2012 Ford Focus Reliability Issues - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #31
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
You would have to change the transmission or stick below 180 lb-ft of torque as the DCT is only rated for about 250N-m of torque which is right around 180 lb-ft.
Its rated for 280Nm max , which converts to 206.5ft-lbs . And we know that Getrag and others always put very conservative numbers for safety (and warranty) reasons. I also think that the "weak" spot would be the clutch packs themselves, so, who knows, their could be aftermarket clutch packs available should the demand warrant.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #32
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,574, Level 65
Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
Its rated for 280Nm max , which converts to 206.5ft-lbs . And we know that Getrag and others always put very conservative numbers for safety (and warranty) reasons. I also think that the "weak" spot would be the clutch packs themselves, so, who knows, their could be aftermarket clutch packs available should the demand warrant.
That's the generic powershift transmission, but its more likely that Ford is only using the ones rated for closer to 250 N-m or 180 lb-ft of torque. Even so the clutches may or may not be the weak point.

240 Nm= 177 lb-ft, which is less than the 1.6 L EcoBoost makes, let alone the 2.0 L EcoBoost, hence why the Escape uses the lousy 6F35 vs the DCT250/DCPS transmission.

250 Nm= 184.4 lb-ft which is the nominal rating.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #33
Wildsailor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
I bought a very late model 2012 (August build, one of the last of the 2012's to come off the line) SE Sport Sedan and I am very pleased with it. Nothing wrong with it at all yet and I am approaching 2,000 miles. My fuel economy is increasing with every tankful and it is saving me money to own it. There are some quirks with the way the European features work, some hiccups in the way the DCT operates, and some unusual ways to how the features are split for the packages but it isn't a $30,000-$45,000 luxury sport sedan it is a cheap transportation car.

As far as nobody raving about the DCT, well, I sure adore it. Yes it hiccups once in a while but nothing any worse than if driving a manual trans. In fact it IS a manual trans that someone else is doing the shifting. It is getting me about 2 MPG better than the 5MT would have and you can still shift it if you want. I am just glad it isn't one of those 4-speed slush boxes that shift smoother but sap the power and turn the 'gas pedal' into nothing more than a way to make the 4 cylinder make more noise. The DCT is a wonderful addition and I am proud that it is different.

Most of the issues with shifting and lugging that you see posted here were early builds in the 2012 run. Also there appears to be an oil leak that causes clutch issues so that is something to watch out for.

It is great handling, quiet, and delivers super fuel economy so it is hard to get a car with these qualities for what I paid for my SE Sport...about $18,500. I read the comments about how the $25,000 Mazda 3 is 'more reliable' but does not drive as well and is louder, well, I suppose if someone wants to spend the extra money then go ahead but leave the Focus group and go to the Mazda one.

My family and friends are all interested in a 2012+ Focus now after they see what my little car is delivering on my daily commute in fuel usage. For the money it is a tough car to beat!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #34
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,216, Level 35
Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifocus View Post
Or just get a different car.......
I don't understand. Do you have nothing better to do with your time? We get it, you didn't like your Focus, why waste your time on a Focus-oriented forum? I'd get it if you were actually offering constructive criticism and valid arguments/points but all you're doing is trolling. Quite immature, you must have no life if this is all you can find to do with your time.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #35
bryantest
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72040
What I Drive: Focus 5 door (used to drive)

FF Reputation: 4 bryantest Good Standing Member
The ONLY thing I'm getting from the negative opinions/feedback from the 2012 Focus owners is this

This is WHY you should try to not buy the redesigned/all new version of a car in its FIRST model year
Old 10-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #36
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,149, Level 34
Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey guys!

I am, of course, thrilled to hear from those of you who are happy with your vehicles. Those of you who are having issues/concerns, I encourage you to reach out to me via PM (if you haven't already done so) so I can get your cases escalated to your regional Customer Service Managers. I'm happy to see how I can help each of you.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #37
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,835, Level 32
Points: 2,835, Level: 32 Points: 2,835, Level: 32 Points: 2,835, Level: 32
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenney View Post
to the op... i work at the plant and will give my hones assessment from assembly experience and experience from my SEL w 5k miles on it.
BAD:
1. The paint finish could use some improvement(orange peel on all colors due to new paint)...
2. MFT issues. I have had nothing major couple resets but nothing that has been too annoying.
3. early builds had some unique issues wheel bearing issues, DCT issues, steering rack issues
some complain of interior panel fit( i notice none of this on mine.
Good:
1. great gas milage(im getting 35MPG at 75MPH w air on with about 90% eway 10& city)
2. nice and quiet...both Engine and road noise
3. good power for a small car
4. sync recognizes about 95% of what I say and what it doesnt is mostly due to incorrect commands.
5. no DCT issues here
6. packed with features
in my honest opinion, this is a good car. there are a ton of features for the price. I am not at all concerned with reliability. thats what warranty is for. would i do it again... YES I would.
I agree with most of this. Later builds will be great. My 5/24/2011 build has had its issues (headliner replaced, MFT issues, DCT issues, etc.) But if you're looking for a solid 2013 vehicle? I say go for the Focus because it seems like all of the issues that I have had have been ironed out.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #38
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
I have an 4/11/2011 build car and, overall, it has been pretty decent. It has been back to the dealer 2 or 3 times, but I think that it's because it's a first-year car.

You should be fine with a 2013 - they really are pretty good cars...but, I would take a 3 SkyActiv for a drive also and then decide from there.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #39
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
I have the 2012 Titanium and all is 100%

Just a side note, Honda is recalling 600,000 Accords due to faulty power steering.
http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...-in-canada-u-s

So as you can see, even the mighty Honda has issues!

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #40
Albarry
Sonic Crew #016

Fan#: 87877
What I Drive: 2012 Sport completely stock, DCT

Points 3,524, Level 37
Points: 3,524, Level: 37 Points: 3,524, Level: 37 Points: 3,524, Level: 37
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 8 Albarry Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I have had my car for well over a year, almost 19.000 miles on it. with that being said I HAVE NEVER EVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY CAR. i beat the crap out of it too. The build quality is nice and solid. inside is so nice and just feels like Ford cared when building it, styling is spot on i get looks where ever i go. the engine runs so smooth, plenty of power. if anyone is thinking about getting one i would just do it already. you will not be disappointed!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.