iPhone 5 & Sync - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
The 30 pin to Lightning adapter looks very large... are you sure that it doesn't perform an analogue to digital conversion within it? I think the whole point of the adapter is to make things work precisely as they did before... losing everything but the sound would be a pretty big oversight if that were true.

I think that's part of why it's huge, and quite pricey. Certainly not an adapter I'd want to deal with, but it's probably the best they could do.
It does perform an analog to digital conversion. That's not the problem. The problem is some models of cars (and some aftermarket headunits) do not use standard USB for their iPod and instead use a physical iPod connector (30pin). Those headunits also don't just "play music" through the connector, but rather use iPod Out or Video Out to do various things. BMW, for instance, mirrors the iPod view on the headunit and allows control of all of the functions of the iPod from the car controls. This type of functionality (using both iPod Out and Video Out) is not supported when using the adapter.

Of course it handles it digitally. This is the reason that when you plug in an iPod it displays the song information and allows browsing of the contents of the phone. It's the same as plugging in a USB stick -- it's all digital.

Not sure why you wrote in the second link...it pretty much explains my reply in detail. That part of the functionality doesn't affect our cars at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #32
DrRay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14474
What I Drive: A car

FF Reputation: 1 DrRay Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
Why would you connect it with the USB cable? Just use Bluetooth.
1. You can charge while driving
2. You cannot use SYNC commands through Bluetooth
3. Sound Quality
4. BT is flaky with SYNC and my Iphone4S. It just is.

This cable/interface thing is always a moving target and an issue with Apple products. There really are alternative smart phones out there, many are arguably better and cheaper.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #33
natemac
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97978
What I Drive: 2012 Black sFe

FF Reputation: 1 natemac Good Standing Member
Just confirming:
Bluetooth iPhone 5 works
USB(9-pin cable) iPhone 5 works
-Everything seems to be working just as before
...BUT now when I go to "Text Messages" in the SYNC menu, it no longer says "unsupported device"...Although I was not able to get it to show anything but the menus, and the txt I did try to send threw SYNC did not go threw. I'm not sure how this feature worked with other phone, I did see an option to download unread txt but didn't have any at the time to try.
Glad my doubts where just speculatory.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #34
Knuit
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99377
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Knuit Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Ya, but then you're also limited to using the Music app, right? I use Spotify for most of my music from my phone. Bluetooth works wonderfully.

Then again, if all I have to do is leave a cable plugged in to use Spotify through USB...I'm game.
I used Spotify perfectly fine while plugged into USB with my iPhone 4; you just modify where the output is going in the app. I'll test it with my iPhone 5 this weekend.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #35
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuit View Post
I used Spotify perfectly fine while plugged into USB with my iPhone 4; you just modify where the output is going in the app. I'll test it with my iPhone 5 this weekend.
Of course, but it uses Bluetooth for the output...it doesn't output the Spotify over USB. There's no advantage in using this over just using straight bluetooth.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #36
natemac
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Of course, but it uses Bluetooth for the output...it doesn't output the Spotify over USB. There's no advantage in using this over just using straight bluetooth.
Sure you can chose to output threw USB and I think there is a big advantage, much better audio fidelity.

This all work with iOS6 and iPhone 5
Also what works is receiving text messages and SYNC reading them to you, unfortunately, it kinda garbles of the name of who sent it with a bunch of number, and you can't send anything threw sync, but it does read the text for you in you receive one now. Probably a firmware update will take care of this new issue/feature.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #37
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemac View Post
Sure you can chose to output threw USB and I think there is a big advantage, much better audio fidelity.

This all work with iOS6 and iPhone 5
Also what works is receiving text messages and SYNC reading them to you, unfortunately, it kinda garbles of the name of who sent it with a bunch of number, and you can't send anything threw sync, but it does read the text for you in you receive one now. Probably a firmware update will take care of this new issue/feature.
Once again this isn't a MFT issue it's a IOS issue.

iOS doesn't work properly with ANY in car system given how Apple makes even their USB and Bluetooth connections over proprietary methods just different enough to break some features like texting through your car.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #38
natemac
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Once again this isn't a MFT issue it's a IOS issue.

iOS doesn't work properly with ANY in car system given how Apple makes even their USB and Bluetooth connections over proprietary methods just different enough to break some features like texting through your car.
Well Siri can read my text threw the car speakers, so it's a mute feature anyway. Also I can dictate text threw MFT Bluetooth, so I'm happy.
I honestly wish the "SYNC" button would activate Siri instead of SYNC, get directions and information would be so much quicker, then having to dial in like I have to do now. Now that would be a feature I would use like crazy.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #39
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemac View Post
Well Siri can read my text threw the car speakers, so it's a mute feature anyway. Also I can dictate text threw MFT Bluetooth, so I'm happy.
I honestly wish the "SYNC" button would activate Siri instead of SYNC, get directions and information would be so much quicker, then having to dial in like I have to do now. Now that would be a feature I would use like crazy.
I must have missed something. How does siri work over bluetooth? Are you saying you have to be streaming music via BT before you'd be able to hear her read them or you can be on any input and can still hear tones, etc via Iphone?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #40
natemac
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I must have missed something. How does siri work over bluetooth? Are you saying you have to be streaming music via BT before you'd be able to hear her read them or you can be on any input and can still hear tones, etc via Iphone?
I just do the SYNC voice command for "Bluetooth Audio" whether music is playing or not, Siri is now command threw the bluetooth microphone.
Also if your using the Audio threw the USB Dock you can use this also as long as SYNC see's your phone over bluetooth. (Same as if you took a call while your phone was docked)

Bookmarks & Social Networks