TSB 12B37 - New? - Page 57 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #561
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,615, Level 65
Points: 9,615, Level: 65 Points: 9,615, Level: 65 Points: 9,615, Level: 65
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
I get your point, but what % of owners have to "get a bad one" before we conclude its a "bad transmission"? I find it hard to believe any transmission on any modern car has been this troublesome to its owners this early in its life.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the issue is design or quality control: both can create problems, both can be fixed; the owner is in the same position either way.
6F35 (the light duty torque converter based planetary transmission) from the Fusion/ Escape/ et al a few years back was having all sorts of shift flare issues and generally falling apart very early, and that's a very firmly established technology by now. But Ford always had trouble with the FWD torque converter automatics all the way back through the 4F50N, AX4N, AX4S, AXOD-E, AXOD, etc...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #562
sam.noside
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104368
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red 5dr HB SEL

FF Reputation: 1 sam.noside Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Newbie: How do I know if I've got this?

We are looking at buying a 2012 Candy Red 5dr Hatchback SEL, which we fell in love with. Its a 2012 with 6 Speed AT. 36,000 miles. It drove fine. Are we past the "trouble point"? Is this a "good transmission"? Or are all 2012's doomed to trouble...
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #563
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,703, Level 31
Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.noside View Post
We are looking at buying a 2012 Candy Red 5dr Hatchback SEL, which we fell in love with. Its a 2012 with 6 Speed AT. 36,000 miles. It drove fine. Are we past the "trouble point"? Is this a "good transmission"? Or are all 2012's doomed to trouble...
To see if any Field Service Actions, such as 12B37, are open against the vehicle, go to the Ford ETIS site and enter the VIN of the vehicle. LINK

This is the Ford Europe site, so the vehicle build date will be in European format (i.e. 30.09.2012 for September 30, 2012) and also shows the vehicle configuration and options.

As for the other question, it's hard to say if the car you're looking at has a transmission that will be trouble free or not. We have three 2012 Foci in our family, all with the DCT and no issues so far with any of them. However, being a mechanical thing, and one whose design might have benefited from a bit more refinement prior to its initial release, it's hard to say that past performance is a reliable guide for future performance.

If you like the SEL you're looking at, that's a call you'll have to make for yourself. We can all give opinions, but nobody can give you a guarantee. All I can really say is that I really like my SEL and would make that purchase decision again without hesitation.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #564
sam.noside
Focus Rookie

Tim,

Thanks for the answer and the link. This is what I'm shown:

Focus (C346N), 2.0L Duratec DI TIVCT (160PS), Race Red
Outstanding Field Service Actions
12B37 - , AND THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE

Primary Features
Build Date: 22.06.2011
Vehicle Line: Focus (C346N)
Body Style: 5 Door Saloon
Series: Sel Version
Engine: 2.0L Duratec DI TIVCT (160PS)
Transmission: 6 Speed Auto Transmission DCPS
Drive: LHD FWD
Emission: 50 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: Dual Zone Auto Temp Control A/C
(Plus a long list of other options I could append, but will point out these:)
Michigan Plant Built
Fleet

Because it says Outstanding 12B37, I assume the transmission problem a) was not applied at the factory, and b) has not been applied to this vehicle. Right?

Is there any correlation of the December build to this or any other problem? Put differently, is there anything that a December build in Michigan tells me?

Is there anything else that pops out that I should "pay attention to" in terms of things that others have had troubles with?

- Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post
To see if any Field Service Actions, such as 12B37, are open against the vehicle, go to the Ford ETIS site and enter the VIN of the vehicle. LINK

This is the Ford Europe site, so the vehicle build date will be in European format (i.e. 30.09.2012 for September 30, 2012) and also shows the vehicle configuration and options.

As for the other question, it's hard to say if the car you're looking at has a transmission that will be trouble free or not. We have three 2012 Foci in our family, all with the DCT and no issues so far with any of them. However, being a mechanical thing, and one whose design might have benefited from a bit more refinement prior to its initial release, it's hard to say that past performance is a reliable guide for future performance.

If you like the SEL you're looking at, that's a call you'll have to make for yourself. We can all give opinions, but nobody can give you a guarantee. All I can really say is that I really like my SEL and would make that purchase decision again without hesitation.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #565
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,703, Level 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Because it says Outstanding 12B37, I assume the transmission problem a) was not applied at the factory, and b) has not been applied to this vehicle. Right?

Is there any correlation of the December build to this or any other problem? Put differently, is there anything that a December build in Michigan tells me?

Is there anything else that pops out that I should "pay attention to" in terms of things that others have had troubles with?
True, if it shows 12B37 as outstanding, then the 12B37 software update for the PCM/TCM/ABS has not been applied.

I'm not sure what you mean by "December build". Looking at the ETIS info there, it appears that the car was built on June 22, 2011. As FSA 12B37 only started at the beginning of May 2012, there's no way the update would have been done on the production line and it appears that the previous owner did not have this accomplished.

You'll find plenty of other threads about issues others have found, but two of the big ones have been issues with the MyFordTouch (MFT) system and problems with clunking and rattling noises from the front suspension.

I'm not sure if the car you're looking at has MFT or not, but many folks have experienced quite a few different glitches with this. I have it on my car and have not experienced anything at all like that, but others have.

The clunk/rattle seems to come from the upper attach points of the left and right front suspension and seems to happen more at low speeds. The best way to check for this is to drive slowly over some speed bumps and listen for the clunk/rattle. Our SE Sport has this and, while annoying, it doesn't appear to be a safety issue.

Ford is still working on both of these issues, and the transmission ones as well. While a lot of us would be happier is they'd maybe resolve them a bit quicker, at least they are still trying.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #566
sam.noside
Focus Rookie

Tim,

Doh! Even after your explanation I read Build Date: 22.06.2011 as December, not June. You're right.

I don't have My Ford Touch. At least I pretty sure. There is a little screen in the cockpit, but not big enough for MFT, and I don't see MFT on the extended list of features. It does however have the Microsoft Sync.

(I'd attach an image, but I can't figure out the image upload, even with 30 years experience with computers... )

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post
True, if it shows 12B37 as outstanding, then the 12B37 software update for the PCM/TCM/ABS has not been applied.

I'm not sure what you mean by "December build". Looking at the ETIS info there, it appears that the car was built on June 22, 2011. As FSA 12B37 only started at the beginning of May 2012, there's no way the update would have been done on the production line and it appears that the previous owner did not have this accomplished.

You'll find plenty of other threads about issues others have found, but two of the big ones have been issues with the MyFordTouch (MFT) system and problems with clunking and rattling noises from the front suspension.

I'm not sure if the car you're looking at has MFT or not, but many folks have experienced quite a few different glitches with this. I have it on my car and have not experienced anything at all like that, but others have.

The clunk/rattle seems to come from the upper attach points of the left and right front suspension and seems to happen more at low speeds. The best way to check for this is to drive slowly over some speed bumps and listen for the clunk/rattle. Our SE Sport has this and, while annoying, it doesn't appear to be a safety issue.

Ford is still working on both of these issues, and the transmission ones as well. While a lot of us would be happier is they'd maybe resolve them a bit quicker, at least they are still trying.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #567
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,703, Level 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Tim,

Doh! Even after your explanation I read Build Date: 22.06.2011 as December, not June. You're right.

I don't have My Ford Touch. At least I pretty sure. There is a little screen in the cockpit, but not big enough for MFT, and I don't see MFT on the extended list of features. It does however have the Microsoft Sync.

(I'd attach an image, but I can't figure out the image upload, even with 30 years experience with computers... )

Thanks again.
Sounds like 'SYNC with MyFordTech', which is different from MFT. We have that on our SE and are very happy with it.

Glad I was able to provide some assistance. Best of luck with your new Focus!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.