Car Stopped Running - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
Borski
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100013
What I Drive: 2012 Focus - Black - SE

FF Reputation: 1 Borski Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS View Post
its either fuel or signal going to coils.. which is like 80% if the engine.. I would also check out how it dies, did it shudder then shut off? or just shut off? fuel shudder helps to think its fuel, if it just died with no warning higher rate of possibility its electrical., signal to injectors to.. Any codes?

(edit) CHECK INJECTORS!
It died once - and won't come back. The way it died my friend said it "felt like he stalled"... so a short studder, and then hasn't come back. There were no indications of fuel problems before this incident, so that leads me to think it's electrical. Agree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Borski
Focus Enthusiast

Got to the fuel pump, tested voltage - looks like it's getting voltage. Then did a simple "ear test" and just had my friend turn the key to "ON" and I heard the pump turn on.

There are no leaks in the hoses, so we're moving on to the injectors.

Unless ALL 4 injectors died simultaneously... It has to be electrical involving the injectors. Correct me if I'm thinking wrongly please

Thanks so much for your guys help!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
Borski
Focus Enthusiast

UPDATE:

Disconnected the harnesses to all the fuel injectors. Each injector itself tested out fine at 14ohms resistance. Tested the harness, each piece of the harness is receiving 1.86V. So those seem to be fine.

To double check the fuel pump, we let it pressurize and then pulled the line going to the engine - sure enough, fuel shot everywhere (with alot of pressure I might add).

Cranked the engine with everything back together, and then checked the cylinders and spark plugs were covered in fuel.

Cranked the engine on all 4 cylinders with spark plugs out - there seems to be compression, could feel a decent amount of force on the hand.

Last thing we can think of is the fuel filter becoming suddenly clogged... if that's not it - we're thoroughly stumped.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
Cranked the engine with everything back together, and then checked the cylinders and spark plugs were covered in fuel.
This is indicative of a lack of ignition spark or weak spark. An in line spark testing tool is about $7.
Does the engine attempt to "catch" at all during a start? Backfire or cough?

Is this motor belt driven overhead cam, btw? More details on this specific engine please. I believe they used a SOHC or DOHC engine depending on year.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
Borski
Focus Enthusiast

Car is getting towed to mechanic tonight - we're out of ideas and it needs to run ASAP. Time defeated us.

Thanks for all help, rep added!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
Borski
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
This is indicative of a lack of ignition spark or weak spark. An in line spark testing tool is about $7.
Does the engine attempt to "catch" at all during a start? Backfire or cough?

Is this motor belt driven overhead cam, btw? More details on this specific engine please. I believe they used a SOHC or DOHC engine depending on year.
Model is a DOHC, belt driven.

Replaced all sparks and tested sparks through just sparking them out of the cylinder. It does not catch, cough or really try to start. The starter turns the engine over, battery is still running strong.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Did anyone check the timing belt? If it was running then stumbled and died its possible that the belt snapped destroying the engine, but that might not be the case.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
I doubt a snapped belt "destroyed the engine" as it would seem to spin freely on the starter motor and it was stated the initial stall wasn't "catastrophic" (or noisy) in nature. A timing belt that lost a few teeth however is a possibility; a compression check would have helped determine if that was the case.

Let us know what the final diagnosis from the mechanic is. Hopefully it's something simple and inexpensive.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
Borski
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
a compression check would have helped determine if that was the case.
We did a "roadside" test just by pulling some of the plugs and feeling with our hands.

Quote:
Let us know what the final diagnosis from the mechanic is. Hopefully it's something simple and inexpensive.
Will do - I am really wondering what the diagnosis is, I'm really out of ideas. The only other thought was the fuel filter, but on this particular car you have to drop the fuel tank to get to it (stupid) so that's out of our possibilities.

Thank you everyone again. I'll let you know the diagnosis for those interested.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
Borski
Focus Enthusiast

FINAL UPDATE:

Turns out that it was a timing belt that broke a tooth loose, and then was slipping. Shop quoted $650 for replacement (parts & labor), and my buddy has no real choice but to take it. We don't have the resources to do it at our apartment.

No word on if it bent anything in our attempts to re-start it or in the initial slip. Waiting on that news.

Thanks again for all of your guys input! Love this FF Community!

Bookmarks & Social Networks