess the point of this post is that yeah, the Focus got some stuff wrong it's first year, Ford is working on it, but people who assume the Focus is so much worse than other first year models can now respectfully shove it, they all have issues.

You just posted about another member calling you names this morning, explain how that ship sailed long ago? I have thick enough skin to handle some heat from keyboard commandos on a forum, I don't need gentle answers.

My point was this, no one treated you any differently than they treated anyone else. We are not Ford, we are not affiliates of Ford (some of us work for Ford but we're not here on their dollar), we only know the information research can find for us, so we told you what we learned ourselves. The do your research part was key in your post, that's what we tell everyone because no one does, they think they're entitled to answers without getting their hands dirty and leave the burden to those who do take the initiative. Glad you posted this here though instead of starting a new post for issues that have been well documented like so many others who don't do their research do.
The other thing about the number of complaints is how big are the sites and how many cars are sold, there are a lot more corollas and foci, so it is not surprising that they have more complaints.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #47
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Not every one is going to have the best experience with their car. Some will have a perfect experience, others will not. Mine has been great and I dont feel the least disheartened because some one doesn't like their car.

Not that said there is a constant in forum knowledge and use.

:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #48
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
The other thing about the number of complaints is how big are the sites and how many cars are sold, there are a lot more corollas and foci, so it is not surprising that they have more complaints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post

I will say, it's sad to see the Focus has more than any other listed, but to it's defense, a LOT of those complaints had to do with the DCT, and none of those others employ a DCT/DSG transmission.
I posted this quick analysis of mine a few weeks ago. Powertrain complaints to NHTSA per 1,000 vehicles sold. All numbers are for the life of the current gen model.

Elantra: 8 / 351,855 * 1000 = 0.02
Veloster: 3 / 34,602 * 1000 = 0.09
Cruze: 39 / 411,041 * 1000 = 0.09
Focus: 56 / 322,774 * 1000 = 0.17

Sadly the Focus has about twice the rate of complaints on the powertrain, almost all about the DCT. I looked through the actual complaints and only a few had to do with hill rollback, etc. Most mentioned a jerking, shuddering, or some other highly unusual and abnormal characteristic. And remember the Veloster also has a DCT.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #49
bryantest
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72040
What I Drive: Focus 5 door (used to drive)

FF Reputation: 4 bryantest Good Standing Member
When you think about it...

maybe this is why the Japanese carmakers decided to shift to CVTs instead of dual clutch trannies for their mainstream cars.

Just sayin
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #50
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
I have had my 12 SEL for 6 months and have close to 35K miles already. Car has not needed any warranty work so far. Everything works as advertised. The only things I have done are oil changes and tire rotations and this car has the DCT which has given me zero issues.

Bookmarks & Social Networks