Save the Manuals (Malibooya's Project Thread) - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #51
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[Sorry for wall o' text]

I come from a family of drivers, people who love the car, the freedom and control a car gives you as well as the overall driving experience. Naturally, virtually everyone in my family is a fan of motorsport, namely rallying and Formula 1. Neither side of my family is American either (Japanese and Brazilian). So everyone, naturally, learned to drive with manual cars. That was and still is the only option for them.

In Brazil, where economy reigns supreme, the idea of having something that can be more expensive to fix/replace at any given time, or may take more than what your average mechanic's tool-kit has in it is anathema. So everyone in my father's family always drove manuals. They were cheaper, and generally speaking the only thing available in everyday, non-luxury cars. The other thing is that over there, the roads are totally different. Long stretches of mountain, 2-lane roads connecting towns and farming communities dozens of miles apart. And even though these roads are badly maintained, being a Third world nation and all, they're all a blast. They're also a place where if for some reason you break down, you want to be able to push start. Help wouldn't be coming.

This was partially the environment I learned to drive in when I was well below the legal driving age (another typical thing there; nobody starts at the driving age, and no one ever really asks). There's nothing more exhilarating (or more terrifying, maybe) than a drive through the Serra (which in most stretches lacked guardrail) in some underpowered, yet well maintained car like a Fiat Punto, swapping your own cogs, and trying desperately from keeping your brake fluid from boiling over sometimes, just to get from one town to the next. There's traffic in the few big, but badly designed cities, and somehow, everyone manages to drive a manual there too without complaint. In Japan, it's different, mainly because the scene there has always been more modern European in terms of cars--high tech cars, and a vibrant performance scene. But still most people there know how to drive or own a manual transmission equipped car.

When I came back from stints living overseas in my high school years and had to start studying to get a U.S. license, we still had a manual car. My father refused to let me skate by on an automatic. But I was bewildered by how many people here in the U.S. let a slushbox control their driving experience. No wonder fewer and fewer people my age like driving; driving an automatic car through developed suburbia holds no candle to being in a manual car on a good, or even mildly interesting road. People now are too concerned with their phones, or in-car-entertainment to care either.

My Focus is my fiancee's first manual car. I taught her how to operate the transmission, and she picked it up to a very decent skill level in short order, and now says she'll never own an automatic again. So I don't think it's a matter of people not being able to learn it anymore or that it has no place in American motoring. I think it's incumbent upon those of us who know how to teach others so that they can see what they're missing. I think if more people appreciated the simple pleasures of making a car do exactly what you want, when you want it, understanding how to coax it, cajole it, and control it, and have a man-machine relationship with it, we'd have less vehicular appliances and more memorable, enjoyable cars.

My father recently started driving an automatic 5-series Beamer, but I'll cut the guy some slack, and he's 64, with knees that aren't what they used to be.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #52
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Mail, did you check out Car and Driver mag. They have many supporting articles on "saving the manual".
Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #53
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdiesel View Post
Mail, did you check out Car and Driver mag. They have many supporting articles on "saving the manual".
Yes. But no one's doing a video production like I am.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #54
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflow94 View Post
:( i'm 61 miles too far.
If I can get a colleague to help me film, I don't mind traveling farther than my arbitrary 300 mile limit. 6 hours each way on the road by yourself in one day is tough...I've done seven and started going nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
[wall o' text]
This is actually a perfect kind of snapshot. You will have PM soon, sir.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #55
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post

This is actually a perfect kind of snapshot. You will have PM soon, ma'am.
;)

Well, I hope it's a useful one! Best of luck with this project; I really like the spirit of it. As someone else mentioned, C/D is doing a similar initiative (if different in implementation and scope).

There's hope yet though....Porsche's made the new 911 with a 7-speed manual box...must drive...
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 10-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #56
indy_11
Panamasian

Fan#: 81404
What I Drive: 2011 Blue Flame SES

FF Reputation: 7 indy_11 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post
If I can get a colleague to help me film, I don't mind traveling farther than my arbitrary 300 mile limit. 6 hours each way on the road by yourself in one day is tough...I've done seven and started going nuts.

This is actually a perfect kind of snapshot. You will have PM soon, sir.
that'd be amazing! but i understand. 6hrs...not fun lol
2011 Blue Flame Focus SES #011
December 2011 ROTM Winner! :)
I always take a poo before driving to reduce weight and increase performance
you tell me your auto is fun to drive, I laugh in your face.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #57
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
;)

Well, I hope it's a useful one! Best of luck with this project; I really like the spirit of it. As someone else mentioned, C/D is doing a similar initiative (if different in implementation and scope).

There's hope yet though....Porsche's made the new 911 with a 7-speed manual box...must drive...
Whoops. I guess after a while I just assume everyone on car forums is a dude, unless they're totally obvious about their second X chromosome like Avie.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #58
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Sign me up. I'm in Los Angeles, CA.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #59
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnMeNow View Post
Sign me up. I'm in Los Angeles, CA.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
That's...a haul.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #60
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Oh come on, where's your sense of adventure?!? I've done 20 hr driving stints before!
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Bookmarks & Social Networks