Oil temp sky high - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Davva
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41632
FF Reputation: 1 Davva Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Oil temp sky high

Ok, I have replaced the head gasket. I also did the serp belt, timing belt, water pump, tensioners and pulleys.

Everything seemed to be running Ok so I took it out on the road. After about 2 miles the oil temperature went sky high. The water temp was normal and the oil pressure was normal. There was water in the radiator and the oil level was good.

I've heard talk of an oil cooler so I'm thinking this may be blocked.

Is that a good theory? And if so, where is it and what can I do about it?

All advice greatly received.

Thanks

Davva

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Puke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79300
What I Drive: 94 Saleen Mustang, 03 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Puke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I had the same issue a few weeks ago, at least the symptoms sound similiar. What happens is I had a very mild leak in one of my heater hoses, very hard to find. Apparently the oil temp gage is more sensitive than the water temp gage as you may have air in the cooling system that will throw the water temp off while the oil temp gage is reading correctly. When my oil temp started to rise I would add water to the overflow tank and that would cause the water temp gage to read correctly (higher) and then both gages would slowly start to cool down. Do a google search with your symptoms and you will find several write ups on it. Hope this helps a bit.
Puke
Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Davva
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puke View Post
I had the same issue a few weeks ago, at least the symptoms sound similiar. What happens is I had a very mild leak in one of my heater hoses, very hard to find. Apparently the oil temp gage is more sensitive than the water temp gage as you may have air in the cooling system that will throw the water temp off while the oil temp gage is reading correctly. When my oil temp started to rise I would add water to the overflow tank and that would cause the water temp gage to read correctly (higher) and then both gages would slowly start to cool down. Do a google search with your symptoms and you will find several write ups on it. Hope this helps a bit.
Puke
Thanks for your input. I'm not sure I have the same problem. My water level seemed fine but the engine even felt very hot. It took about half an hour for the oil temp to get down to normal.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 17,859, Level 85
Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I'm inclined to side with Puke on this one, air in the cooling system.

Try pinching off the heater core bypass and warming the car up, this is the front bottom hose coming off the thermostat outlet housing.
What that does is force water through the heater core and oil cooler, which is were air likes to get trapped.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Puke
Focus Enthusiast

Might still have air in the cooling system which will make the water temp gage to read incorrectly. Did not make sense to me at first until I had a few beers and thought about it real hard. May or may not be your issue but I would check the coolant overflow level anyway. Also look, smell, and listen for a coolant leak. Either way good luck and keep us posted as I for one am curious.
Puke
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
Davva
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
I'm inclined to side with Puke on this one, air in the cooling system.

Try pinching off the heater core bypass and warming the car up, this is the front bottom hose coming off the thermostat outlet housing.
What that does is force water through the heater core and oil cooler, which is were air likes to get trapped.
This makes a lot of sense now I think about it. I will try it tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puke View Post
Might still have air in the cooling system which will make the water temp gage to read incorrectly. Did not make sense to me at first until I had a few beers and thought about it real hard. May or may not be your issue but I would check the coolant overflow level anyway. Also look, smell, and listen for a coolant leak. Either way good luck and keep us posted as I for one am curious.
Puke
I tried your method too. But the beer made my brain fuzzy
Where exactly is the oil cooler?
And I checked the water level. It was fine.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
SVTF 03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99859
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT EAP ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 SVTF 03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
When topping off the coolant, leave the cap off the coolant tank and start the car and turn the HVAC control to hot. Let the car get up to full temp (190 degrees stock IIRC). This will help to ensure the coolant is flowing in and out of the heater core and using all the passages. I just replaced my thermostat housing / thermostat and haven't had an issue.

The oil to water heat exchanger (sandwich adapter) is between the oil filter and the block. From what I've seen... this basic design started on the first generation Lightnings and quickly migrated to the other SVT's and Ford cars as well over the years. The water reaches temp before the oil does and helps to get the oil warmer faster and helps to keep it at a safe consistent temperature.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
Puke
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davva View Post
This makes a lot of sense now I think about it. I will try it tomorrow.

I tried your method too. But the beer made my brain fuzzy
Where exactly is the oil cooler?
And I checked the water level. It was fine.
Wrong kind of beer:)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
ItstheletterR
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100104
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 ItstheletterR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had almost the same problem not too long ago, but my water temp would fluctuate every once in a while along with spiking oil temps. I replaced the thermostat, problem solved. I figured it wasn't reading the water temp right. Now it circulates just fine. It gets hot after prolonged sitting in stop/go traffic still, but once the fan kicks on it takes care of it.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
Davva
Focus Enthusiast

OK, I have got the temperature problem fixed.

It was the thermostat. I had discounted the 'stat because:
a. it's fairly new and
b. the water temp was reading normal.

So I changed all the heater hoses and tried it again. When I ran the car the oil temp went high again so I switched it off and it was then that I noticed the pipe from the radiator to the thermostat housing was cold. So I removed the 'stat, checked it then threw it in the trash. New 'stat - problem solved.

The engine is running kinda ok now. It wont idle very well and I've got codes so it looks like the IMRC is going into therapy next weekend.

Thanks to all for their contributions.

Davva

Bookmarks & Social Networks