Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 163 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #1621
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayGlow View Post
Getrag built the transmission and looking at Wikipedia they have built DCT's for BMW, AMG, Mitsubishi, even Ferrari, so it's not like they are giving it their first go.
Exactly. This is why I believe the issues are mainly software and inadequate communcation/education. How many Focus 2012-13 owners had DCT issues explained by their dealer before or at the time they purchased the car. How about zero? And how many had the issues resolved by their dealer? Not enough which to me is anything less than 100%.

Let's remember too that that Ford knew DCT shifting would be comprimised by tuning it for fuel efficiency. Ford has a mandate to meet fuel efficiency targets when their cars leave the factory. However, I doubt this is an issue if an owner asks the dealer to juice the shifting of the DCT. My mileage dropped slightly after my DCT was dailed in. But it came right back to where it was in a few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #1622
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
Exactly. This is why I believe the issues are mainly software and inadequate communcation/education. How many Focus 2012-13 owners had DCT issues explained by their dealer before or at the time they purchased the car. How about zero? And how many had the issues resolved by their dealer? Not enough which to me is anything less than 100%.

Let's remember too that that Ford knew DCT shifting would be comprimised by tuning it for fuel efficiency. Ford has a mandate to meet fuel efficiency targets when their cars leave the factory. However, I doubt this is an issue if an owner asks the dealer to juice the shifting of the DCT. My mileage dropped slightly after my DCT was dailed in. But it came right back to where it was in a few weeks.
The salesman I dealt with said "Just drive it like an automatic".

The mechanic that I had seen, regarding the low RPM/idle shudder, and reiterated by his supervisor who called me the next day to follow up (which was quite nice, actually), had said to apply more gas and to treat it like a manual transmission. I've never driven a manual before, much less an automated manual... I should re-read some materials, but after reading them the first time, most of my fears were allayed...

My MPG didn't drop much after 12B37, but acceleration was firmer and the shudder problem was eliminated.

Overall, the DCT rocks (it's smoother than anything I've had in the past) but the fear of "the noise" still keeps me needlessly spazzed.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #1623
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

"Overall, the DCT rocks (it's smoother than anything I've had in the past) but the fear of "the noise" still keeps me needlessly spazzed. "

Sounds like you have 'Fear of pedal to the metal' phobia caused by bad salesperson advice. Have faith. It will pass in time. Feel the Force in your DCT. The Force is with you.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #1624
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
It is software because the mechanical component is controlled by a microprocessor run by fuzzy logic software. The software adjusts to driver input. If the initial hesitation of the DCT makes the driver cautious the DCT will respond accordingly. If you drive aggressively the DCT will adjust accordingly. DCT issues are mainly driver caused. That most Ford mechanics need retraining is another factor. Ball peen hammers can't fix DCT issues.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but I don't see how faulty software can cause the seals on a transmission to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
I again feel there should be a MASS APPEAL to FORD(hey rep are you listening???) extend all the warranties unconditional for 10years 100k mile.... I bet it gets their attention?? If its good back it up with a guarantee!!MJB
Agree with this 100%! It would increase my confidence significantly. That said, I don't think they'll do it.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #1625
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but I don't see how faulty software can cause the seals on a transmission to fail.

Agree with this 100%! It would increase my confidence significantly. That said, I don't think they'll do it.
Even if they covered the transmission they have still excluded the dual clutch mechanism from the premium care service contract or so we keep being told. Even though as it is an automated manual transmission it is essentially equivalent to a torque converter (which can also wear out).
Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #1626
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

"Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but I don't see how faulty software can cause the seals on a transmission to fail."

Neither do I. Sorry, if I missed your point.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #1627
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
I'm not so sure it's the software used to program the DCT. It's more likely the service personnel using it. It would explain why cars like mine are trouble free and others are not. I imagine there are service personnel without sufficient training. I was lucky to pick a dealership with people who knew what they were doing.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #1628
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
I'm not so sure it's the software used to program the DCT. It's more likely the service personnel using it. It would explain why cars like mine are trouble free and others are not. I imagine there are service personnel without sufficient training. I was lucky to pick a dealership with people who knew what they were doing.
I agree. I happen to have a very good dealer and was lucky enough to get a technician (they aren't 'mechanics' any more) who had just returned from a Ford training course work on my DCT. The change was immediate and incredible. And the DCT got even better as I drove it.

I was not inferring that the software was somehow faulty. The problems I see are:
1. Inadequate dealer/customer communication of issues.
2. Owners who are confused by the initial DCT performance and feather the gas, in effect, programming the DCT to shift poorly.
3. Dealer service technicians who have no idea as to how to program the DCT.

There is no reason why Ford can not preset DCTs at the time of delivery according to customer input derived from a driver profile. Are you taking this in Crystal?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #1629
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Quote!

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!"
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #1630
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
I was not inferring that the software was somehow faulty. The problems I see are:
1. Inadequate dealer/customer communication of issues.
2. Owners who are confused by the initial DCT performance and feather the gas, in effect, programming the DCT to shift poorly.
3. Dealer service technicians who have no idea as to how to program the DCT.

I don't see any explaination in your list for leaking seals, burnt clutches or bad throwout bearings.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->