The Competition - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Wildsailor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralck View Post
Well, at least in my opinion the Mazda3 the only competition!

The original reason I went with my Focus is that I could get a manual transmission and sunroof combo (in 2012 could not get Mazda Skyactiv manual with sunroof). Then I fell in love with my Focus way more than I expected (thought it would be a good car, but turned out to be a great car).

Now that I need to buy a new car, I'm torn between...

* Snip

The SE with 201A is virtually the same as the Mazda3 I'm looking at (both have leather, rear disc, etc etc), but the Mazda gives me a few extras like upgraded Bose sound (I would not be getting the MFT/Sony pack on the Focus), Mazda suspension/driving dynamics/steering feel, in-dash Nav (a feature I would probably never use), and probably 1-2MPG better.

BUT the Mazda dealerships where I live really don't want to negotiate price, so with the current Focus rebates, etc, [B]the SE 201A is at least $3k cheaper [/B](assuming I get lucky and can negotiate ~1000 off a Mazda).

Am I crazy for not being able to decide which one? 3k buys a lot of suspension/speaker/etc upgrades, but I don't think I can upgrade the steering feel (the Focus has good feel, but the Mazda is still better). Am I crazy? It just seems so hard to choose since they are virtually the same car...

P.S. Yes, I expect all of you to recommend the Focus because this is a Focus forum.
Well, this is all a lot of information to digest. However, having just completed my anal shopping methodology I will, of course, muddy the water a little more for you...

First, if the Mazda is truly $3k more than the SE with the Apearance Package if and only if you can negotiate down on the Mazda 3, then there is a bit of risk there...just financial risk not something serious. This is a good thing to figure out here in the armchair BEFORE you go look at the shiny stuff.

So, within the range of $3k - $4k more than an SE with the 201A you can get:
- Titanuim 5spd loaded with remote start, moonroof, sony, nav, and PEPS (Edit: no, remote start is not available on 5 spd, sorry)
- ST base with moonroof
- Escape S or base SE
- Mustang V6 Coupe

My point is 3-4k is a lot of buying power and usually puts you up one in vehicle rank. That is a lot of money for something everyone seems to agree is not as nice a driving car.

Run the configurator again at Ford.com and see what options you can get on the Titanium and you would be able to get the 'touring' suspension, the 4-wheel disc, power seat, leather, Sony sound, RVC, PEPS, 17" wheels, etc. all as base. Then you can possibly add self park, moonroof, NAV, or 18" touring suspension. $3-$4 is a lot of options and I think you may end up even or still less than the Mazda 3 (not sure, just guessing)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
I was in your position about 6 months ago and bought the Focus for about $3K less just because it was less money and Ford supposedly had gotten it's act together. Looking back on it ... I think I would go the other way if I had it to do again. I like the Focus, but I'm used to Toyota reliabilty ... and so far the Focus leaves a lot to be desired. Issues with the suspension, issues with MFT, issues with the DCT ... and general reliability issues have combined to yield absolutely horrendous value losses.

My Focus has been in the shop more in the first 5000 miles than my last 3 Toyotas were in 280,000 miles combined. Thank God I bought a basic Focus at the bottom of the price scale. At least I won't get hammered that bad if I dump it. I was hoping that Ford had gotten their stuff together .... but it turns out they haven't ... at least if you look at my car they haven't. It absolutely astounds me that the Ford suspension engineers can't fix a simple klunk in the suspension in a year's time.

It's really a shame that this car has so many issues, because it really is a nice handling and ecoomical little car. All the issues really detract from the fun of owning it.

If you don't mind driving a few hours ... Young Mazda in Easton PA has blowout pricing on their Mazdas ... well over 50 both with and without Skyactive. $16.3K without and $17.2K with Skyactiv.

REV
Old 09-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I'' sit the fence on this one.
I have a bit of a skyactiv hard on. I'm cross shopping a mazda cx5 with an escape for the wife. however, 3k is alot of cash.

If you want reliability like an old toyota. buy an old toyota. if you want cool cutting edge technology, get a focus or mazda. not a boring new corrola still offered with a 4 spd slushbox.

i think both will be a great choice.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96372
What I Drive: My sister's car while it is salty

FF Reputation: 1 ralck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsailor View Post
*snip*

So, within the range of $3k - $4k more than an SE with the 201A you can get:
- Titanuim 5spd loaded with remote start, moonroof, sony, nav, and PEPS (Edit: no, remote start is not available on 5 spd, sorry)
- ST base with moonroof
- Escape S or base SE
- Mustang V6 Coupe

My point is 3-4k is a lot of buying power and usually puts you up one in vehicle rank. That is a lot of money for something everyone seems to agree is not as nice a driving car.

Run the configurator again at Ford.com and see what options you can get on the Titanium and you would be able to get the 'touring' suspension, the 4-wheel disc, power seat, leather, Sony sound, RVC, PEPS, 17" wheels, etc. all as base. Then you can possibly add self park, moonroof, NAV, or 18" touring suspension. $3-$4 is a lot of options and I think you may end up even or still less than the Mazda 3 (not sure, just guessing)...
I suppose a base ST is an option, but like I said before, the back seats not folding flat would annoy me... not to mention how much my insurance would increase, winter wheels/tires, etc etc.
As far as the other options you listed, I never really considered that, but ultimately I think the compact hatch is the segment for me. A mustang would be fun, but I'm not sure I could deal with the "lack of space" compared to a Focus/Mazda3.

And unless I'm doing something wrong, the Titanium jumps to 26k with just Blue Candy and a moonroof. Not sure I want MFT and all the other extras. Not even sure what RVC or PEPS is!
I believe the SE w/ 201A gets you the touring suspension, leather (honestly don't really want leather, but at least it's fake), rear discs, fog lights (very useful when driving home to visit the folks), perimeter alarm, power driver seat (don't care because I'll set my seat once and be done). That is essentially most of a Ti without the MFT and other stuff I don't care about?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
...My Focus has been in the shop more in the first 5000 miles than my last 3 Toyotas were in 280,000 miles combined. Thank God I bought a basic Focus at the bottom of the price scale. At least I won't get hammered that bad if I dump it. I was hoping that Ford had gotten their stuff together .... but it turns out they haven't ... at least if you look at my car they haven't. It absolutely astounds me that the Ford suspension engineers can't fix a simple klunk in the suspension in a year's time...
Hi revhigh,

I want to step in here and see how I can help. I'm happy to get you escalated to your regional Customer Service Manager; just send me a PM with your VIN, estimated mileage, preferred servicing dealer, and daytime phone number.

I hope to hear from you soon,
-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Quote:
I suppose a base ST is an option, but like I said before, the back seats not folding flat would annoy me... not to mention how much my insurance would increase, winter wheels/tires, etc etc.
As far as the other options you listed, I never really considered that, but ultimately I think the compact hatch is the segment for me. A mustang would be fun, but I'm not sure I could deal with the "lack of space" compared to a Focus/Mazda3.

And unless I'm doing something wrong, the Titanium jumps to 26k with just Blue Candy and a moonroof. Not sure I want MFT and all the other extras. Not even sure what RVC or PEPS is!
I believe the SE w/ 201A gets you the touring suspension, leather (honestly don't really want leather, but at least it's fake), rear discs, fog lights (very useful when driving home to visit the folks), perimeter alarm, power driver seat (don't care because I'll set my seat once and be done). That is essentially most of a Ti without the MFT and other stuff I don't care about?
you sure about that? the seats in my SEL are real leather.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Hi Crystal !

Thanks for the offer, but my dealership has been very good so far. I'm still working patiently with them and have always had a great relationship with them. They're also my Toyota dealer, so I've known them for many, many years. I think they're bumping my suspension issue up the ladder by themselves.

It's not so much that I think they're not going to fix the issue, it's just a pain that I have the issue at all. First I have to take it in to let them hear it ... then they have to order the parts, which took a month or so ... then they had the car for two days to install the parts ... then I had to take it back for them to hear the noise that has returned ... now they're escalating it up to Ford ... then I'll have to take in again to be re-diagnosed ... then they'll have to order parts .... then they'll need the car for 2 more days .... etc, etc.

I know that's the only way to get it resolved, but it's just a pain to constantly have to go back and forth, especially when Ford knows damn well the problem isn't fixed by that TSB. Why don't they just FIX it ?? THey HAVE to know what the cause is, and putting different but the same parts in time and again isn't going to change the outcome. Somewhere there is a part with a bad design.

If it turns out that things stall at my dealership I'll let you know, but as of now, things are progressing ... albeit slowly. My wife drives the car on a daily basis, and it doesn't bother her ... she just turns up the radio. I drive my Toyota, which is at 37K miles without a hickup.

REV
Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96372
What I Drive: My sister's car while it is salty

FF Reputation: 1 ralck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
you sure about that? the seats in my SEL are real leather.
I had found some stuff online stating that the leather used in Europe was fake leather. I assumed the US was the same? Also, another member on here in one of my last threads stated that it was fake leather.

I honestly hope what they put in the SE's is fake leather. It's mostly an ethical treatment of animals thing for me. I know real leather is a feature some people really like, but for me I'd rather cloth or, at worst, fake leather.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyolsen View Post
I test drove the 3 before buying the focus. IMO the Focus ride quality and noise level was far superior to the Mazda 3.
No argument on that. It's superior to the Subaru vehicles I've been in and/or driven as well...
Old 09-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I had found some stuff online stating that the leather used in Europe was fake leather. I assumed the US was the same? Also, another member on here in one of my last threads stated that it was fake leather.

I honestly hope what they put in the SE's is fake leather. It's mostly an ethical treatment of animals thing for me. I know real leather is a feature some people really like, but for me I'd rather cloth or, at worst, fake leather.
True, but if Ford says it's leather but it's really just vinyl or some other oil-based fabric, they're not being ethical to their paying customers either... may as well give Ford counterfeit money in return... fair?

Bookmarks & Social Networks