2012 Focus - Rough Idle - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #41
gretanor
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99933
What I Drive: 2012

FF Reputation: 1 gretanor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There is a TSB for the front end problem #11-11-02. Make them fix it. I am in for the 3rd time trying to get it fixed. They keep saying they can't hear the noise. But when I drive up to, say a store, people standing outside even can hear the noise and comment on it. Service department seems to have selective hearing. Just keep forcing the issue.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #42
xspeedy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104357
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatch SE, 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 xspeedy Good Standing Member
I have the rough idle on my SE 5-speed manual. Does it when the engine is nice and warm. Dealer swapped the throttle body but the issue persists. I tried different gas, premium...

All I can say is that it is not normal. Should not shake like that at idle, especially with no load against the engine as with an auto in drive and stopped with the brakes.

I may try to pull the connector to the MAF to see what it does.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #43
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,235, Level 35
Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy View Post
I have the rough idle on my SE 5-speed manual. Does it when the engine is nice and warm. Dealer swapped the throttle body but the issue persists. I tried different gas, premium...

All I can say is that it is not normal. Should not shake like that at idle, especially with no load against the engine as with an auto in drive and stopped with the brakes.

I may try to pull the connector to the MAF to see what it does.
Hi xspeedy,

I want to escalate your case to your region's Customer Service Manager. They'll work in tandem with your dealership to ensure your concern is resolved. Shoot me a PM with your VIN, mileage, dealer, and daytime phone number; I'll handle the rest!

Thanks,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #44
tjbischoff
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104619
What I Drive: 2009,maroon, se

FF Reputation: 1 tjbischoff Good Standing Member
Rough rolling idle

I have a rolling idle issue on my 2009 and dealer replaced PCM after I found the TSB and had them test the old one. Still has the issue and they told they won't do anymore for me and that it is normal for these small four cylinder engines. How insulting! Working with the BBB now. This will be my last Ford product!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #45
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,235, Level 35
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbischoff View Post
I have a rolling idle issue on my 2009 and dealer replaced PCM after I found the TSB and had them test the old one. Still has the issue and they told they won't do anymore for me and that it is normal for these small four cylinder engines. How insulting! Working with the BBB now. This will be my last Ford product!
Hi tjbischoff,

Have you considered going to a different Ford dealership for a second opinion? That may be a good option for you if you're frustrated with your current dealership.

Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Crystal

Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #46
NCFocus12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103684
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 NCFocus12 Good Standing Member
I can't find another thread I posted in about poor running and low MPG, but I am running a test to see what works best for my car.

SO far, I've run on standard 87 octane E10, 93 octane ethanol-free, and now I'm back to a cheap tank of 87 E10.

The car ran notably smoother, seemed to have advanced timing by the ECU (different sound, more aggressive to the "pedal touch," and I averaged 36.9 MPG with 1/3 city, 1/3 2-lane, and 1/3 interstate.

Back to the 87, and IMMEDIATELY the motor is rough, harsh, sounds like I'm prodding a sick cow when I accelerate compared to how it reacted with the 93 non-E. Oh, and the mileage is struggling to stay between 34 and 35.

So, as I suspected, higher octane gives better performance, better driveability, and better MPG in our cars. It's the same - except opposite - of Mercedes, where the manual states premium is recommended, but you can run 87 with retarded timing. The Focus is the same, just worded the opposite. In other words, MARKETING.

I am going to try E10 93 next. I suspect the mileage won't be quite as high as my 36.9 avg with the ethanol in it, but I expect performance and smoothness to be back.

Spend the extra 5 bucks and buy premium.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #47
typemgtst
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96555
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 1 typemgtst Good Standing Member
I am having the same issue. The dealer also swapped out the throttle body but it still happens. It shakes terribly at idle most of the time. There are some rare occurrences when it is smooth and shudder free, but again, that is very rare. I'm wondering what the heck it is. My gas mileage is bad too, 19 in the city which is all I really drive.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #48
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,235, Level 35
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by typemgtst View Post
I am having the same issue. The dealer also swapped out the throttle body but it still happens. It shakes terribly at idle most of the time. There are some rare occurrences when it is smooth and shudder free, but again, that is very rare. I'm wondering what the heck it is. My gas mileage is bad too, 19 in the city which is all I really drive.
Hi typemgtst,

Have you been back to your dealer so they can inspect? I'm happy to step in and get your case escalated to your regional Customer Service Manager. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime phone number; I'll get things started.

Thanks!
Crystal

Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #49
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFocus12 View Post
The car ran notably smoother, seemed to have advanced timing by the ECU (different sound, more aggressive to the "pedal touch," and I averaged 36.9 MPG with 1/3 city, 1/3 2-lane, and 1/3 interstate.

Back to the 87, and IMMEDIATELY the motor is rough, harsh, sounds like I'm prodding a sick cow when I accelerate compared to how it reacted with the 93 non-E. Oh, and the mileage is struggling to stay between 34 and 35.

So, as I suspected, higher octane gives better performance, better driveability, and better MPG in our cars.
Your findings agree with mine. Running on 87 E10, my K&N intake sounds like it's "bogging" under load at low RPM (1.5K - 2.5K). With high octane--especially E85--that bogging sound is virtually non-existent. Octane makes a huge difference in low-RPM performance & driveability in my car.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #50
typemgtst
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96555
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 1 typemgtst Good Standing Member
Thank you. No I have not been back since it was changed out a week ago. My dealer is very good so I will take it back soon, I just cannot be without a car for days at a time. I will contact you if I do not find a solution.

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi typemgtst,

Have you been back to your dealer so they can inspect? I'm happy to step in and get your case escalated to your regional Customer Service Manager. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime phone number; I'll get things started.

Thanks!
Crystal

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.