Possible wheel swap on new car purchase - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson)

Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.
Sponsored By: Phil Long Ford - Colorado's #1 Ford Dealer

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
pwk5017
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104270
What I Drive: 2012 5sp Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 pwk5017 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Possible wheel swap on new car purchase

Ok, I am ready to pull the trigger on a new focus tmr. What are the chances the dealer will swap out the current 16" alloy wheels on the car I want for the 17"s on an SEL sedan they have on the lot? They have 2-3 of these SEL sedans on the lot, so its not like I am taking their only wheel set. Is this a faux pas in the negotiation room? Does this lead to giving the dealer the upper hand, and you getting raped accordingly? If I didnt do a wheel swap at the time of purchase, what are the chances of me purchasing/swapping wheels with another owner? I feel like the second route is just going to be a headache and more money than its worth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Not a chance.
The car sticker has what is on the car. Period. When did YOU ever see a new car on the lot where some parts got swapped and they crossed off some bits on the sticker?
NEVER.

The ONLY way would be if another customer had happened to mention they wanted the 16 instead of the 17's.. and that would be pretty unlikely.

The only way you would get 17's is to buy them at some sort of discount as parts..
Or save the 16's for winter tires and buy aftermarket 17's
Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
funktional
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100157
What I Drive: 2006 Silver ZX3 S (totaled)

FF Reputation: 1 funktional Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've seen it done before, it's a car purchase, EVERYTHING is negotiable. Try it, if they want to make a sale they will make it happen.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
pwk5017
Focus Rookie

haha, I did consider it unlikely/stupid, but on the other hand, i am with funktional, it is a negotiation. Probably aftermarket is going to be the best option.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Graves
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39724
What I Drive: 2005 Yellow ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Graves Good Standing Member
Happens a lot more than you would think.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
might want to see if they have a set that a customer had swapped out or bought new wheels for and they kept them.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
pwk5017
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
Happens a lot more than you would think.
You know, I first thought it wouldnt be a big deal, but the one response made it seem like i was a complete idiot for even considering it. I am going to bring it up tomorrow night when i go to negogiate. If it turns into an enormous hassle, then i will buy the car as is, but it would be nice not to purchase the 16" wheels and tires, and then turn around and buy 17" wheels and tires. I am sure it would be a hassle selling the 16"ers too. What is the most accurate way to determine the $ difference between the 16" alloys on the SE hatchback and the 17" aluminum on the SEL sedan? Thanks for the responses, guys.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Graves
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39724
What I Drive: 2005 Yellow ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Graves Good Standing Member
From 2000 to 2011 I worked for two large Ford dealerships here in Florida. At least twice a month we did some kind of swap of something like bumpers, wheels, rack and bins in vans, or radios. To solve the issue with the invoices not matching we would simply replace the items with an aftermarket replacement, for example navigation for a 6 cd swap or aftermarket rims on a mustang if we took the originals. Only time I think we lost money is when a guy wanted painted bumpers on his F150.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Nik00117
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58749
What I Drive: 2011 Fusion SEL, 2010 Road Glide

FF Reputation: 0 Nik00117 Newbie
It won't be easy, but it has been done. Simply because it's a new car and they won't want to do it. I know my dealer refuses to do it.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
pwk5017
Focus Rookie

Yeah, I am not even considering the swap anymore. If I decide to negotiate over doing the xplan, then i might pull out the wheel swap as a counter offer to them countering my original offer. Most important thing for me is to get the right deal on this car. If the wheels end up being part of that, then thats cool, but i am more concerned about walking away pleased with the result. I dont want to look at my car for the next 5 years thinking "man, i wish i hadnt over paid for that" Its all about the deal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks