Hatchback door rattling - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hatchback door rattling

2012 focus hatchback with the 10 speaker sony system. Anyone notice the door panels rattling when listening to music?

For me, my rear left door panel (behind drivers) starts to rattle when the volume is pushed to close to 1/4 (going to the first big tick mark on the MFT screen). If i sit in the back and push the panel by the rear tweeter the rattling goes away. Again this only happens when music is playing that has some bass to it.

Anyone know a solution to this? ford dealer claims they can't replicate the problem and won't let me show them, but its annoying when your driving. Should I look at removing the door panel?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
cheekedave
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103448
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Silver

FF Reputation: 1 cheekedave Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nseah View Post
2012 focus hatchback with the 10 speaker sony system. Anyone notice the door panels rattling when listening to music?

For me, my rear left door panel (behind drivers) starts to rattle when the volume is pushed to close to 1/4 (going to the first big tick mark on the MFT screen). If i sit in the back and push the panel by the rear tweeter the rattling goes away. Again this only happens when music is playing that has some bass to it.

Anyone know a solution to this? ford dealer claims they can't replicate the problem and won't let me show them, but its annoying when your driving. Should I look at removing the door panel?
I have the exact same problem. Same door panel. I was about to yank it out this weekend and possibly throw some dynamat in or something temp. to see if it goes away. None of the other doors seem to rattle for me. I have an appointment at the dealer this weekend and I was going to bring it up to them to see what they say/do. If all else fails, thats when I will yank it open myself. I will let you know how it turns out!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Drew'sFoci
Focus Addict

Fan#: 103950
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray hatch W/Blk pack

FF Reputation: 4 Drew'sFoci Good Standing Member
Quote:

I have a 13' with the Sony package and it also rattles, even with the radio off! With the radio on I found the source of that rattle is the license plate! But I still can't pinpoint the rattle with the radio off!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
TehMark
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 TehMark Good Standing Member
I lot of people have that rattle and it is pretty damn annoying. I took mine in once to fix it and it was gone for about 4 months. Came back again. Grrr. Someday I'll rip the door off myself and stick some dynamat in it.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekedave View Post
I have the exact same problem. Same door panel. I was about to yank it out this weekend and possibly throw some dynamat in or something temp. to see if it goes away. None of the other doors seem to rattle for me. I have an appointment at the dealer this weekend and I was going to bring it up to them to see what they say/do. If all else fails, thats when I will yank it open myself. I will let you know how it turns out!
That's how I feel about mine too. Getting to the point where I just want to rip it off! Let me know what your dealer says.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew'sFoci View Post
I have a 13' with the Sony package and it also rattles, even with the radio off! With the radio on I found the source of that rattle is the license plate! But I still can't pinpoint the rattle with the radio off!
I had rattling with the radio off as well, but it was at the dash where the MFT screen is. See if yours is coming from there as well. My solution was to stick strips of rubberbands between where the actual screen and the plastic border meet (theres a 1mm gap). I used a creditcard to jam the rubberbands in there and now it's stopped rattling.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Drew'sFoci
Focus Addict

Fan#: 103950
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray hatch W/Blk pack

FF Reputation: 4 Drew'sFoci Good Standing Member
Quote:
I had rattling with the radio off as well, but it was at the dash where the MFT screen is. See if yours is coming from there as well. My solution was to stick strips of rubberbands between where the actual screen and the plastic border meet (theres a 1mm gap). I used a creditcard to jam the rubberbands in there and now it's stopped rattling.
sounds good, ill have to give it a whirl tonight and see the results. I hope its that, when you had the rattle, did it kinda sound like it was coming from the head liner almost right above your head?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew'sFoci View Post
sounds good, ill have to give it a whirl tonight and see the results. I hope its that, when you had the rattle, did it kinda sound like it was coming from the head liner almost right above your head?
Oh no your rattling is coming from the liner they use on the head panel. I didn't have that issue but it's a pretty common one. Id recommend searching the forum for that topic because I have no idea what the fix is for that.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
SydneyRoo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86671
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 2 SydneyRoo Good Standing Member
Last year, I had a metallic rattling in the driver's door, only happened with a bit of bass.
Took it in to the Ford dealer for them to look at, they tightened some bolts on the door (ie, they did nothing), but the rattle was still there.

I took the door panel off myself (what a pain in the ass that was) and lo and behold there was a small metal mounting tab rattling against the speaker. It didn't appear to belong to anything so I removed it. Problem solved. Probably an isolated case though with spare parts rattling in the door.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyRoo View Post
Last year, I had a metallic rattling in the driver's door, only happened with a bit of bass.
Took it in to the Ford dealer for them to look at, they tightened some bolts on the door (ie, they did nothing), but the rattle was still there.

I took the door panel off myself (what a pain in the ass that was) and lo and behold there was a small metal mounting tab rattling against the speaker. It didn't appear to belong to anything so I removed it. Problem solved. Probably an isolated case though with spare parts rattling in the door.
You don't happen to have directions on removing the door panels do you? Ford doesn't really do anything for me, Im just going to do it myself.

Bookmarks & Social Networks