Disconnected transmission tube, problem? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86578
What I Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 xwhit3devilx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Question Disconnected transmission tube, problem?

So today when I went to check my oil and other fluids I noticed something bizarre. Down behind the air box there was a plastic tube connected to a vacuum line type hose that was just sitting around out of place. After looking around I found a hole on top of the DCT where the tube would appear to fit. I noticed a bit of oil (tranny fluid?) was caked around where the hole is and there was still some oil fresh inside it.

Here's a picture of the tube (I pulled it up a bit to take the picture, it was down behind the air box when I found it)

And here's a picture of the hole

First of all; what the heck is this thing? Why would it have come out? And is it a problem that it was disconnected? Could I have lost fluids that will need to be replaced?

Just a note, I check my cars fluids weekly and this was NOT detached last week. (I haven't touched the car since then so I'm fairly certain I didn't accidentally knock it out of place) And yes, I did put the tube back where it belongs after I finished taking the pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Looks like a vent tube
Old 09-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy'sexclusiveZx3 View Post
Looks like a vent tube
+1. Trace down the other end of that tube and see where it leads. I wouldn't be surprised if it is vented to atmosphere.

If you'd lost any gear oil, you would see remnants of it around the hole. It looks pretty clean to me. I would put the vent tube back in the hole, check the fluid level at the fill plug, and mention it to the dealer's service dept next time I'm in.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Can't imagine how that was able to become disconnected. It does look like a fair amount of grit worked its way around the opening and some probably got into the opening itself. Assuming this is a vent tube, the grit could have worked itself into the transmission itself, which is not a good thing. Guess I would discuss with the dealer and try to get the fluid changed soon.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
frinesi2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95914
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 frinesi2 Good Standing Member
+1 on the vent tube. I can't confirm 100% of course, but on many a forum I have seen threads like this.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhit3devilx View Post
So today when I went to check my oil and other fluids I noticed something bizarre. Down behind the air box there was a plastic tube connected to a vacuum line type hose that was just sitting around out of place. After looking around I found a hole on top of the DCT where the tube would appear to fit. I noticed a bit of oil (tranny fluid?) was caked around where the hole is and there was still some oil fresh inside it...
First of all; what the heck is this thing? Why would it have come out? And is it a problem that it was disconnected? Could I have lost fluids that will need to be replaced?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
... Guess I would discuss with the dealer and try to get the fluid changed soon...
Hi xwhit3devilx,

As dan50 has suggested, I would recommend that you swing by your dealership so they can inspect. They'll be able to tell you what the tube is and replace any lost fluids, if necessary.

Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you need additional assistance.

Thanks!
-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Thanks everyone. The car seems to be driving (and shifting) fine for now, so I'll just mention it next time I get my oil changed as suggested. I probably overreacted, but given the number of issues people have had with the DCT I figured I'd ask around here to be sure.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93741
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhit3devilx View Post
Thanks everyone. The car seems to be driving (and shifting) fine for now, so I'll just mention it next time I get my oil changed as suggested. I probably overreacted, but given the number of issues people have had with the DCT I figured I'd ask around here to be sure.
I woud not say you over reacted at all it is the Transfer Case Breather Tube. Lets see how it runs with water and dirty getting in the Transfer Case. As long as you setted it back you will be fine until you hit the Dealership

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...rd&model=Focus
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Seriously, you're going to ignore the advice to have the dealership check this issue from the one person who has the most knowledge and wait to take the car in to have this checked out based on advice from anonymous people, I hope your oil change is this weekend. A lot of useful information is shared on this forum, but I have to say waiting is not good advice on this one. If a Ford mechanic had posted and said that tube is this and does this and it should be OK to wait, then maybe... Aren't you worried that contaminates may have entered or you may have lost fluid? With all the complaints about the DCT posted here, are you willing to take that chance? One, two or more small stones or the loss of fluid could be damaging the transmission and it's easier to address now than after. The car may be driving and shifting fine for now and I hope fine for now isn't the last thing said before failure. Best of luck.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

I missed the post from the Ford tech, I must have been writing my response as it was being posted. I'll make an appointment asap.I must seem like an idiot now

Edit: Whoops, guess I did just totally miss the post. Shame on me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->